Fatboy Shrek

Default Re: Nani + Obertan

Nani fast?

Unread 09-11-2009, 12:33 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
I find this statement quite bizarre. He's barely clocked up enough first team mins.

I also find the comparison to previous sides a little odd too, especially when the context is completely different. I bang on about this a lot but you can't divorce things from their context and by taking one player from one side, a trasitional one in a league where the overall competition is arguably better, to a one way back when - a side arguably seen to be one of Utd's greatests - just seems a little churlish.
and the time he has clocked has been pretty impressive imo.

Unread 09-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Appletango

Quote:
I find this statement quite bizarre. He's barely clocked up enough first team mins.

I also find the comparison to previous sides a little odd too, especially when the context is completely different. I bang on about this a lot but you can't divorce things from their context and by taking one player from one side, a trasitional one in a league where the overall competition is arguably better, to a one way back when - a side arguably seen to be one of Utd's greatests - just seems a little churlish.
Admittedly, it is too early to judge Obertan but he just looks a bit strange to me. He runs like a duck and just doesn't look right to me. Would love to be wrong though.

Unread 09-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletango
Admittedly, it is too early to judge Obertan but he just looks a bit strange to me. He runs like a duck and just doesn't look right to me. Would love to be wrong though.
On the other side of the coin he's fast, appears to have good awareness and has good appreciation of the ball.

Unread 09-11-2009, 12:40 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
On the other side of the coin he's fast, appears to have good awareness and has good appreciation of the ball.
Dunno if that really stacks up equally with him, "not looking right" though?

Unread 09-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Redordead

Although we all advocate giving them time - the argument against is for example Arshavin, who was imediately a hit. We would be loving him playing for us this season.

Unread 09-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Lok

Quote:
And that little trick he did to go round Ivanovic was sublime. He's got all the assets of a top quality player. Just hope he continues to get game time and builds on his strong start.

Unread 09-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
you could be right. but i still don't think giving ivanovich the chance to bang in a series of crosses to drogba and counting on him doing it as badly as he did is a wise tactical decision tbh.
When you're facing a side of Chelsea's class at their ground, with a team of XI who are all on probably £100k+ a week, you have to accept that somewhere they are going to be able to do something in the 90mins. If you can channel that through their weakest attacking outlet, you take your chances. It's impossible to stop them without completely giving up your own attacking instincts (park the bus...) so I think it was a bold, tactically impressive display from all concerned. The conception at managerial level & the implementation of the players was 100% correct.

The failure in the plan was the selfish retention of the ball by Rooney when Anderson was through, and then not cutting it back to Valencia. The linesmans flag, the penalty, the thrash at the ball by Valencia late on & Giggs trying to replicate another first time lob he scored against Chelsea when a touch & a stroke in when he was through.

It was our own fault for my money. You have to be decisive, it's like taking the heavyweight crown by knocking someone out, it's indisputable then.

Unread 09-11-2009, 12:45 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redordead
Although we all advocate giving them time - the argument against is for example Arshavin, who was imediately a hit. We would be loving him playing for us this season.
What are you on about?

Unread 09-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
That's the benefit of hindsight though and tbh if folk get fecked off with Berbatov for being 'lazy' (often unjustified this season) Arshavin's the same if not worse, but he scores goals so that's ok.

He was a risky signing from Zenit, Wenger even admitted as much prior to signing him (quotes can be found from the Summer). He's a good player but blew hot and cold enough times for clubs to have a look and then say no ta.

And no, fwiw, I wouldn't swap him. Seems to be a bit of a clown off the pitch and is probably eyeing up a Summer move to Spain too.

Unread 09-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Baron

Arshavin is also 28 - he's the finished article. Give some of our wingers 5 years & see if they get to that level.

Unread 09-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Redordead

Quote:
That's the benefit of hindsight though and tbh if folk get fecked off with Berbatov for being 'lazy' (often unjustified this season) Arshavin's the same if not worse, but he scores goals so that's ok.

He was a risky signing from Zenit, Wenger even admitted as much prior to signing him (quotes can be found from the Summer). He's a good player but blew hot and cold enough times for clubs to have a look and then say no ta.

And no, fwiw, I wouldn't swap him. Seems to be a bit of a clown off the pitch and is probably eyeing up a Summer move to Spain too.
I am surprised you wouldnt want him - though he does seem a #@&%!.
I was more pointing to the fact he was a developed player for a reasonable fee, we perhaps could do with a couple in the squad, we seem to be at either
end of the spectrum.

Unread 09-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Redordead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
Arshavin is also 28 - he's the finished article. Give some of our wingers 5 years & see if they get to that level.
My point.

we maybe need a 28 yearold doing it while the others learn their craft.

Unread 09-11-2009, 01:08 PM
borsuk

what we need is a bit of patience from the fans and a bit of luck with injuries. and somebody to remember where we're usually placed in the first week of november.

Unread 09-11-2009, 01:11 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Thumbs up Re: Nani + Obertan

Quote:
what we need is a bit of patience from the fans and a bit of luck with injuries. and somebody to remember where we're usually placed in the first week of november.

Unread 09-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
I am surprised you wouldnt want him - though he does seem a #@&%!.
I was more pointing to the fact he was a developed player for a reasonable fee, we perhaps could do with a couple in the squad, we seem to be at either
end of the spectrum.
No argument there, we possibly do - particularly in a role further forwards. I'm just not sure I'd want him.

However, we've now got Obertan and the other Serb to arrive in January. The latter will probably be that type of player if he fulfils his potential so I guess we'll have to be a bit patient.

I can't see Utd splashing out on someone like Silva. I'd quite like Hamsik or the lad at Bordeaux. Not as experienced as the likes of Arshavin though.

Unread 09-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Whalefish

Thumbs up Re: Nani + Obertan

Quote:
That too.

Unread 09-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Baron

Quote:
I can't see Utd splashing out on someone like Silva. I'd quite like Hamsik or the lad at Bordeaux. Not as experienced as the likes of Arshavin though.
Gourcuff - yes please. Could have got him for €13m (I know the history, but that's how much Bordeaux paid.

Diego was €20m to Juve, he's exactly what we needed. Scored 3 in 10 games already.

We have no money, blah blah blah.

Unread 09-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
Gourcuff - yes please. Could have got him for €13m (I know the history, but that's how much Bordeaux paid.

Diego was €20m to Juve, he's exactly what we needed. Scored 3 in 10 games already.

We have no money, blah blah blah.
That's probably why we'll have to be patient with the other lads. Tbh I'd quite like to see Eikrem get a chance eventually. He seems a very clever player around the penalty area and is not only developing how Ole expected him to but also developing into a promising young talent.

From the little I've seen from the French league this season that Sissoko lad looks like one to watch too. And yes, I think he is the brother of the ex Liverpool giraffe.

Unread 09-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Withers

I've run out of patience with Obertan tbh.
Closed Thread