United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Argentina

Default Re: Which game has left you feeling the most gutted over the years?

The gutted ones are in the previous post for me, but rather than gutted, I was so pissed off at a few...

Zalergerszeg away when we lost 1-0 in the last minute
Middlesborough FA Cup when Blanc ducked under that header to allow Viduka to score 0-2
Liverpool League Cup Final 03 when we lost 2-0.
Chelsea FA Cup Final 07. What a drab game that was.

Unread 09-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
The gutted ones are in the previous post for me, but rather than gutted, I was so pissed off at a few...

Middlesborough FA Cup when Blanc ducked under that header to allow Viduka to score 0-2
yeah ill have that one

got in the sky box that day and had a few beers with robbo and keith oneill

Unread 09-03-2011, 03:23 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina

Out on our feet, and still deserved to win and had a perfectly good goal or penalty and red card turned down

Unread 09-03-2011, 03:28 PM
Tumescent Throb

forest 0-4
vermin 2-2, goodison 85
vermin away 0-2 92
everton 0-1 95
arsenal away 2-2 03
norwich away 0-2 - more resigned than gutted
arsenal cup final in cardiff
sunderland at home 0-0 06
barcelona in rome - the £#%&!fest was (still is) as ridiculous as united's tactics

Unread 09-03-2011, 03:30 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Forgot one.

Rumbelows Cup Final vs. Villa 1994(?) 1-3
Coca Cola Cup by then. Could (probably should) have done a domestic Treble.

tbh, defeat’s a lot easier to take when you’re beaten by a superior team. Bayern home and away in 2001 for example, they were just a better team in both legs. Even that Porto home game in 2004 doesn’t piss me off that much. There was a crushing inevitability about it as the clock got closer to 90 minutes. Tim Howard

West Ham in 92 :shakehead:

Unread 09-03-2011, 03:32 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Dortmund in 97, was devestated that day.

Madrid was up there aswell, thought we had the team to go on and win it, took some time getting over that one.

Monaco was a real kick in the nuts aswell.

Unread 09-03-2011, 03:32 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs down Re: Which game has left you feeling the most gutted over the years?

3-3 at Anfield is another. The way I felt at full time, we may as well have lost 5-0. Going to that dump as Champions for the first time in 26 years, three nil up in no time and pissing all over them. I genuinely thought we were going to give them the mother of all beatings. Gutted, even now.

The class of ’94, dressed all in black. Different class

Unread 09-03-2011, 03:33 PM
beansy

Was at that Coca Cola cup final (Dean Saunders destroyed us) and the Milk Cup final when Sheff Weds beat us, and I cried.

Unread 09-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Sloane

portsmouth - fa cup quarter 2008

the treble dream gone, the lack of a blatant pen on ronaldo, carrick somehow not putting the ball in the net. diop, muntari and diarra hacking the shit out of everyone and nothing being done about it

Unread 09-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Dortmund in 97, was devestated that day.

Madrid was up there aswell, thought we had the team to go on and win it, took some time getting over that one.

Monaco was a real kick in the nuts aswell.
monaco, good shout.

most of my disappointments have been in europe looking back. obviously because we have done so well domestically for the last 18 years.

i remember being strangely angry when we beat chelsea 5-3 at stamford bridge. we had gone 5-0 up and let in 3 late, sloppy goals and i was livid that we'd not kept a clean sheet i remember my mates having a go at me for being a spoilt bastard

Unread 09-03-2011, 03:39 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
i remember my mates having a go at me for being a spoilt bastard
Yea, I’ve had a few of those

3-0 over Everton last season. Left OT rather deflated, moaning to my mates about how obvious it was that any half decent side would have taken us apart

Unread 09-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
3-3 at Anfield is another. The way I felt at full time, we may as well have lost 5-0. Going to that dump as Champions for the first time in 26 years, three nil up in no time and pissing all over them. I genuinely thought we were going to give them the mother of all beatings. Gutted, even now.

The class of ’94, dressed all in black. Different class
yes, these are the real gut-wrenchers - missed opportunities. we were still ripping them apart on the break even after the £#%&!ers had equalised

Unread 09-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Zorg

Sheff Wed league cup final 1991.

We'd trounced the vermin, Arsenal and Leeds on the way to the final and then lost to that shower of shit. We were down the front and had to put up with a jobsworth copper blocking our view the entire match, despite the shouts of 'move out the way you £#%&!ing cockney @#%&!!'.

Really strange and horrible feeling watching the Wednesday fans going mental, I didn't feel an ounce of grace to be honest, just wanted to kill everyone.

Unread 09-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Sparky***

We all know the obvious ones which have been mentioned several times above.

But i'm going to go for another game which has probably left me feeling deflated like no other in recent years.

April 29th 2006 Chelsea 3 - 0 Manchester utd

Mourinho's Chelsea needing to win to seal their 2nd consecutive premier league title, we go there knowing a draw would make them have to wait. But they completely destroyed us.

Culminating with ricardo carvalho running the length of the pitch to volley the ball home past edwin and lead on the celebrations which stuck in throat long before we got to exact revenge in 2008.

It was such an emphatic result that i remember thinking 'this is it then', how could we compete? Very very depressing at the time.

Unread 09-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
We all know the obvious ones which have been mentioned several times above.

But i'm going to go for another game which has probably left me feeling deflated like no other in recent years.

April 29th 2006 Chelsea 3 - 0 Manchester utd

Mourinho's Chelsea needing to win to seal their 2nd consecutive premier league title, we go there knowing a draw would make them have to wait. But they completely destroyed us.

Culminating with ricardo carvalho running the length of the pitch to volley the ball home past edwin and lead on the celebrations which stuck in throat long before we got to exact revenge in 2008.

It was such an emphatic result that i remember thinking 'this is it then', how could we compete? Very very depressing at the time.
that's unlike you, mate. must've really hurt.

Unread 09-03-2011, 03:56 PM
magic_cantona

Thumbs down Re: Which game has left you feeling the most gutted over the years?

Porto - the Tim Howard holocaust

Was sat in the East Upper and just knew it was going in as soon as Phil Neville gave away a £#%&!-all free kick.Quite a few Porto fans in the United end too.

Added to that, the Scholes goal.

Unread 09-03-2011, 03:56 PM
dunk

West Brom (a) and (h) this season, for different reasons.

I was £#%&!ing fuming that we didn't win the home game, I watched it on my own in a bar in Cyprus and it ruined my £#%&!ing day

The away game was possibly the worst United performance I had seen in 2 decades, £#%&!ing awful, I was mad as hell. Also, just knew it was the end of G.Nev

Unread 09-03-2011, 04:25 PM
SilverSurfer

Another shout here for those few April days in 92. Personally I knew we'd £#%&!ed it when we lost at home to Forest and so did most of our coach on the trip home. Nobody said a thing for three hours. I'll always remember, as we pulled into the car park where we all gathered, one guy walking down the aisle saying "well that's it £#%&!ed for another year" and no-one disagreed. Some of the other defeats mentioned in this thread were tough too (Dortmund, Real 00) but the league was all that mattered for so long and we'd got within touching distance and fallen on our arses. The last week has been shitty but nothing like that. Still think my most doomlordist moments about United arise from the events of that week.

To add a different one to pile, Sheff Wed at home 86 was pretty traumatic for a young Surfer.

Unread 09-03-2011, 04:34 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Rooney broke his foot after about an hour in that one with it 1-0 and we were playing quite well, IIRC, all the commentators whittered on obout after that was England's World Cup hopes , we just went to pieces after that. We had been unbeaten and playing well for about 2 months as well and were back in the race
We had blown it with that pathetic draw at home to Sunderland, really

G Nev mouthing off before the game about how it was "a great chance to boost our goal difference" :shakehead:

Unread 09-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
Another shout here for those few April days in 92. Personally I knew we'd £#%&!ed it when we lost at home to Forest and so did most of our coach on the trip home. Nobody said a thing for three hours. I'll always remember, as we pulled into the car park where we all gathered, one guy walking down the aisle saying "well that's it £#%&!ed for another year" and no-one disagreed. Some of the other defeats mentioned in this thread were tough too (Dortmund, Real 00) but the league was all that mattered for so long and we'd got within touching distance and fallen on our arses. The last week has been shitty but nothing like that. Still think my most doomlordist moments about United arise from the events of that week.

To add a different one to pile, Sheff Wed at home 86 was pretty traumatic for a young Surfer.
yeah, i'll throw in luton away. and that bruce foul on david white after giggs' pearler as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
We had blown it with that pathetic draw at home to Sunderland, really

G Nev mouthing off before the game about how it was "a great chance to boost our goal difference" :shakehead:
not the best game but did more than enough to win - hardly pathetic. in fact united were in full-on title winning run-in mode until their keeper made those two or three top drawer saves that effectively ended the charge. a very bad night was had by all that er night.
Closed Thread