United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-08-2017, 05:00 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Agree, and I expect he will get playing time this season.
yup. still a couple of weeks of the window open.

Unread 14-08-2017, 05:03 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
yup. still a couple of weeks of the window open.
Jose will never win you round whatever he does. Its almost admirable in a way

Unread 14-08-2017, 05:16 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Jose will never win you round whatever he does. Its almost admirable in a way
that's not true. it's just that he won't do what it would take. plus, even if we played joyous, exciting and well-organised football with a perfectly balanced midfield, he would still be a cheating @#%&!. ah, you may have a point.

Unread 14-08-2017, 05:29 PM
Red Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentSeven
i still think our best performance since fergie was the 4-2 against city. it had been a long time since we gave that lot a battering, and weren't they just overdue one?

yesterday was definitely one of our best perfomances under jose, without a single doubt, but for me it's still chelsea at home last season.

we will witness performances better than any mentioned in this topic this season though.
Yep the city one was top for me(a bit of a false dawn sadly)but yesterday the team looked big,strong,fast and skilful.

Long may it continue

Unread 14-08-2017, 05:29 PM
puressence

The best team performance since fergie was beating Everton away 3-0 under van gaal

Unread 14-08-2017, 06:31 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
The best team performance since fergie was beating Everton away 3-0 under van gaal
bit early for the bong

Unread 14-08-2017, 06:57 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
bit early for the bong
Shit!

Unread 14-08-2017, 08:45 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
bit early for the bong

Unread 14-08-2017, 08:55 PM
S/Side.Red

It was the kind of convincing routine domination that has become all to rare since Fergie left. Reduced them to practically nothing and scored four and could have had more, so that speaks for itself. Much closer to the type of performance that qualifies as higher end, rather than congratulating ourselves for drawing 1-1 with dross last season.

The big win over Leicester last year, as Mou admitted, flattered United a bit. This one was far more convincing. I still think there's improvement to be made which is even more encouraging.

Unread 14-08-2017, 09:03 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Much closer to the type of performance that qualifies as higher end, rather than congratulating ourselves for drawing 1-1 with dross last season.
Top strawman that.

Unread 14-08-2017, 09:04 PM
Billy Redface

Thumbs down

Quote:
It was the kind of convincing routine domination that has become all to rare since Fergie left. Reduced them to practically nothing and scored four and could have had more, so that speaks for itself. Much closer to the type of performance that qualifies as higher end, rather than congratulating ourselves for drawing 1-1 with dross last season.

The big win over Leicester last year, as Mou admitted, flattered United a bit. This one was far more convincing. I still think there's improvement to be made which is even more encouraging.
Dreadful apology

Unread 14-08-2017, 09:07 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Top strawman that.
Only in turn of phrase. People still going on about how we deserved more in so many of those games, such was how well we played. Always been weak arguments, we generally didn't play well enough. Yesterday we did and, even before the late goals, it was comfortable.

Basically we need to play much better at home than last season, and we don't drop as many points. This is what it looks like.

Unread 14-08-2017, 09:11 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Only in turn of phrase. People still going on about how we deserved more in so many of those games, such was how well we played. Always been weak arguments, we generally didn't play well enough. Yesterday we did and, even before the late goals, it was comfortable.

Basically we need to play much better at home than last season, and we don't drop as many points. This is what it looks like.
We didn't let early missed chances affect us either.

Could have been forgiven for tightening up after half an hour, given the struggles of last season, but we kept going and stayed on the front foot the whole game.

We still moved the ball a bit too slowly at times.

The whole team just seemed far more confident, aggressive and composed overall. West ham looked overawed. Very few games the last couple of seasons where we've dominated a team and taken it away from them.

Unread 14-08-2017, 09:12 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:

We didn't play as well as we did yesterday for most of last season but we certainly played well enough to chalk up more wins than we did. I think that's the point that was being made last season (at least until we sought to make sure we extracted something from the season).

Unread 14-08-2017, 09:15 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
We didn't play as well as we did yesterday for most of last season but we certainly played well enough to chalk up more wins than we did. I think that's the point that was being made last season (at least until we sought to make sure we extracted something from the season).
Yeah, I disagree. Especially in the second half of the season we just weren't good enough.

I liked that approach of just getting all the footballers on the pitch. West Ham ludicrously trying to sit deep and spring Chicharito meant we'd have plenty of control over most situations. Less of the lingard and Fellaini types and just let Pogba, Mata and Mkhi play. Blind at left back too. Was a far more adventurous selection and it paid off.

Unread 14-08-2017, 09:22 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
We didn't let early missed chances affect us either.

Could have been forgiven for tightening up after half an hour, given the struggles of last season, but we kept going and stayed on the front foot the whole game.

We still moved the ball a bit too slowly at times.

The whole team just seemed far more confident, aggressive and composed overall. West ham looked overawed. Very few games the last couple of seasons where we've dominated a team and taken it away from them.
Lukaku's finish for the first goal was just exceptional, think Rashford meant the ball for the overlapping Matic but Lukaku was on to it and had the ball in the net in a flash. There were a few moments before the goal where he showed some of the elements of his game that concern me but his finishing is an intimidating tool. teams could make mistakes against Utd last season and be confident they would not be punished, big part of the mental game.

Just watched it again, nah, Rashford was looking for Lukaku.

Unread 14-08-2017, 09:26 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Yeah, I disagree. Especially in the second half of the season we just weren't good enough.

I liked that approach of just getting all the footballers on the pitch. West Ham ludicrously trying to sit deep and spring Chicharito meant we'd have plenty of control over most situations. Less of the lingard and Fellaini types and just let Pogba, Mata and Mkhi play. Blind at left back too. Was a far more adventurous selection and it paid off.
Yep. Blind being there was a positive call. I like Darmian to a point but he offers diddly £#%&! coming forward and wasn't needed against a midget frontline of West ham. Blind is comfortable playing up with the likes of mkiki and Mata.

Matic ofcourse gave that level of freedom and if felt like we had an extra attacker out there because of it. And he offers a threat himself. Not just an enforcer who passes it off. He plays it early and instigated a lot of attacks.

Hopefully a permanent shift of emphasis for the majority of home games

Unread 14-08-2017, 09:26 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:

Matic was the key yesterday - was instrumental in so much - we've needed a player that can make the others tick for ages and he might just be the one. He seemed to make everyone play well. Was a superb performance.

But also we were just sharper - there were plenty of times West Ham had every player in their own half and we usually aimlessly spread the ball around the middle of the pitch ad Infinitum but not yesterday - loads of risk taking balls being played - all accurate and confident.

Very assured - just got to keep it going.

Unread 14-08-2017, 09:28 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Lukaku's finish for the first goal was just exceptional, think Rashford meant the ball for the overlapping Matic but Lukaku was on to it and had the ball in the net in a flash. There were a few moments before the goal where he showed some of the elements of his game that concern me but his finishing is an intimidating tool. teams could make mistakes against Utd last season and be confident they would not be punished, big part of the mental game.

Just watched it again, nah, Rashford was looking for Lukaku.
That's Lukaku all over: shortest route to goal. Watch those 80+ goals for Everton and they're dispatched with the minimum of fuss. He's not going to be Zlatan in the build up,but he doesn't need to be. He was good with his back to goal and always offered a threat down the left hand side when he dropped off too.

The most encouraging part imo was how wholly unarsed he seemed about the move. Just taken it all in his stride. He's going to score lots of goals nqat .

Unread 14-08-2017, 09:38 PM
Buck

Don't think Mkhitaryan is getting enough praise. When he's in the mood as he was yesterday the lad is dynamite. There are other attacking midfielders in the league who are more tidy with the ball and probably are more consistent, but in terms of pure dribbling and 'get you off the edge of your seat' factor Mkhi has my approval.
Closed Thread