United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-02-2010, 12:27 PM
SilverSurfer

Default Re: Hull 1-1 Chelski FT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
They have some very good players and can be excellent, but there is something not quite right about them. It's difficult to explain, but they are lacking something.
I've wondered too. I can only think that they just lack a bit of inspiration in midfield or upfront. Most of the time they're pretty efficient but there hasn't been anyone come into their midfield or attack in 4-5 years since Robben that has the ability to make you go "£#%&! me, that was good" - a Wazza, Torres or Fabregas. Chelsea can make you swear by infuriating you but there's little magic in their play.

While they have the foundations of good side for another 5 years - Cole, Mikel, Essien, Ivanovic, Cech, even Terry and Carvalho if he stays - they're all defensive players. Anelka apart, they don't really have anyone in the 23-28 age bracket who has made a real impression in an attacking sense in several years.

But they're good enough for this season and large parts of next too and I expect them to beat L'Arse on Sunday though.

Unread 03-02-2010, 12:28 PM
LaPaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzalsar3
The only bottle they lacked was snatching at their shots.
That's gibberish

Unread 03-02-2010, 12:48 PM
MJ Ramone

Default Re: Hull v Chelski KO 7.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
good work tonight lads.
Yeah, well played.
I accept the champagne after another MOTM performance, but it wasn't just down to me. I couldn't have done it without the other lads who I thought were absolutely fantastic on the night. Different class.

Well done Geoff.

Unread 03-02-2010, 01:55 PM
SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
anelka is 31

chelsea were always efficient under mourinho but they were hardly an entertaining side. it's not really a tradition they have, tbh. the way the squad is built and the way they play is not designed to allow for flair, for free expression.
Is he? I thought he was only 28-29. Well more my theory then. Chelsea have been efficient since Mourinho's days, and perhaps that's part of this "something missing" that I can't quite put my finger on either. They've changed very little in style and remain dependent on the same players in 5 years. Not even our treble team stayed so static.

As to Ancelotti, I agree and said at the start of the season his record, in league terms, isn't that great.

He's very untested at trying to balance league and European Cup campaigns and more or less gave up on the league when he was at Milan. Being unable to get the best out of Gourcouff doesn't augur well either so who knows how he is at regenerating ageing teams.

Fergie got slated a while back when he suggested that Chelsea had plateaued and there was little chance of them developing but I think it remains the case.

Unread 03-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Time For Heroes

Default Re: Hull v Chelski KO 7.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldosgoodallthetime
2-1 Chelsea with a late goal. mark my words, they aren't as good as everyone makes out. They only play well if they score early.
Not quite right but I told you they aren't that good if they don't score early.
Closed Thread