United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-12-2017, 12:49 PM
ZiggyStardust

The way I always look at comparing Pep and Jose is that Guardiola would never have won the European Cup with Porto or that Inter team but no matter how talented a squad Jose has he could never get a team playing to the level of Pep's sides at their best

Unread 05-12-2017, 01:49 PM
andyroo

Well I only care about what he does with us

Unread 05-12-2017, 02:12 PM
browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
So? We bagged a couple of tin pot trophies playing shit-on-a-stick football against absolute minnows. Great.

Guardiola spends money on quality players and gets them playing quality football; that's impressive in itself.
Managing to completely devalue Mourinho's trophies whilst giving Pep a bye, despite finishing 3rd in the league and winning £#%&! all? Impressive indeed

Unread 05-12-2017, 03:40 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
The way I always look at comparing Pep and Jose is that Guardiola would never have won the European Cup with Porto or that Inter team but no matter how talented a squad Jose has he could never get a team playing to the level of Pep's sides at their best
Hmm. I think the 'pep's level at their best' part is akin to saying Fergie's sides couldn't match the inherent purity of Wenger's Arsenal at its best.

He's easily proved himself the better manager imo. Pep can never do a Porto and is unlikely to do an Inter.

If Mourinho stayed at United and had consistent success. Well... Game over.

Unread 05-12-2017, 03:58 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser

PM sent btw
Building a team isn't necessarily the same as buying a shit load of players, you £#%&!ing melt. He's got Fabian Delph as his starting left wing-back, ffs. Hardly inherited a worldy there.

Can't see a PM, btw. Your wi-fi/4G gone down?

Unread 05-12-2017, 04:01 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Building a team isn't necessarily the same as buying a shit load of players, you £#%&!ing melt. He's got Fabian Delph as his starting left wing-back, ffs. Hardly inherited a worldy there.

And we've got Ashley Young, what's your point.

Mourinho is getting a tune out of a group of players that Pep would never lower himself to coach. Maybe because he can only coach the best of the best?

Plus you're forgetting the reason they've got Delph at left back is because their new £50m left back is injured

Unread 05-12-2017, 04:03 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
He'd never have taken the United job because it would have meant building a squad from scratch, unless he was good enough to teach the likes of Smalling, Fellaini, Jones etc how to play Pep football

He played it safe by picking the club with an already settled group of quality players to build around.
Don't buy it at all. There's plenty of players at United that would have excelled under him. Shaw, Blind, Valencia, Carrick, Pogba, Mata, Martial, Rashford. Are you suggesting he'd struggle with these players? Are Smalling and Jones any worse than Otamendi and Kompany on the ball?

United's spending has also been huge post-Fergie, so he'd have got the financial backing at United, too.

Unread 05-12-2017, 04:05 PM
browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/fo...emoon-forum.1/

Off you £#%&!. Take the others with you you try-hard little weirdo

Unread 05-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Neo

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser
http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/fo...emoon-forum.1/

Off you £#%&!. Take the others with you you try-hard little weirdo
Yes, I'm a Bert WUM. Spent 6 years on a United forum waiting for this very day to play my card.

You £#%&!ing bellsniff.

Unread 05-12-2017, 04:12 PM
browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Yes, I'm a Bert WUM. Spent 6 years on a United forum waiting for this very day to play my card.

You £#%&!ing bellsniff.
Nothing to do with you being a wum. Defending City's manager to the hilt on a United forum is just £#%&!in' odd though. Yes he's a good coach, but he's proved £#%&! all outside of having Messi, Xavi and Iniesta win him some European cups. £#%&! him

Unread 05-12-2017, 04:17 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Don't buy it at all. There's plenty of players at United that would have excelled under him. Shaw, Blind, Valencia, Carrick, Pogba, Mata, Martial, Rashford. Are you suggesting he'd struggle with these players? Are Smalling and Jones any worse than Otamendi and Kompany on the ball?

United's spending has also been huge post-Fergie, so he'd have got the financial backing at United, too.
Pogba was signed by Mourinho
Blind is a decent squad player, nothing more (Bunks)
Carrick is 36
Valencia can't kick a ball with his left foot
Mata, possibly
Martial and Rashford are both progressing well under the current manager

And yes I'd say both Otamendi and Komoany are more suited to Pep than Smalling and Jones

Would Mourinho be able to win trophies with this City squad - Yes
Would Pep be able to win trophies with this United squad - doubtful

Not saying for one minute he isn't a very good coach, but looking at his career and the choices he's made it does look like everything has to fit his style perfectly and if it doesn't he'll just throw a shit load of money at it

As for the spending, yeah I agree he would have been backed. But our squad would have needed a complete overhaul, no chance was he going to put his reputation on the line for that

As you said a large group of the current city squad was there before him, so all he needed to do was add players around the current group of top players (for half a million of course).

Unread 05-12-2017, 05:56 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith

I might well be beige but I tried reading your critique of mad men once and seriously, I’ve never been so embarrassed for anyone on the internet in my entire life. Actually never realised that such a level of cringe existed. I include that girl who tried to throw her shit out of a bathroom window and got stuck and had to be rescued by the fire service in that.

Would happily meet up to discuss further. Please pm.

Unread 05-12-2017, 06:15 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Exactly

Arguably the best players in the league were already at the club, the same as when he took over at Bayern and Barca. He had a foundation to build from but still felt the need to spend millions

He'd never have taken the United job because it would have meant building a squad from scratch, unless he was good enough to teach the likes of Smalling, Fellaini, Jones etc how to play Pep football

He played it safe by picking the club with an already settled group of quality players to build around.
Pellegrini’s last game, which they had to get a result in for top four. Match squad:

Hart, Sagna, Clichy, Otamendi, Mangala, Fernando, Fernandinho, Navas, Aguero, De Bruyne, Iheanacho, Caballero, Kolarov, Demichellis, Toure, Nasri, Sterling, Bony.

11 of those 18 have already been binned and Mangala and Toure are clearly not wanted. Settled group?

Meanwhile United played on Saturday with 7 starters Mourinho inherited.

The league isn’t over. We can win this weekend. It’s so early to be getting defeatist imo and inventing excuses for City being so far ahead.

Unread 05-12-2017, 06:18 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Pellegrini’s last game, which they had to get a result in for top four. Match squad:

Hart, Sagna, Clichy, Otamendi, Mangala, Fernando, Fernandinho, Navas, Aguero, De Bruyne, Iheanacho, Caballero, Kolarov, Demichellis, Toure, Nasri, Sterling, Bony.

11 of those 18 have already been binned and Mangala and Toure are clearly not wanted. Settled group?

The league isn’t over. We can win this weekend. It’s so early to be getting defeatist imo and inventing excuses for City being so far ahead.
Wish we were as quick to bin...

Anyways yes, they still have to come to us, Anfield, Wembley, The Emirates and have to play Spurs at home, Chelsea at home and us at home. It is far from over!

Unread 05-12-2017, 06:21 PM
AK14

Quote:

Right...

So what you're saying is Mourinho still has a load of shit @#%&!s left over from the previous manager while Pep has managed to replace a load of Citys shit @#%&!s with better players?

Kompany, Otamendi, Silva, Fernandinho, De Bruyne, Sterling, Agureo that's a very good group of players to build on wouldn't you say?

And who's making excuses for City being so far ahead? It's a fact that they're ahead of us in terms of building a squad for their current manager and yet here we are, as you say still in the hunt.

Unread 05-12-2017, 06:23 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Right...

So what you're saying is Mourinho still has a load of shit @#%&!s left over from the previous manager while Pep has managed to replace a load of Citys shit @#%&!s with better players?

Kompany, Otamendi, Silva, Fernandinho, De Bruyne, Sterling, Agureo that's a very good group of players to build on wouldn't you say?
Yes, in 2 summers as well. Which is a lot easier to do when you have a blank chequebook to work with.

Unread 05-12-2017, 06:32 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
No I wouldn’t. Don’t rate Otamendi personally and Kompany is never consistently fit. People laughed at Sterling 18 months ago too. It’s only his rapid recent improvement that has changed that.

Basically he’s had a handful that he’s felt he can build with. But he’s torn everything down. They finished on the same points as us when he was hired, this despite us having a season wrecked by injury and being guided by a useless manager.

Guardiola is simply doing a very good job right now. You’d do better to just accept that. But will it last? City aren’t unbeatable. They’ve just squeezed past Moysie’s West Ham. It just feels like we are already trotting out excuses for them winning the title, when most on here pretty much guaranteed Mou would win a league with us and see off Fraudiola. Too early to be giving up imo.

Unread 05-12-2017, 06:54 PM
AK14

Quote:
No I wouldn’t. Don’t rate Otamendi personally and Kompany is never consistently fit. People laughed at Sterling 18 months ago too. It’s only his rapid recent improvement that has changed that.

Basically he’s had a handful that he’s felt he can build with. But he’s torn everything down. They finished on the same points as us when he was hired, this despite us having a season wrecked by injury and being guided by a useless manager.

Guardiola is simply doing a very good job right now. You’d do better to just accept that. But will it last? City aren’t unbeatable. They’ve just squeezed past Moysie’s West Ham. It just feels like we are already trotting out excuses for them winning the title, when most on here pretty much guaranteed Mou would win a league with us and see off Fraudiola. Too early to be giving up imo.
Disagree, Otamendi is a good defender, especially compared to most defenders in the league. Sterling when surrounded by good attacking players in dangerous, no surprise there. Kompany is injury prone, but that's why they spent £50m on John Stones

He had a very good group of players, some of which were arguably the best players in the league. That's a lot more than what he would have add if he took the job here. But that's why he didn't, it would have been too much of f a challenge and something he never would have risked his reputation on. Thats why the City job was the safest job to take, obviously adding the fact he's got a blank cheque book to make as many sweeping changes as he wants

I haven't once said he's not doing a good job. I have said that he's not some sort of messiah, he's a good manager that either needs the best players or a bottomless pit of money

I'm not giving up pal, but I understand that Mourinho's united is no where near the finished article because he has limitations that Guardiola doesn't have to deal with. Obviously you'll be hoping that he doesn't finish the rebuild, but fact is the rebuild has been made that much harder because of the dross that Van Gaal/Woodward bought and we've struggled to shift

Unread 05-12-2017, 07:06 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Disagree, Otamendi is a good defender, especially compared to most defenders in the league. Sterling when surrounded by good attacking players in dangerous, no surprise there. Kompany is injury prone, but that's why they spent £50m on John Stones

He had a very good group of players, some of which were arguably the best players in the league. That's a lot more than what he would have add if he took the job here. But that's why he didn't, it would have been too much of f a challenge and something he never would have risked his reputation on. Thats why the City job was the safest job to take, obviously adding the fact he's got a blank cheque book to make as many sweeping changes as he wants

I haven't once said he's not doing a good job. I have said that he's not some sort of messiah, he's a good manager that either needs the best players or a bottomless pit of money

I'm not giving up pal, but I understand that Mourinho's united is no where near the finished article because he has limitations that Guardiola doesn't have to deal with. Obviously you'll be hoping that he doesn't finish the rebuild, but fact is the rebuild has been made that much harder because of the dross that Van Gaal/Woodward bought and we've struggled to shift
So our dreadful group of players working under our terrible previous manager managed to finish level on points with the absolute tap-in of a squad Guardiola inherited? Seems inconsistent tbh. Reality is City had loads of dross to shift, hence the departure of 20 odd players in 18 months.

Guardiola took over an underachieving Barca and quickly made the best side in their history. I realise Mou chose the challenge of plucky little Real Madrid around the same time so he gets the moral high ground, but the quality of football played by Guardiola’s sides is about him more than it is money. Otherwise after another £300m we’d be closer to them in that respect.

By the way, United didn’t approach Guardiola. People close to him believe he would have preferred to come here. But we were set on the LvG to Giggs succession, and then were seduced by Mourinho. We will never know if Guardiola would have come here. Those in his circle believe he would. If that’s the case, Woodward should be killed.

Unread 05-12-2017, 07:16 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Yes, in 2 summers as well. Which is a lot easier to do when you have a blank chequebook to work with.
Don't be silly, that's nothing to do with it. NOTHING, you hear??
Closed Thread