United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Redordead

Default Nani + Obertan

Not a WUM,

I would like to see a game start with both Nani and Obertan – I like United playing with 2 fast wingers-

I would love to see Nani Obertan Rooney and Owen – Fletch and Ando – Evra Fab/Raph any of the 4 centre backs and VDS.

I just want to see fast attacking Utd – not only when we go 1-0 down.

Also all these guys who keep saying bin this winger etc – can we not have all 4/5 of them and see how they do over the next couple of seasons? Good competition and all that- This Nani witch hunt is embarrassing – I read about his criticisms in reference to the Chelsea game?? He is a talent who needs confidence and to work on his crossing.

If Nani had put in Giggs or Valencias shift in yesterday they would be burning his image.

Maybe he wont cutit or be good enough – but he is trying and working hard – since when do Utd fans boo and shout at their own ?? I actually think he would have been another goal threat for us yesterday ( though Obertan looks promising ).

Unread 09-11-2009, 11:10 AM
antonin jablonsky

Default Re: Nani + Obertan

Nani isn't fast.

Valencia was excellent yesterday, if Nani put in performances like that, maybe he wouldn't get such a hard time.

Unread 09-11-2009, 11:11 AM
wiganste

If Nani had put ina shift similar to Valencia's yesterday, we'd be singing his praises.

Unread 09-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redordead
If Nani had put in Giggs or Valencias shift in yesterday they would be burning his image.
You are kidding, aren't you? Valencia was one of our best players yesterday. Nani isn't capable of playing with that sort of discipline. Chelsea didn't get a sniff down that side.

Giggs has earned the right to have the odd bad performance because of his past performances. He wasn't at it yesterday but he'll come good next time.

I hope Nani cuts it and he's certainly trying hard, but he continues to make the same mistakes. There's not a chance I'd pick him over Giggs or Valencia. And with Obertan looking impressive, Nani isn't going to get a lot of playing time.

Unread 09-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Nani isn't fast.

Valencia was excellent yesterday, if Nani put in performances like that, maybe he wouldn't get such a hard time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
If Nani had put ina shift similar to Valencia's yesterday, we'd be singing his praises.
Your thread is done in 2 posts. Well done.

Unread 09-11-2009, 11:16 AM
koppas

Anyone who said Valencia had a poor game yesterday needs to go into a bathroom, run a hot bath, get a razor blade and slit their wrists. He was fantastic yesterday.

Unread 09-11-2009, 11:19 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
Anyone who said Valencia had a poor game yesterday needs to go into a bathroom, run a hot bath, get a razor blade and slit their wrists. He was fantastic yesterday.
He's really settling in well now, been in very good form over the last few weeks and added goals to his performances too, shoulda scored yesterday mind. Problem for nani is that Obertan has come in and looked very comfortable and classy, with Valencia nailing down that right side, nani is gonna get squeezed out by Giggs and Obertan on the left imo and this'll mean he's gonna struggle for games.

Unread 09-11-2009, 11:21 AM
koppas

Quote:
He's really settling in well now, been in very good form over the last few weeks and added goals to his performances too, shoulda scored yesterday mind. Problem for nani is that Obertan has come in and looked very comfortable and classy, with Valencia nailing down that right side, nani is gonna get squeezed out by Giggs and Obertan on the left imo and this'll mean he's gonna struggle for games.
Totally agree.

My only concern about Valencia was his lack of goals, as SAFO pointed out, but he already has 3/4 doesn't he? Think that is the same/more than he got from all of last season. Should easily hit double figures imo.

Unread 09-11-2009, 11:23 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
Totally agree.

My only concern about Valencia was his lack of goals, as SAFO pointed out, but he already has 3/4 doesn't he? Think that is the same/more than he got from all of last season. Should easily hit double figures imo.
3 I think, he got given the one against CSKA didn't he. Very nearly saved us a point at Anfield too. feel a bit sad for Nani but he's had plenty of chances really, I think as was said here last week his main problem is he just isn't quick enough.

Unread 09-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Baron

Quote:
3 I think, he got given the one against CSKA didn't he. Very nearly saved us a point at Anfield too. feel a bit sad for Nani but he's had plenty of chances really, I think as was said here last week his main problem is he just isn't quick enough.
Make him Valencia's understudy. Giggs & Obertan on the left.

%@#$&!s to Park.

Unread 09-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Redordead

My concern for Valencia is the end product, he seems like a good lad and its certainly early days, his crossing hasnt impressed and will he get us goals?? He seems rather Park like,.

Unread 09-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Lok

Quote:
My concern for Valencia is the end product, he seems like a good lad and its certainly early days, his crossing hasnt impressed and will he get us goals?? He seems rather Park like,.
His crossing is excellent and certainly much better than Nani's.

Unread 09-11-2009, 11:47 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
His crossing is excellent and certainly much better than Nani's.
and he has 3 goals already, could've been more too.

Unread 09-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Baron

Quote:
A combination of & :shakehead:

Unread 09-11-2009, 11:55 AM
borsuk

i thought giggs very poor yesterday. he wasn't really supporting rooney consistently and was unusually poor positionally, giving ivanovich(?) loads of space down the chelsea right. he (the serbian rb, not giggs) had a shocker with his crossing, thankfully, but we were very open down that side. o'shea will no doubt get a kicking from some people but chelsea's left side barely existed for most of the match and that's where most of their threat comes from, with cole and anelka or drogba dropping left a lot. both valencia and o'shea did great work stopping anything coming down that side but giggs and evra gave them far too much space down our left. obertan, notably, put the rb back on his heels straight away with the threat of his pace and with some direct running.

giggs needs to play in the middle, not on the left. he's given us some great performances out there (city being the standout) but he's not got the same physical attributes as he once had and, frankly, he struggled physically against ivanovich yesterday. giggs back in the middle when we need his craft, give obertan and valencia the wings, especially with some easier games coming up.

Unread 09-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
i thought giggs very poor yesterday. he wasn't really supporting rooney consistently and was unusually poor positionally, giving ivanovich(?) loads of space down the chelsea right. he (the serbian rb, not giggs) had a shocker with his crossing, thankfully, but we were very open down that side. o'shea will no doubt get a kicking from some people but chelsea's left side barely existed for most of the match and that's where most of their threat comes from, with cole and anelka or drogba dropping left a lot. both valencia and o'shea did great work stopping anything coming down that side but giggs and evra gave them far too much space down our left. obertan, notably, put the rb back on his heels straight away with the threat of his pace and with some direct running.

giggs needs to play in the middle, not on the left. he's given us some great performances out there (city being the standout) but he's not got the same physical attributes as he once had and, frankly, he struggled physically against ivanovich yesterday. giggs back in the middle when we need his craft, give obertan and valencia the wings, especially with some easier games coming up.
Unusually for you Borsers, I think you missed the point of Giggs' movement & the fact United ensured all Chelsea's attacking play was effectively forced to go down the weakest of all their attacking outlets - Ivanovic.

Giggs dragged him inside repeatedly, Evra was in & overlapping time after time after time, we just never used him properly. O'Shea & Valencia knew the Chelsea left was effectively their major strength, Anelka drifts there, Cole is infinitely better than Ivanovic with the ball & has the pace to cause problems. For once, in an away game against the big boys, we got it tactically bang on, & Cole was never past the halfway line due to Valencia pushing up on him - Giggs wasn't letting Ivanovic go as such, but he was exploiting his lack of ability with the ball. Let him go, leave Evra to deal with him, when he inevitably £#%&!s up we broke. If Rooney, Giggs or the ref had any semblence of vision & executed the right pass or made the right decision yesterday we'd of won.

We have no one to blame, realistically, but ourselves for not scoring yesterday, aside from 2 horrendous decisions from the officials at the Chelsea end (Rooney onside & the pen) & Rooney not passing to Anderson, nor Giggs taking a touch before beating Cech we'd of scored first & won.

Unread 09-11-2009, 12:15 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
Unusually for you Borsers, I think you missed the point of Giggs' movement & the fact United ensured all Chelsea's attacking play was effectively forced to go down the weakest of all their attacking outlets - Ivanovic.

Giggs dragged him inside repeatedly, Evra was in & overlapping time after time after time, we just never used him properly. O'Shea & Valencia knew the Chelsea left was effectively their major strength, Anelka drifts there, Cole is infinitely better than Ivanovic with the ball & has the pace to cause problems. For once, in an away game against the big boys, we got it tactically bang on, & Cole was never past the halfway line due to Valencia pushing up on him - Giggs wasn't letting Ivanovic go as such, but he was exploiting his lack of ability with the ball. Let him go, leave Evra to deal with him, when he inevitably £#%&!s up we broke. If Rooney, Giggs or the ref had any semblence of vision & executed the right pass or made the right decision yesterday we'd of won.

We have no one to blame, realistically, but ourselves for not scoring yesterday, aside from 2 horrendous decisions from the officials at the Chelsea end (Rooney onside & the pen) & Rooney not passing to Anderson, nor Giggs taking a touch before beating Cech we'd of scored first & won.
you could be right. but i still don't think giving ivanovich the chance to bang in a series of crosses to drogba and counting on him doing it as badly as he did is a wise tactical decision tbh.

Unread 09-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Appletango

Not a fan of any of the wingers to be honest.

Nani, Oberton and Park don't look like United players for me.

Giggs cannot go on forever.

Still undecided on Valencia however he is growing on me.

The worrying thing is for me, out of yesterday team probably only Rooney would get into a United side of 94/99 etc.

Unread 09-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
you could be right. but i still don't think giving ivanovich the chance to bang in a series of crosses to drogba and counting on him doing it as badly as he did is a wise tactical decision tbh.
I can't remember Ivanovich making a single cross. The tactic worked well. Giggs spent most of his time inside between the midfield and Rooney. Fergie knew that Evra would have the beating of Ivanovich. Evra would hold him up until Giggs or another midfielder could get back to help. The only time they had any joy on the right was when Anelka drifted out there. Even then Fletcher and Carrick got back to sort it out.

As has already been said, I think we got it spot on tactically. It's probably the hardest match of the season and we were clearly the better team. We were very unlucky to lose.

Unread 09-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletango
Not a fan of any of the wingers to be honest.

Nani, Oberton and Park don't look like United players for me.

Giggs cannot go on forever.

Still undecided on Valencia however he is growing on me.

The worrying thing is for me, out of yesterday team probably only Rooney would get into a United side of 94/99 etc.
I find this statement quite bizarre. He's barely clocked up enough first team mins.

I also find the comparison to previous sides a little odd too, especially when the context is completely different. I bang on about this a lot but you can't divorce things from their context and by taking one player from one side, a trasitional one in a league where the overall competition is arguably better, to a one way back when - a side arguably seen to be one of Utd's greatests - just seems a little churlish.
Closed Thread