United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-06-2010, 09:09 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Default Re: Article on the BBC & ITV coverage

Might i recommend to you all the football weekly podcasts from the guardian and whilst the world cup is on the football daily podcasts. Hosted by the fantastic James Richardson of Gazzetta fame and actually with journalists talking properly about football and giving facts and figures you didn't know.

Unread 16-06-2010, 09:51 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
Might i recommend to you all the football weekly podcasts from the guardian and whilst the world cup is on the football daily podcasts. Hosted by the fantastic James Richardson of Gazzetta fame and actually with journalists talking properly about football and giving facts and figures you didn't know.
it's not bad but the most knowledgeable ones on there still have to wade through some of the interminable banter that passes for wit on these things. richardson is fine but some of the others are awful. the bbc's world footy phone-in is probably the highest standard of comment around but there's some embarrassingly awful banter on there as well.

Unread 16-06-2010, 10:01 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
it's not bad but the most knowledgeable ones on there still have to wade through some of the interminable banter that passes for wit on these things. richardson is fine but some of the others are awful. the bbc's world footy phone-in is probably the highest standard of comment around but there's some embarrassingly awful banter on there as well.
I remember listening to that and a bloke called up and asked

"Why does Roma's Mancini insist his name should be pronounced ' man-see-ni' rather than the Italian 'man-chee-ni'?"

he was answered

"Because he is Brazilian and the Brazilians pronounce it 'man-see-ni'."

The bloke then said

"I know that but as I've always said when in Rome do as the Romans do"

and hung up.

Well I laughed.

Unread 16-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
i would also recommend these, apart from when that post-euro 96, JCL, gooner @#%&! barney ronay is on. he is the cliched middle-class arsenal fan.

Unread 16-06-2010, 10:07 AM
denis lawless

youre ALL taking this far too seriously...its all a load of old %@#$&!s anyway.....

if the pundits are shit, use the time theyre on (pre-match/half-time) to get a beer from the fridge....

just put your feet up, stick it on mute.... and enjoy the football....

Unread 16-06-2010, 10:12 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
i would also recommend these, apart from when that post-euro 96, JCL, gooner @#%&! barney ronay is on. he is the cliched middle-class arsenal fan.
Barnay Ronay is 254 times better than french football "expert" and ABU Paul Doyle.

Unread 16-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Barnay Ronay is 254 times better than french football "expert" and ABU Paul Doyle.
yep, they're both @#%&!s though, tbh.

best line up is: glendenning, ashdown and honigstein

Unread 16-06-2010, 10:19 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
yep, they're both @#%&!s though, tbh.

best line up is: glendenning, ashdown and honigstein
And Fernando Duarte.

Unread 16-06-2010, 10:34 AM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
youre ALL taking this far too seriously...its all a load of old %@#$&!s anyway.....

if the pundits are shit, use the time theyre on (pre-match/half-time) to get a beer from the fridge....

Exactly. You're watching TV so you can view the £#%&!ing match and make your own judgements. Who gives a flying £#%&! what a load of #@&%!s say? i don't pay any attention to anyone speaking during a match and I certainly wouldn't listen to anyone talking before, midway through or after a match. Likewise why do people talk about football performances on here? It's very rare anyone actually provides insight and it's just a load of people either stating the obvious or talking shit and then arguing.

Unread 16-06-2010, 10:35 AM
suedeshoes

Seedorf's good. He looks stoned all the time and as if he's about to start giggling everytime he speaks but he adds something useful which is more than his colleagues.
Hansen seems bored by the whole thing, Dixon seems to have wandered in by mistake and the ITV shower are appaling.
I dont usually watch the 'punditry' tbh...it comes on at smoking time so I switch to R5 at HT and they're pretty good, especially and surprsingly Robbie Savage.

Unread 16-06-2010, 10:41 AM
signed dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
Seedorf's good. He looks stoned all the time and as if he's about to start giggling everytime he speaks but he adds something useful which is more than his colleagues.
Hansen seems bored by the whole thing, Dixon seems to have wandered in by mistake and the ITV shower are appaling.
I dont usually watch the 'punditry' tbh...it comes on at smoking time so I switch to R5 at HT and they're pretty good, especially and surprsingly Robbie Savage.
I was about to say the very same, I like him, looks like he's been spending the last couple of weeks getting stoned in some Amsterdam coffee shop.

Unread 16-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Stickman

its typical English ignorance when it comes to the tournaments really. Noone else matters.

Unread 16-06-2010, 10:49 AM
PaulParkers

Cant wait to hear what they've got to say about todays Honduras v Chile game.

Lots of talk about Wigan's boys and not a lot else I should imagine.

Unread 16-06-2010, 10:56 AM
the heathen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
As big a bunch of anti Utd #@&%!s they are Giles, Dunphy and Bill O Herlihy (and Souness) do themselves proud on RTE. Rarely does post match analysis end without at least one good bitchy row breaking out. I'll be amazed if Souness doesn't attack Eamon Dunphy live on air some day.

Bill meanwhile is fantastic in his role of lighting the blue touch paper and scarpering once the confrontations start.
Very true. At least they show a bit of passion and don't just trot out the same ole cliches.

We get the English coverage over here as well and I think it speaks volumes that no matter what station people watch the match on, everyone I know switches over to RTE for the punditry at half and full-time. Proof that people want to say passion, no matter how misguided sometimes, rather than platitudes and cliches.

Even Souness who's probably the best and most honest of the pundits that appear on UK tv seems to up his forthrighness on Irish tv because he's given licence to do so. In fact, I'd argue that it's his experience on RTE that has helped make him the best pundit on Sky.

Unread 16-06-2010, 10:57 AM
dodger

Quote:

Well that's fine Denis but can we save the fees we pay them too please? Plus the expenses accounts and hotels.

Unread 16-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Zorg

Quote:

I would have thought you of all people denis would get irate about taxpayers money being given to useless £#%&!ers like Shearer saying 'we don't know anything about these teams'

Unread 16-06-2010, 11:04 AM
dunk

Tbf to Seedorf, Davids and Vieira, from a football knowledge pov, they are worth listening to, they just have no screen presence and are boring to watch and listen to. Adebayor is the same.

Unread 16-06-2010, 11:09 AM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Tbf to Seedorf, Davids and Vieira, from a football knowledge pov, they are worth listening to, they just have no screen presence and are boring to watch and listen to. Adebayor is the same.
Racist.

Unread 16-06-2010, 11:09 AM
PaulParkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
You'd think the first two at least would know what they're on about but I dont think they've said anything my goldfish wouldnt have known. And I dont even have a goldfish so MOTWYW.

And I'm dubious about Viera's nous and disagree about Adebayor although tbf I've not understood a word he's said so far.

Unread 16-06-2010, 11:11 AM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulParkersPubes
You'd think the first two at least would know what they're on about but I dont think they've said anything my goldfish wouldnt have known. And I dont even have a goldfish so MOTWYW.

And I'm dubious about Viera's nous and disagree about Adebayor although tbf I've not understood a word he's said so far.
Again, you'd think this was a pre-requisite. Not that you'd find this mentioned in any media outlet obv
Closed Thread