United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
THanks for clarifying your position. Was a bit of a grey area.

EDIT : I meant to quote LMC. Can I be bothered to change it? Can I %@#$&!s

Unread 08-07-2008, 11:45 PM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas

i dont use an of the new smileys but that one is funny.

Unread 08-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
THanks for clarifying your position. Was a bit of a grey area.

EDIT : I meant to quote LMC. Can I be bothered to change it? Can I %@#$&!s
I think it works for Koppas input as well.

Unread 08-07-2008, 11:56 PM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Macari_Chippy
Shit stain on United's history, would rather united were relegated to the conference level if it meant getting rid of those £#%&!ing @#%&!s.

What an utter @#%&! you are!

No matter how bad they are, don't try and feather FC's pockets!

Unread 09-07-2008, 08:44 AM
George Bestial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Macari_Chippy
Shit stain on United's history, would rather united were relegated to the conference level if it meant getting rid of those £#%&!ing @#%&!s.
Out of interest, what sort of stain do you consider the Edwards family to be on our history then?

A lot of people £#%&!ed off in 2005 cause they were bored. After 1999 they'd been there, done it and seen it all. The takeover provided an extremely convenient get-out clause. Several of our lot who used to be home and away regulars use it as an excuse week in week out not to go to the match.

Funny how they've enough money for a night on the sniff afterwards...

Unread 09-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bestial
Out of interest, what sort of stain do you consider the Edwards family to be on our history then?
They're more of wet fart type stain - the glazers are the full follow through.

The reason i think this is because back when the edwards family where king, supporters had no choice and no voice. There was no internet for us to organise ourselves, cell phones where not wide spread and we were not a public company with supporters owning a slice (no matter how small a slice).

But looking backwards and comparing one shit stain to another is not a useful exercise anyway, all it does is provide glazer apologists with a platform to justify them.

Unread 09-07-2008, 09:04 AM
42ndstreet irregular

Quote:

A lot of people £#%&!ed off in 2005 cause they were bored. After 1999 they'd been there, done it and seen it all. The takeover provided an extremely convenient get-out clause. Several of our lot who used to be home and away regulars use it as an excuse week in week out not to go to the match.

Funny how they've enough money for a night on the sniff afterwards...
If they are using Glazers as the reason, whether valid or not, what has them having some money for charge have to do with anything? I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything, I just don't see the relevance if they aren't blaming lack of funds for not going.

Unread 09-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Withers

Anybody who thinks Hicks and Gillette have been worse than the Glazers can you please tell me why?

Unread 09-07-2008, 09:52 AM
George Bestial

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndstreet irregular
If they are using Glazers as the reason, whether valid or not, what has them having some money for charge have to do with anything? I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything, I just don't see the relevance if they aren't blaming lack of funds for not going.
They reckon the Glazers have priced them out. It's utter balls. One's on well over £30k with no mortgage, kids or debt. Won't admit that he's bored with OT.

Unread 09-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
They reckon the Glazers have priced them out. It's utter balls. One's on well over £30k with no mortgage, kids or debt. Won't admit that he's bored with OT.
I think your mate may have lied about his reasons for not going. Many many more haven't though. I know someone who thinks the Glazers are fantastic, he goes to games but it doesn't mean all matchgoers think the same.

Unread 09-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mao's Favourite Starling
I have seen 'effers' plenty of times, I have never met/introduced myself as I dislike the guy as much as you!

You scared of him?

Unread 09-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Zorg

Quote:
A lot of people £#%&!ed off in 2005 cause they were bored. After 1999 they'd been there, done it and seen it all. The takeover provided an extremely convenient get-out clause.
Yep, I was bored.

Bored of the shit atmosphere, the guy near me screaming at Giggs every ten seconds, the clueless fans, the jester hats, the stadium announcers, the deafening music, the high prices getting higher, the 'sit down and shut up' attitude, the Sky kick-offs, the 'football club' being removed from the badge, the obscene wages, the excessive advertising....I could go on. My dad and I used to come out of OT every week sighing and shaking our heads, wondering why we were paying £600 a year to be bored shitless.

Of course, none of these things are the Glazers' fault, they were all there before. But we complained didn't we? the fanzines were full of this stuff every single issue. There was bound to be a breaking point, and for me that was when the gimps took over.

Each to their own and all that, but I don't mind admitting that OT had become a depressingly boring experience for me.

Unread 09-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Jack Duckworth

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Yep, I was bored.

Bored of the shit atmosphere, the guy near me screaming at Giggs every ten seconds, the clueless fans, the jester hats, the stadium announcers, the deafening music, the high prices getting higher, the 'sit down and shut up' attitude, the Sky kick-offs, the 'football club' being removed from the badge, the obscene wages, the excessive advertising....I could go on. My dad and I used to come out of OT every week sighing and shaking our heads, wondering why we were paying £600 a year to be bored shitless.

Of course, none of these things are the Glazers' fault, they were all there before. But we complained didn't we? the fanzines were full of this stuff every single issue. There was bound to be a breaking point, and for me that was when the gimps took over.

Each to their own and all that, but I don't mind admitting that OT had become a depressingly boring experience for me.
good post.

Unread 09-07-2008, 02:47 PM
antonin jablonsky

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
good post.
I certainly understand the sentiment.

Unread 09-07-2008, 03:30 PM
George Bestial

Quote:
Yep, I was bored.

That's my mate's view in a nutshell. And as you say, it's nowt to do with the Glazers.

On a separate note, here are 5 ace things the club have done since 2005:

*Put on an classy tribute to George Best vs West Brom.
*Put 'Stretford End' on the seats in place of a sponsor logo.
*Backed Fergie properly in the transfer market when he's needed it.
*Taken up a fan's idea for the Munich tribute.
*Erected the 'holy trinity' statue.

Unread 09-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Withers

Quote:
That's my mate's view in a nutshell. And as you say, it's nowt to do with the Glazers.

On a separate note, here are 5 ace things the club have done since 2005:

*Put on an classy tribute to George Best vs West Brom.
*Put 'Stretford End' on the seats in place of a sponsor logo.
*Backed Fergie properly in the transfer market when he's needed it.
*Taken up a fan's idea for the Munich tribute.
*Erected the 'holy trinity' statue.
The third one is debatable.

Which of the others wouldn't have happened without the Glazers?

Unread 09-07-2008, 03:43 PM
George Bestial

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Withered Hand
The third one is debatable.

Which of the others wouldn't have happened without the Glazers?
Not sure.

Do believe in credit where it's due though.

Unread 09-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Withers

Quote:
Not sure.

Do believe in credit where it's due though.
Me too, that why I was trying to establish whether they deserve any.

To be honest I would have expected all of the other to have happened without the Glazers so I don't believe they deserve any credit.

I don't believe in getting credit for something you haven't done.

However even if they were down to the Glazers I imagine we could have got them done for less than £660 million if they had never come along.

Unread 09-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Zorg

I don't think any of those things are down to the Glazers.

Backing Fergie in the transfer market and leaving him to take care of things is of course good, but should be expected.

Unread 09-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Quote:
Yep, I was bored.

yes, exactly.

except for the not going any more bit. I still go and probably always will while I can. I like watching the football and laughing out loud when the stadium suddenly wakes from its collective stupor every so often, sometimes for literally minutes at a time.

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Withered Hand
Me too, that why I was trying to establish whether they deserve any.

To be honest I would have expected all of the other to have happened without the Glazers so I don't believe they deserve any credit.

I don't believe in getting credit for something you haven't done.

However even if they were down to the Glazers I imagine we could have got them done for less than £660 million if they had never come along.[/QUOTE
]

This i'm not so sure about. I don't believe for a moment that there's any certainty that the investment in the team we've seen over the past 3 years would've taken place under the plc. In fact not a £#%&!ing chance would it have. One major transfer per season was virtually the plc mantra, and the times when that rule was relaxed were very closely balanced by activity in the market in the preceding or following season.

The Glazers bought the club on paper, and they've sanctioned a string of players by twiddling the numbers. They do not have to please - or pay - shareholders, otherwise we simply would not have all the players we now watch in the shirt. This is a salient point in the whole process, and one which Platini is digging at in his campaigning for change imo.

If you look at the economy right now it's easy to think United could soon be in a bit of trouble, when you balnce debts and rising ticket costs with a drop off (a potentially huge one for a short time, at least) in disposable income. But @#%&!s who play money games at the toppest tables won't be too worried. The recent investment in the United team is a pretty good example of the strength of United's current position, not its weakness. And we are already seeing this played out on the pitch.

Bit muddled up there but can't be arsed synthesising, so motwyw!
Closed Thread