United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-02-2010, 09:14 PM
wee man

Default Clubs who can't sell tickets

Sunderland's ground is half full tonight. Wigan's was about a third full on Saturday v Everton. They also only sold half their allocation for Old Trafford (1,500) in late December despite being in the "locality". Boro's ground was deserted even when they were in the Premiership.

But when these teams get to a League Cup Final as both Boro and Wigan have done in recent years there is a huge media outcry as why they only get about 25k tickets for their supporters.

£#%&!ing joke - rant over. Don't know where that came from tbh.

Unread 01-02-2010, 09:33 PM
TravellingRed

Default Re: Clubs who can't sell tickets

Yeah but they support their local team

Unread 01-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Gruber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed81
Yeah but they support their local team
when it suits them

Unread 01-02-2010, 09:37 PM
wonky no

why dont they knock the tickets out for a fiver? seems stupid to me. surely the overheads are the same on a half empty stadium as they are on a full one?

perhaps policing might be cheaper but surely they can handle it???

Unread 01-02-2010, 09:42 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruber
when it suits them
No, no. They are there through thick and thin following the local Wigan/ Burnley/ Stoke lads who play for them. Not like us "glory hunters from London" at Old Trafford. Did no one tell you?

Unread 01-02-2010, 09:59 PM
believe

slighlty off topic but did you know that Newcastle United have the record gate attendance for the second division.

Unread 01-02-2010, 10:23 PM
TravellingRed

Beat ours?

Unread 02-02-2010, 10:58 AM
irk

many of the traditional football supporting base were priced out a long time ago to be replaced by new football types who simply dont have the depth of feeling for the game.

i used to use it as a stick to beat the fans of other teams with but given the cost of watching live football these days, the sterile atmosphere, it being available from the comfort of your living room/pub, as well as the fact that there is virtually zero chance of a club outside the top three winning anything and qualifying for the boring europa cup being pointless you can hardly blame people for not going.

Unread 02-02-2010, 11:23 AM
LaPaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
why dont they knock the tickets out for a fiver? seems stupid to me. surely the overheads are the same on a half empty stadium as they are on a full one?

perhaps policing might be cheaper but surely they can handle it???
Because they will have 1000's of supporters who are season ticket holders and have already paid full price for their tickets.

If they sell tickets at £5 then there won't be many renewing if they know that can buy them match by match at a discount.

Unread 02-02-2010, 11:26 AM
MUFC One Love

Surely not, the Premier League is 'the best in the world' (tm) isn't it?

Unread 02-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Ginners

why would you pay money to watch that shite, if they played better football more would go

Unread 02-02-2010, 11:46 AM
LaPaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
slighlty off topic but did you know that Newcastle United have the record gate attendance for the second division.
That's not true.

Up to 30 Januar 2010 they had a total attendence of 591816 at an average of 42727.

When United were in the 2nd division all the attendences were above 40,000 the lowest being 40,671 but only about three others were below Newcastles average.

I suspect it may be a record for the Championship which is a fairly new reinvention of the old 2nd division.

Unread 02-02-2010, 11:58 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPaz
That's not true.

Up to 30 Januar 2010 they had a total attendence of 591816 at an average of 42727.

When United were in the 2nd division all the attendences were above 40,000 the lowest being 40,671 but only about three others were below Newcastles average.

I suspect it may be a record for the Championship which is a fairly new reinvention of the old 2nd division.
who said anything about averages

Unread 02-02-2010, 01:50 PM
zzalsar3

Quote:
I have a feeling they do a bit of research and at least try to calculate the impact and the demand. If selling tickets at a fiver only results in 10-20% more people then they lose out financially bigtime overall.

The fact of the matter might be that even if you gave seats away for free that you couldnt convince that many more people to attend Middlesborough or Wigan matches on a sub-zero night in January. In fact they might not even come if you paid them a fiver and gave them a free hotdog!

How much would they need to pay you to before you would, say, go and watch Sale sharks or some basketball match ?

Unread 02-02-2010, 01:53 PM
wonky no

Quote:
Because they will have 1000's of supporters who are season ticket holders and have already paid full price for their tickets.

If they sell tickets at £5 then there won't be many renewing if they know that can buy them match by match at a discount.
fair enough so then they reach a happy medium. if you want to keep your seart you pay £25 if you're not arsed you pay £5/£10

Unread 02-02-2010, 02:12 PM
LaPaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
who said anything about averages
Up to 30 Januar 2010 Newcastle have played 14 home games with total attendence of 591816 at an average of 42727

Up to 30 January 1975 United had played 13 home games with a total attendence of 609370 at an average of 46875

In 1975 the second division had 22 teams but the Championship has 24 so Newcastle will play two more games so the only way to calculate the level of support is look at the average attendence.

However, at this stage of the season United had stll attracted more fans than Newcastle dispite playing one game less.

Unread 02-02-2010, 02:13 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzalsar3
The reason your last statement might not be true and is that the promotion/relegation system will eventually see small clubs have a bad season and drop out again...to be replaced by a set of eager clubs who will brings temporarily big crowds for the novelty.

If Forest, Cardiff, Leicester or Preston win promotion they will have a better chance of filling their stadia for the first year or two than Wigan folk who have grown bored of it. People who live in the areas but who have no particular allegiance buy a season ticket as a novelty.

I've known fans of teams like Villa and Sunderland who live in Manchester seriously contemplating buying season tickets at Blackburn or Burnley for a year as a local way of seeing Arsenal/Chelsea/United or Rooney/Lampard/Gerrard... oh as well as their own Villa/Sunderland players once a year.
But eventually you'll have a stream of clubs who are all bankrupt, or close to it, and the realisation will hit home that being in the premiership is actually likely to make you go bust.
And personally I don't thinka a few opposition fans buying season tickets is sustainable either.
That's the way I see it. Very few people agree with me and I haven't got a cystal ball but I fully expect it to happen.

Unread 02-02-2010, 02:18 PM
LaPaz

Quote:
fair enough so then they reach a happy medium. if you want to keep your seart you pay £25 if you're not arsed you pay £5/£10
Nobody's going to pay £25, or more to the point £500+ for a season ticket when they can wait & pay £5/£10 match by match & without the season ticket sales, which is money up front before a ball is kicked, then the majority of clubs would have major financial problems.

Unread 02-02-2010, 02:41 PM
dodger

Quote:
Up to 30 Januar 2010 Newcastle have played 14 home games with total attendence of 591816 at an average of 42727

Up to 30 January 1975 United had played 13 home games with a total attendence of 609370 at an average of 46875

In 1975 the second division had 22 teams but the Championship has 24 so Newcastle will play two more games so the only way to calculate the level of support is look at the average attendence.

However, at this stage of the season United had stll attracted more fans than Newcastle dispite playing one game less.
i think he meant a single match day attendance record.

Unread 02-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
Nobody's going to pay £25, or more to the point £500+ for a season ticket when they can wait & pay £5/£10 match by match & without the season ticket sales, which is money up front before a ball is kicked, then the majority of clubs would have major financial problems.

I often think this when yet again citeh try in vain to fill their ground by offering tickets free if your dog shits in the wasteland car-park....

How pissed-off would you be if you paid top-whack in June only to be sat there looking at a bunch of shell-suited muppets who got in for just a fiver! (or whatever gimmick they try next!)

I know citeh fans are thick @#%&!s but even they must find that hard to stomach!??:shakehead:
Closed Thread