United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > TV / Film / Books / Arts
Closed Thread

Old 19-12-2016, 11:21 AM
Time For Heroes

Default Dirk Gently - Netflix series

Anybody been watching this? Absolutely bonkers but brilliant stuff, originally written by Douglas Adams. Brat the female assassin is

Old 19-12-2016, 11:25 AM
dunk

Thumbs up

Yeah, watched them all. Loved the books and even watched the original BBC series with Stephen Mangan

I've enjoyed this, some ropey acting in it, but entertaining, funny and weird as hell. Had to watch the last episode twice as I was distracted about halfway through and got completely lost.

Farah

Old 19-12-2016, 12:03 PM
dodger

Is it anything like the books? The BBC one wasn't and I thought it was shit.

Old 19-12-2016, 12:05 PM
Time For Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Is it anything like the books? The BBC one wasn't and I thought it was shit.
Haven't actually read the books so can't comment I'm afraid.

Old 19-12-2016, 12:24 PM
dunk

Some elements, but it's never going to match the books simply because there's no Douglas Adams

IIRC, Dirk was a rather sweaty fat man, constantly monetarily challenged and intent on squeezing money from everyone he could.. not so much in this.

The original BBC version was probably closer to the books, although neither have captured the charm and confusing quality of the books.

Still worth a watch.

Old 19-12-2016, 02:47 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
some ropey acting in it:
seems to be a requirement for douglas adams adaptations.

Old 19-12-2016, 02:52 PM
FraUtd

I read the other book, Long, Dark Tea Time of the Soul, but that was a long time ago.
Bonkers book, but Dirk in that trailer definitely isn't how I Think I would have pictured him.

Pictured him quite dark, down trodden and pessimistic, not the ADHD teenager type they're using

Old 19-12-2016, 03:08 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time For Heroes
Anybody been watching this? Absolutely bonkers but brilliant stuff, originally written by Douglas Adams. Brat the female assassin is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TNXaCBAjpo
Loved it, rinsed it in one night

Old 19-12-2016, 03:11 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraUtd
I read the other book, Long, Dark Tea Time of the Soul, but that was a long time ago.
Bonkers book, but Dirk in that trailer definitely isn't how I Think I would have pictured him.

Pictured him quite dark, down trodden and pessimistic, not the ADHD teenager type they're using
Yeah, deffo miscast, does a decent job though tbf. Gives mention to the plots in the books as a bit of a nod.
Closed Thread