Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Lok

Default Re: Strangest United signing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
He was £#%&!ing brilliant on his debut
Was that the cup match against Villa (at home?). I remember he scored and I thought maybe he'd do ok for us. After that he just seemed too slow and didn't involve himself enough in play. Maybe he could have if given more time. I remember being particularly annoyed because I'd have preferred us to give the match time to Rossi.

Unread 26-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
Was that the cup match against Villa (at home?). I remember he scored and I thought maybe he'd do ok for us. After that he just seemed too slow and didn't involve himself enough in play. Maybe he could have if given more time. I remember being particularly annoyed because I'd have preferred us to give the match time to Rossi.
We needed experience. When it was announced Saha was out for the season before the 2nd leg of Lille I recall everyone on the forumsbeing desperate for him to extend his stay. I thought he always looked pretty good apart from having a shit match at Anfield. He was the right man at the right time for me. Brilliant move by SAF - the squad was thin.

Unread 26-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Sloane

sheringham to replace cantona, didnt turn out badly but at the time it was a bit like for me as a youngster anyway

Unread 26-07-2010, 12:29 PM
dunk

He wasn't shit and he did quite well when he was here, but it felt odd at the time.

Unread 26-07-2010, 12:38 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
Is this the same Rossi who was at that time on loan to Newcastle and (thanks to @#%&! of @#%&!s FFS overruling Roeder, reportedly) not getting any games??

Unread 26-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Is this the same Rossi who was at that time on loan to Newcastle and (thanks to @#%&! of @#%&!s FFS overruling Roeder, reportedly) not getting any games??
No. It's the Rossi who had just returned from loan to Newcastle.

HTH.

Unread 26-07-2010, 12:46 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
No. It's the Rossi who had just returned from loan to Newcastle.

HTH.
Where, as I said, he never got to actually play due to the fat @#%&!

(FFS made him the scapegoat after they lost their first game at home to Sheff Utd, apparently)

So it isn't surprising that with Chelski breathing down our necks, SAF was unwilling to take such a punt, really

Unread 26-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Where, as I said, he never got to actually play due to the fat @#%&!

(FFS made him the scapegoat after they lost their first game at home to Sheff Utd, apparently)

So it isn't surprising that with Chelski breathing down our necks, SAF was unwilling to take such a punt, really
Sorry, thought you were being a @#%&! and saying he couldn't have played at the time because he wasn't at the club.

I think if anything it was our fault for sending him to Newcastle. He was always going to struggle to get games there as they had an established front line. We may as well have kept him or sent him somewhere in the Championship where they could have guaranteed him games.

You're probably right about it being to big a risk. I was annoyed at the time because Rossi wasn't being given a fair chance and his talent was there for all to see. Seems Fergie doesn't trust players that are physically small.

Unread 26-07-2010, 12:53 PM
red in cumbria

Being a @#%&!, moi??

Just forgot that his loan was only for half a season - no need to get arsey about it

Unread 26-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Tumescent Throb

i remember United spending one summer chasing some big-headed fifteen million quid superstar

ended up with a 'value' one point five million signing of some unheard of kid from norway ffs

turned out okay though, i suppose

Unread 26-07-2010, 01:13 PM
guerreiro

Andy Gorams

Unread 26-07-2010, 01:30 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
i remember United spending one summer chasing some big-headed fifteen million quid superstar

ended up with a 'value' one point five million signing of some unheard of kid from norway ffs

turned out okay though, i suppose
Yeah, but that 'trick' hasn't come off since though has it - Bellion, Tosic, Manucho, Diouf, Dong! etc...
Ole also had the £#%&!ing balls, ability & self confidence to get his chance & £#%&!ing well take it.
Young players these days apparently have none of those attributes - & that includes the ones coming through our Academy.

Unread 26-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Zorg

Thumbs up Re: Strangest United signing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerreiro
Andy Gorams
Yep.

Unread 26-07-2010, 01:36 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Yep.
That was brilliant, bottle of bucky in hand, no teeth, 6 days worth of stubble. Wouldn't have looked out of place on a park bench in Glasgow.

Unread 26-07-2010, 01:37 PM
MJ Ramone

Exclamation Re: Strangest United signing?

Pruners??

Unread 26-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone

Pruners??
He wasn't 'signed' though...

I think Smalling is at an age where he needs to be playing football on a regular basis to improve. Otherwise the same mistakes are going to keep occurring.

Send him on loan to Blackpool when Rio returns.

nft

Unread 26-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Yeah, but that 'trick' hasn't come off since though has it - Bellion, Tosic, Manucho, Diouf, Dong! etc...
Ole also had the £#%&!ing balls, ability & self confidence to get his chance & £#%&!ing well take it.
Young players these days apparently have none of those attributes - & that includes the ones coming through our Academy.
actually I would list value signings that proved to be masterstrokes post-Solskjaer to include Sheringham, Ronaldo, VDS, Evra, Vidic and Ji Sung Park, off the top of my head.

Unread 26-07-2010, 01:47 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao

I think Smalling is at an age where he needs to be playing football on a regular basis to improve. Otherwise the same mistakes are going to keep occurring.

Send him on loan to Blackpool when Rio returns.

nft
He'll be in his mid-20s by then?

Unread 26-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
He'll be in his mid-20s by then?
Jokes have never been your strong point.

hth assists.

Unread 26-07-2010, 01:48 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
good point well made.
Closed Thread