United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-11-2009, 10:44 AM
wiganste

Football Fergie isn't interested in selling Nani

but he tells him to stop moaning and fight for his place.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news...cle235969.html

Unread 29-11-2009, 10:58 AM
dunk

Default Re: Fergie isn't interested in selling Nani

Not surprised tbh.

Atm talented attacking players are few and far between, especially wingers, I can't see us giving up and letting a clearly talented player leave just because he isn't the finished article at 22/23.

I don't buy into all the criticism he's been getting on here either. He's talented and causes trouble and is a handful for defences whenever he plays. He has worked his %@#$&!s off defensively this year too. He can be infuriating with his decision making at times, but there isn't a winger who hasn't been at some point.

Unread 29-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Jez Quigley

Slam Dunk from Dunk - that's exactly right.

Give Nani a chance. FFS - I was a balloon at 23. Not saying we should wait til he's 40 but you know what I mean.

A Nani - Anderson - Gibson - Valencia midfield gives us options that a Park - Cougar - Carrick - Fletchersauraus doesn't.

Unread 29-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
He has worked his %@#$&!s off defensively this year too. He can be infuriating with his decision making at times, but there isn't a winger who hasn't been at some point.
The criticism of his performances is fair enough but a lot of the shit he has received about his attitude is very unfair. As you say his work rate has been very impressive when he has played, quite clearly trying very hard to prove himself, never hides and does try to make things happen.

With Park back he may struggle to get games though, would imagine that against Spur it will be Obertan and Park out wide again.

Unread 29-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley

Give Nani a chance. FFS - I was a balloon at 23. Not saying we should wait til he's 40 but you know what I mean.

A Nani - Anderson - Gibson - Valencia midfield gives us options that a Park - Cougar - Carrick - Fletchersauraus doesn't.
I just think it's reached the stage with nani where he's never going to be a consistent (key word), dependable winger. he comes out with some great stuff one minute then is anonymous for 30 minutes the next.

He has worked much harder which is great to see, you can't fault his attitude in that respect, but looking at how quickly valencia has settled into pretty good form (and nani has had his run of games so he can't moan about that), it may be time for him to move on.

especially now we have another option in obi wan

Unread 29-11-2009, 11:22 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
The criticism of his performances is fair enough but a lot of the shit he has received about his attitude is very unfair. As you say his work rate has been very impressive when he has played, quite clearly trying very hard to prove himself, never hides and does try to make things happen.

With Park back he may struggle to get games though, would imagine that against Spur it will be Obertan and Park out wide again.
Oh yeah, I'm not saying he doesn't deserve any criticism, but every little thing he does is judged not good enough and he is ripped apart at times. The shit he gets about his attitude, as you say, I've read on here that he is slow and can't cross, amongst other things. He is one of the best crossers of the ball at the club, he deserves a bit of shit for not always applying that though. He certainly isn't slow, he lacks power in his running though, for me, if you know what I mean.

Unread 29-11-2009, 11:26 AM
red @rmy

£#%&! him off, he's bobbins.

Unread 29-11-2009, 11:28 AM
rebelcountyred

the reason why people give him so much shit is to do with the fact he's an emptyhead, no point having all that ability when you cannot use it in a productive manner for the benefit of your team-mates and that is his main failing, other than giving him a brain transplant i cannot see a future for him at united. As for Fergies comments i'd put it down to bumping up the sale figure just as he did when he praised darron gibson, fergies no mug.

Unread 29-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley

We'd win £#%&! all with that midfield. Our first choice midfield is Giggs-Anderson/Carrick-Fletcher-Valencia.

If Nani wants games, he's got to play better than Giggs or Valencia. At the moment he's a mile off. With Obertan looking promising and Park always being a reliable option there is very little space for Nani. As sad as it is (because he has a lot of talent) Nani isn't worth a place on the bench at the moment.

Unread 29-11-2009, 11:33 AM
El Chalten

fergie said he won't sell him in january.

mass clear out in the summer, imo.

nft.

Unread 29-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Tiberian

Quote:
Oh yeah, I'm not saying he doesn't deserve any criticism, but every little thing he does is judged not good enough and he is ripped apart at times. The shit he gets about his attitude, as you say, I've read on here that he is slow and can't cross, amongst other things. He is one of the best crossers of the ball at the club, he deserves a bit of shit for not always applying that though. He certainly isn't slow, he lacks power in his running though, for me, if you know what I mean.
If you read a match thread in a game Nani plays in he gets a constant stream of abuse, comments on almost everything he does badly, which to be fair on occasion is quite a lot, but it can seem his performances are scrutinised on a critical level to a far harsher standard than any other player at Utd.

I think some of it goes back to his last league game in his first season for us, a stupid sending off against West Ham when the league was on the line. Up to that point the general feeling was that he was a great prospect, had a very positive first season and had quite a lot of fan backing.

I know what you mean about running power, struggles to burst through tackles, can be knocked off the ball quite easily. Pretty fast in a straight line when no-one is bumping him though.

It is up to Nani to change the perception of him, he has had a decent run this season and despite early promise he has not delivered consistently enough.

Unread 29-11-2009, 11:53 AM
borsuk

he doesn't have any notable pace and his crosses often fail to beat the first defender. i don't mind his workrate but i think he's poor defensively - compare the solidity valencia gives us.

the main problem with nani isn't any of these things. the main problem is his 'football brain' works too slow. he doesn't spot a pass in time, he needs too long on the ball to make a decision. obertan is a mile from the finished article but his ability to play first time, give and go, see runs in time to play the pass - these are things nani has shown no sign of being able to do.

lots of players get slagged off and nani has been a favourite whipping boy for a while, some criticism is no doubt ott and unfair. but i don't see any signs that he has what it takes to play for manchester united and i think a move is going to be best for him and for us.

Unread 29-11-2009, 11:54 AM
zzalsar3

Quote:
I don't buy into all the criticism he's been getting on here either. He's talented and causes trouble and is a handful for defences whenever he plays. He has worked his %@#$&!s off defensively this year too. He can be infuriating with his decision making at times, but there isn't a winger who hasn't been at some point.
Spot on.

Unread 29-11-2009, 11:56 AM
marlo

he is our best wide player after giggs.

Unread 29-11-2009, 11:59 AM
rebelcountyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
if he was white you'd be calling him shite.

Unread 29-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:

Unread 29-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Bobda

Barcelona made an enquiry about Nani in the summer, while AC Milan and Benfica have been linked to a New Year move. Ferie said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferie
"Some big clubs have been mentioned for Nani, like Milan and Benfica, but there has been no contact made with us"
Small fry.

Unread 29-11-2009, 12:02 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcountyred
if he was white you'd be calling him shite.
im not a fan of valencia

Unread 29-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
im not a fan of valencia
exception to the rule tbh

Unread 29-11-2009, 12:03 PM
zzalsar3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
he comes out with some great stuff one minute then is anonymous for 30 minutes the next.
You are describing every winger in the world though. Even the good ones. Hence why even players like Giggs and Ronaldo got an absolute roasting from fans repeatedly. Winger is the most frustrating position to play. People expect you to make something happen all the time. And its impossible.

A central midfielder does his job if he controls the ball and moves it on with a a 10-15 yard pass. But he has many more choices. More options. More people to pass to. If he is closed down by an opponent he can pass it backwards to his centreback and noone thinks anything of it. Or he can move the ball away in any direction.

But a winger is closed down much more easily. The defenders know which way he wants to go before he starts. Everyone does. He's got the touchline on one side of him.

If a winger passes backwards we call it unadventurous failure.

If a winger instead tries to take on 2-3 men and the third one tackles him, we call it failure too.

If a winger beats a man at pace but then his cross is off balance and snuffed out, we call it failure.
Closed Thread