United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-06-2007, 11:29 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
I suspect you right, but look at that list.

Saha - unreliable
Rooney - always looks a little lost on his own. However valiant efforts.
Smith - neat and tidy. holds up well, but doesn't score enough. Too slow.
Ole - come on, I love him - but he's finished.

There's only really Saha who does the job sufficiently and he's had too many injuries/attitude problems to ever to considered automatic first choice again.
i agree entirely. a new striker would be a very good addition, especially as we could then let smith go. i just don't think it's quite such a problem as is being made out.

and there's dong as well. let's not forget him

Unread 04-06-2007, 11:31 AM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
or if Gartside is just making it up.

If the rumours persist after today then it's obviously bluster on Gartsides part.

Unread 04-06-2007, 11:32 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr Leavesey
If the rumours persist after today then it's obviously bluster on Gartsides part.
I can't see Gill informing another club of our transfer plans personally. We may or may not be after Anelka or anyone else, I just don't think we'll be telling anyone one way or another 'til we are ready to make a bid.

Unread 04-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Barracuda

I think we should just wait for the Spanish season to finish to see what is what regarding strikers.

I'm convinced Torres is the one SAF really wants, and if there is any possibility of getting him - or possibly even Eto'o, then he will give it a go. Torres fits the profile of most of SAF's recent buys, he's young with great potential, fast, strong etc - just needs a stage to fulfill that potential.

If or when the likes of Torres and Eto'o are either priced out or impossible to shift, then the cheaper alternatives like Anelka become more likely.

I wouldn't rule out another big buy at this stage though, Gill worded his statement quite cleverly last week - but there is clearly one more to come.

Unread 04-06-2007, 11:40 AM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
I can't see Gill informing another club of our transfer plans personally. We may or may not be after Anelka or anyone else, I just don't think we'll be telling anyone one way or another 'til we are ready to make a bid.

True, I've never heard a quote like that attributed to United.

We're the ones who say who we're interested in, no one else.

Unread 04-06-2007, 11:43 AM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda
I think we should just wait for the Spanish season to finish to see what is what regarding strikers.

I'm convinced Torres is the one SAF really wants, and if there is any possibility of getting him - or possibly even Eto'o, then he will give it a go. Torres fits the profile of most of SAF's recent buys, he's young with great potential, fast, strong etc - just needs a stage to fulfill that potential.

If or when the likes of Torres and Eto'o are either priced out or impossible to shift, then the cheaper alternatives like Anelka become more likely.

I wouldn't rule out another big buy at this stage though, Gill worded his statement quite cleverly last week - but there is clearly one more to come.

Hmm, well, he did say 'the majority of spending is over'

We could spend another £40 odd million and that statement would still be true, wouldn't it

Unread 04-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Barracuda

Quote:
Hmm, well, he did say 'the majority of spending is over'

We could spend another £40 odd million and that statement would still be true, wouldn't it
Exactly, the majority of the spending is indeed over - except if the remaining buy/s cost more than those already. 3 players bought out of 4 is the majority or the 'significant business'.

Like I say he's worded it well to give the impression that's just about it, - when he really says nothing of the sort.

Unread 04-06-2007, 11:56 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda
Exactly, the majority of the spending is indeed over - except if the remaining buy/s cost more than those already. 3 players bought out of 4 is the majority or the 'significant business'.

Like I say he's worded it well to give the impression that's just about it, - when he really says nothing of the sort.
I'd be very surprised if a £25 million striker is on the agenda.

Unread 04-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Skag Trendy

I signed Klose,Torres and a young Brazilian called Jo for United on FM.

If only it was that easy

Unread 04-06-2007, 12:03 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
I'd be very surprised if a £25 million striker is on the agenda.
I just want the spanish and Italian seasons to close so it can all kick off proper. My guess is all our striker targets are moving one way or the other so I guess we'll get our answers soon enough....

Unread 04-06-2007, 12:04 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
I just want the spanish and Italian seasons to close so it can all kick off proper. My guess is all our striker targets are moving one way or the other so I guess we'll get our answers soon enough....
We have already spent nearly £50 million, can't see much else happening personally. I'll be interested in what Chelsea do, they do seem to be a confused mess with question marks over Maureen, Lampard, Ballack and Shevchenko's futures.

Unread 04-06-2007, 12:10 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
We have already spent nearly £50 million, can't see much else happening personally. I'll be interested in what Chelsea do, they do seem to be a confused mess with question marks over Maureen, Lampard, Ballack and Shevchenko's futures.
I doubt they'll win the Prem next year, too much discord atm.

As for our transfer funds, and this is a good indication of how spoiled I am as a United supporter, but if we don't get a striker this summer, I gonna be well pissed off.

Unread 04-06-2007, 12:13 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
if we don't get a striker this summer, I gonna be well pissed off.
That's ridiculous, you do realise that?

Unread 04-06-2007, 12:14 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
That's ridiculous, you do realise that?
I know. But I want a new toy.

Unread 04-06-2007, 12:16 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
I know. But I want a new toy.
We've got 3, all rather expensive too.

Seems the dippers are gonna try and spend their entire budget on Eto'o if the NOTW is to be believed. Not sure how he fits in to their Wimbledon style team.

Unread 04-06-2007, 12:18 PM
ivan9188

With nani, anderson and OH coming, someone up front has to be sold or released to reduce the wages.I love him, but ole just hasn't got the legs anymore and smith may be off elsewhere. Any truth in smith going to spurs??

If the two mentioned do go, that could pave the way for a striker plus tweety and snooty will be £#%&!ed off, (sooner rather than later hopefully) and we'll get roung 5-7 mill for them, so getting a striker may be a possibility.

Unread 04-06-2007, 12:21 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan9188
With nani, anderson and OH coming, someone up front has to be sold or released to reduce the wages.I love him, but ole just hasn't got the legs anymore and smith may be off elsewhere. Any truth in smith going to spurs??

If the two mentioned do go, that could pave the way for a striker plus tweety and snooty will be £#%&!ed off, (sooner rather than later hopefully) and we'll get roung 5-7 mill for them, so getting a striker may be a possibility.
I doubt Silvestre'll be going anywhere with Gabby being on his way out.

Unread 04-06-2007, 12:27 PM
ivan9188

Angry

Quote:
I doubt Silvestre'll be going anywhere with Gabby being on his way out.
FFS.Why does SAF insist on keeping this moron?

Unread 04-06-2007, 12:28 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
We've got 3, all rather expensive too.

Seems the dippers are gonna try and spend their entire budget on Eto'o if the NOTW is to be believed. Not sure how he fits in to their Wimbledon style team.
Et'o seems a bright fellow. If he goes to Liverpool I'll eat the skin off my own arse.

Unread 04-06-2007, 12:29 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan9188
FFS.Why does SAF insist on keeping this moron?
I've no idea but with Gabby leaving, letting the Goldfish brained idiot go would leave us short of cover at fullback.
Closed Thread