United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Love United, Hate Glazer

Unread 03-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Gorilla Monsoon

Default Have you ever wondered what the Glazers plan actually is?

I mean, i know they're absolute @#%&!s, and they've saddled the club with a mountain of debt, but you just wonder what their actual long term plan was when buying the club.

They must have had an inch of financial sense to have the money in the first place, and own sports clubs. I just wonder what they planned on getting out of it in the long/short term.

Sensible replies please, i dont really think we need any 'saddle the club with debt and run us into the ground, the @#%&!s'.

Unread 03-02-2010, 01:13 PM
red in cumbria

Like many others, they didn't see the financial crash coming, I suppose.......

I expect they have always been thinking of selling us on at a profit at some future date, but as said above this has been overtaken by events

Unread 03-02-2010, 01:24 PM
redloner

The old man had the business sense and he built the empire. Huey, Louie and Dewie seem set on ruining it all by being lousy businessmen.

Unread 04-02-2010, 07:57 PM
borsuk

at a guess, hike ticket prices, revamp sponsorship, join a european super league and sell tv rights individually, increase sales in the far east.

they've increased revenues by a fair bit and will probably continue to do so. i presume the financial crisis has pushed them back by making it harder to rejig the debt on better terms but i think the plan was always to load debt on the club and increase revenues to allow for a profit even with servicing costs.

the big pushes, i would guess, would be in merchandising (which has huge potential for growth) and tv rights in the next few years.

Unread 04-02-2010, 09:09 PM
RedMenace

TV rights seems the obvious thing to try and challenge from their point of view but I'm not sure merchandise can be pushed up much further. United have always been considered one of the best as regards their merchandise operation.

Unread 04-02-2010, 10:52 PM
redloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
TV rights seems the obvious thing to try and challenge from their point of view but I'm not sure merchandise can be pushed up much further. United have always been considered one of the best as regards their merchandise operation.
In three years time, the question will be whether United takes it back in-house or continues with the outsource to Nike. I guess they have to take a gamble on £23m fixed each year (or what Nike offer on renewal) versus going it alone again.

Unread 04-02-2010, 10:59 PM
RedMenace

Good question alright. I'd assume they get some sort of idea of how much product they're selling or Nike are selling on their behalf?. A possibly increased fixed amount deal would seem logical given their need to be doing their sums for a number of years in advance.

Unread 05-02-2010, 09:33 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
you're probably right, though i heard some journalist on a podcast the other day (bbc one, i think) say that only 5% of united's merchandising revenue was from asia. given the size of the (real and potential) fan base there, and the economic growth in some of the larger markets, there could be a real possibility of increasing merchandise etc over there.

personally, if i had to guess, i'd say that tv rights is what they'll focus on. the premier league has a collective deal atm and this is unlikely to change short-term. in the medium term, however, i'd expect the big clubs to want to weaken the collective tv rights deal, probably by getting the other clubs to agree to allow clubs' own tv stations to compete directly with the premier league.

atm, for example, here in poland i can watch the premier league on canal+ but not on mutv - they can only show first team games with a delay. the big clubs might try to weaken the collective rights deal by getting the other clubs to agree that they can transmit matches on their own stations, say via the internet, so i could choose canal+ (for all premier league games) or mutv (for only united). that would probably be a compromise that might be struck if there was a genuine threat of a european super league. expect plenty of european super league 'news' before the next deal is negotiated.