United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-02-2010, 11:47 PM
toseeunited

Thumbs up Re: Rooney surpasses Ronaldo

one thing we'd all agree on is we've seen some £#%&!ing great strikers over the years at our great club

(sorry, i know that's as far gay-lord as possible but i'm STILL buzzin from the last 2 games)

Unread 01-02-2010, 11:57 PM
red in cumbria

Default Re: Rooney surpasses Ronaldo

Re Duncan Edwards - it is rare I have come across such unanimity over a player as young as he was. Literally EVERYBODY who saw him play regularly agreed he would have become one of the greatest ever, very possibly up there with Edison Arantes do Nascimento

As we all know however, 'twas not to be

Unread 01-02-2010, 11:57 PM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by toseeunited
one thing we'd all agree on is we've seen some £#%&!ing great strikers over the years at our great club

(sorry, i know that's as far gay-lord as possible but i'm STILL buzzin from the last 2 games)
i couldn't agree more.

it's pointless trying to compare players anyway. would cantona been as good in a different side? the whole success of a club is down to it's team collective. you could say dolly and daisy were as important as ruud and denis law.

there was a big debate going on it the 93/94 season as to wether they were better than the holy trinity era- pointless really!.

Unread 02-02-2010, 01:03 AM
rafabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
But that's all he did. Ruud outscored Cantona but no one will say he was a better player. I always expected Rooney to do alright in terms of goals but to help us win in other ways. Looks like he's doing both, great player and a great goalscorer. Who else could you say that about? Van Basten, Fat Ronaldo and not many more.
cristiano ronaldo? messi? shut up trap ffs

Unread 02-02-2010, 01:10 AM
red in cumbria

Yes, Sniffer's omission of "our" Ronaldo is rather odd

Why - not a great goalscorer, or not a great player?

Unread 02-02-2010, 01:20 AM
Wez

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Re Duncan Edwards - it is rare I have come across such unanimity over a player as young as he was. Literally EVERYBODY who saw him play regularly agreed he would have become one of the greatest ever, very possibly up there with Edison Arantes do Nascimento

As we all know however, 'twas not to be
Thats what my old fella and my uncle (his brother, rip) tell me/ used to tell me. He could play in any position on the pitch and put a MOTM performance in.

Lest we forget.

Unread 02-02-2010, 01:20 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Yes, Sniffer's omission of "our" Ronaldo is rather odd

Why - not a great goalscorer, or not a great player?
I was referring to strikers. Ronaldo was immense and should be in the list I mentioned, I was thinking of strikers and he played his best football imho on the right. The fact that he scored 42 goals in 1 season whilst winning everything he could at club level says it all. There are not many though, are there? That's why we got £80M for him.

Unread 02-02-2010, 01:25 AM
Tronics

That's an awesome return from someone people touted as being a creator of goals more then a scorer !

Unread 02-02-2010, 01:28 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronics
That's an awesome return from someone people touted as being a creator of goals more then a scorer !
You've just said in 1 sentence what I was trying and failing to say in about 6 posts.

Unread 02-02-2010, 01:28 AM
elhombre

rooney is £#%&!ing quality.

nothing more needs to be said.

edit: that said, i still don't quite get he's a united player...

does that make sense?

neville, giggs, scholes, vidic etc. yes, but with rooney i still don't automatically associate him with my team...

maybe it's because he's a scouser and he, [for so long] made out he was a die-hard evertonian.

Unread 02-02-2010, 06:09 AM
Stickman

It says it all that no @#%&! likes Rooney outside Utd circles, he embodies us.

Unread 02-02-2010, 06:26 AM
Sandman

Quite a few of my relatives who were lucky enough to see him play week in, week out say similar things about him.

Unread 02-02-2010, 08:17 AM
wee man

Well in a thread about the stats of United's great players can I drop one in.

George : 137 goals, 361 appearances. 38% strike rate. For a winger. Not bad.

Unread 02-02-2010, 08:39 AM
Tiberian

If Rooney is at Utd for another 3/4 years he is likely to end very high up the rankings for Top Utd players ever, current top 5(changes with regularity) for me would be Charlton, Giggs, Best, Ronaldo and Law, with heavy competition from Scholes, Keane and Robson. As great as Edwards was he played comparatively few games and did not get the chance to fulfil his potential. Hard to place but is always mentioned.

Specifically on Rooney, I am loving how he is playing at the moment, right up top, really dynamic and powerful play. Against Arsenal he gave as good a lone frontman performance as you could wish for, held the ball up, ran at the defence, provided an out ball all the time and really dominated some good players.

Very encouraging that he has started to run at defences with the ball again, very noticeable against Arsenal and City, that was something that went out of his game a little, maybe a product of the confidence brought on by the goals, hope he keeps it up.

Unread 02-02-2010, 09:10 AM
waynes ear's

what the £#%&! are you lot waffling about

£#%&! every other english @#%&!. Be glad rooney is ours

Unread 02-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Kwik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
It says it all that no @#%&! likes Rooney outside Utd circles, he embodies us.
I dread the day he becomes Ingurlund captain what with the press fawning all over him ala Saint David and Lionheart JT.

Hopefully he'll 'disgrace' himself by chinning a scouser at Anfield or something a few years down the line. Utterly detested nationwide, that's how I like our lads.

Unread 02-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
Well in a thread about the stats of United's great players can I drop one in.

George : 137 goals, 361 appearances. 38% strike rate. For a winger. Not bad.

Closed Thread