United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-02-2008, 01:58 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Imagine the forum meltdown if Manucho was the only striker signing.

At the moment I'm more interested in Utd sorting out a quality full back. Mr P Lahm please.

That and Utd getting rid of MSI when they sign Tevez outright.
We do need a full back, would you not say Lahm is a little on the short side though, he's not the athlete that Paddy is and I can't see him adapting as well to the aerial threat in England, plus, I shortarse in defence is acceptable, 2 is asking for trouble.

Getting shut of MSI would be superb.

And we definitely need another striker, even if Maucho does arrive, because he will be number 4 or 5 and, realistically, Saha needs replacing.

Unread 28-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Whalefish

In fairness I really couldn't care less if he was. I'm a little worried re our defensive options beyond the first choice four. Chuck in Wes's possible departure and the uncertainty around Neville's long term fitness a few additions are needed there IMO.

Unread 28-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
We do need a full back, would you not say Lahm is a little on the short side though, he's not the athlete that Paddy is and I can't see him adapting as well to the aerial threat in England, plus, I shortarse in defence is acceptable, 2 is asking for trouble.

Getting shut of MSI would be superb.

And we definitely need another striker, even if Maucho does arrive, because he will be number 4 or 5 and, realistically, Saha needs replacing.
Re Lahm, maybe I dunno. He's just looked class everytime I've seen him. What other options are there? Boswinga? I'd rather not have another Portuguese player in fairness and I don't really know how good he is. The last Porto right back who looked decent in Europe, and we were linked with, has struggled to settle in the Premier League.

Heitinga isn't bad but in the Dutch league it's difficult to tell how he'd do stepping up a couple of levels.

Unread 28-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Imagine the forum meltdown if Manucho was the only striker signing.

At the moment I'm more interested in Utd sorting out a quality full back. Mr P Lahm please.

That and Utd getting rid of MSI when they sign Tevez outright.
Maybe we don't need, Manucho will hopefully get his WP and Campbell will be coming back from a terrific loan spell with Hull, two good back up strikers there and Welbeck will be a year older.

Unread 28-02-2008, 02:16 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
Maybe we don't need, Manucho will hopefully get his WP and Campbell will be coming back from a terrific loan spell with Hull, two good back up strikers there and Welbeck will be a year older.
Yup, we've gort the Samba Richardson twins coming in as fullbacks too. Really I think a midfielder is probbly the best option, Veloso or Jagielka for me.

Unread 28-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Barca '91

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I'm completely serious, look at the size of the letters I used for the word boom.

Unread 28-02-2008, 02:17 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Richards at RB

Unread 28-02-2008, 02:42 PM
dunk

Quote:
Re Lahm, maybe I dunno. He's just looked class everytime I've seen him. What other options are there? Boswinga? I'd rather not have another Portuguese player in fairness and I don't really know how good he is. The last Porto right back who looked decent in Europe, and we were linked with, has struggled to settle in the Premier League.

Heitinga isn't bad but in the Dutch league it's difficult to tell how he'd do stepping up a couple of levels.
I think Heitinga should have left Holland 2 or 3 years ago, probably a it too late for him now. I've not see enough of Bosingwa, although, he has always struck me as a converted winger, which never fills me with confidence.

There aren't exactly rich pickings in terms of full backs or strikers in World football, hence I suggested advertising as situations vacant, we may get some surprises in terms of the players applying for the positions.

I think Huntelaar is the way to go in terms of forward, especially as we won't ever get Benzema, supplemented by Welbeck and Campbell we would be sorted for both cover and variation, and we'd be shut of Saha.

Unread 28-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Baron

Quote:

Rafinha at Shalke has looked very good - held his own against Chelsea in both legs this season & played well in the few games I've seen.

Unread 28-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
Rafinha at Shalke has looked very good - held his own against Chelsea in both legs this season & played well in the few games I've seen.
Linked to the Vermin isn't he? Utd were supposedly watching him a few seasons ago. Looks a decent player.

There's one or two in the German league that are worth a look IMO, Mario Gomez being another.

Unread 28-02-2008, 05:01 PM
dunk

Quote:
Linked to the Vermin isn't he? Utd were supposedly watching him a few seasons ago. Looks a decent player.

There's one or two in the German league that are worth a look IMO, Mario Gomez being another.
Is he the big striker at Stuttgart? I've not seen him, I've heard him mentioned once or twice, mainly by FM heads though

Unread 28-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Is he the big striker at Stuttgart? I've not seen him, I've heard him mentioned once or twice, mainly by FM heads though
Yeah, only saw him play last season. Certainly a tall unit.

Unread 28-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Tumescent Throb

I'm still far from convinced that United need a striker tbh. If the right player came up then yes we should be in. But the question is who? And we already have the best English forward around, and the top goal-scorer in Europe. On top of that we have Carlitos Tevez who is a bundle of brilliance and inspiration.

Now chuck in Saha, Manucho, Wellbeck and there are possibilities. I also like the look of Federico Macheda. So again, who would fit in on and off the pitch?

Full-back is more pressing imo. Danny Simpson does have a chance, and it's a pity he hasn't shown his proper authority in the first team yet. O'Shea is useful cover at left-back. But our undoing last season, as it was always going to be, came in the full-back positions; we basically ran out of players. Can't be arsed trawling out the teamsheets, but it was the full-back areas (in terms of the situations conspiring against the club's full-backs around that period) that cost us the Milan tie imo, for instance.

Unread 28-02-2008, 05:24 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
but it was the full-back areas (in terms of the situations conspiring against the club's full-backs around that period) that cost us the Milan tie imo, for instance.
Can I be specific for a second and just say that it was Gabriel Heinze who cost us the tie against Milan last year.

Unread 28-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Can I be specific for a second and just say that it was Gabriel Heinze who cost us the tie against Milan last year.
If you like

I was thinking more of Neville's injury, and Evra picking up knocks for fun. Then add that to Heinze coming back from injury, and then throw in Vidic's clavicle and Ferdinand's groin (or thigh was it?)

All in all, our cover was blown - literally. Brown covered inside leaving Fletcher covering Brown covering Neville etc etc

Unread 28-02-2008, 05:38 PM
dunk

Quote:
If you like

I was thinking more of Neville's injury, and Evra picking up knocks for fun. Then add that to Heinze coming back from injury, and then throw in Vidic's clavicle and Ferdinand's groin (or thigh was it?)

All in all, our cover was blown - literally. Brown covered inside leaving Fletcher covering Brown covering Neville etc etc
You're quite right, but it was a bit of a freak to have all those players missing from the same area at once.

If Heinze hadn't gifted the goals at OT we'd have gone through comfortably, nevermind the 2 he could be accused of giving away in the San Siro. Useless @#%&!.

Unread 28-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
You're quite right, but it was a bit of a freak to have all those players missing from the same area at once.

If Heinze hadn't gifted the goals at OT we'd have gone through comfortably, nevermind the 2 he could be accused of giving away in the San Siro. Useless @#%&!.
I reckoned on just 2 injuries to the wrong players - Neville and Ferdinand - would seriously hurt us. As it was we did £#%&!ing brilliantly to hang in there despite a shit load more right across the defence, and thus our slender options higher up the pitch were drained to the tune of one injured Park, and one Darren Fletcher at full-back etc etc

Also, Heinze was a bit unlucky that Kaka did him on the first one, and Evra took him out ridiculously on the second - I've rarely seen a supposedly top class player hit the panic button like Evra did on that goal.

Unread 28-02-2008, 05:52 PM
dunk

Quote:
I reckoned on just 2 injuries to the wrong players - Neville and Ferdinand - would seriously hurt us. As it was we did £#%&!ing brilliantly to hang in there despite a shit load more right across the defence, and thus our slender options higher up the pitch were drained to the tune of one injured Park, and one Darren Fletcher at full-back etc etc

Also, Heinze was a bit unlucky that Kaka did him on the first one, and Evra took him out ridiculously on the second - I've rarely seen a supposedly top class player hit the panic button like Evra did on that goal.
Maybe, but I £#%&!ing hate Heinze (And for the record, I didn't like him before those games), so, I think I'll leave it there.

Unread 28-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Baron

Hargreaves would be as good as anything covering at Right Back until 2 weeks is fit as well.

Unread 28-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Maybe, but I £#%&!ing hate Heinze (And for the record, I didn't like him before those games), so, I think I'll leave it there.
Yeah I got the feeling you weren't keen

Never his biggest fan myself, either.
Closed Thread