United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-11-2022, 08:25 PM
Finport Red

Default Who’s the best United player ever?

Given the comments in the current Ronaldo thread that it’s not him, who is it?

Judging by the current situation with Ronaldo that rules him out, I assume it can’t be Best or Keane either.

So who, and why?

Unread 18-11-2022, 08:27 PM
Sparky***

how do you define 'best'

is there a minimum amount of years or appearances we have to consider?

For me, United's greatest ever player is probably Bobby Charlton. Taking into account the fact he won the world cup, european cup, the old balon d'or, was united's top scorer and was a busby babe...and went on to be one of the great custodians of the club.

Unread 18-11-2022, 08:31 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
how do you define 'best'

For me, United's greatest ever player is probably Bobby Charlton. Taking into account the fact he won the world cup, european cup, the old balon d'or, was united's top scorer and was a busby babe...and went on to be one of the great custodians of the club.
For context, it was based on two statements, very similar, though I’m one the word ‘best’ was replaced by ‘greatest’

“He’s the best player who ever played for us, but he’s definitely not the best United player ever.”

Unread 18-11-2022, 08:33 PM
My Name is Heath

Bobby Charlton based on awards and so on.

Giggs has to be up there too for what he gave to United.

Unread 18-11-2022, 09:34 PM
Joe Biden

Ask everybody in that thread 2 weeks ago and they say Ronaldo.

It's Ronaldo.

Unread 18-11-2022, 09:38 PM
andyroo

Quote:
how do you define 'best'
George

Unread 18-11-2022, 09:40 PM
Joe Biden

Quote:
how do you define 'best'

You get any united player in their prime to add into the current team who is it? And why is it Cristiano Ronaldo?

Unread 18-11-2022, 09:42 PM
Pop

Can only judge based on my time following Utd so its Paul Scholes.

Unread 18-11-2022, 09:49 PM
Zorg

Russell Beardsmore

Unread 18-11-2022, 09:54 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Biden
You get any united player in their prime to add into the current team who is it? And why is it Cristiano Ronaldo?
Keane or Ronaldo, difference is Keane gave us all of his peak years.

Unread 18-11-2022, 09:58 PM
Bunker Buster

Rooney or Buttner

Unread 18-11-2022, 10:08 PM
Bishovetz

The Belfast Boy.

Unread 18-11-2022, 10:10 PM
92ToBury

Best, Charlton, Robson, Keane, Giggs, Scholes.

Take yer pick depending on your criteria.

Unread 18-11-2022, 10:11 PM
AK14

My favourite players to watch were Scholes, Cantona and Keane

But best player to play for United in the years I’ve been watching is probably Rooney.

Unread 18-11-2022, 10:37 PM
Coracao

Keane is the best I've seen in my time watching Utd.

Unread 18-11-2022, 10:43 PM
Medlock

Ronaldo is the best I've seen. Nothing like my favourite though. Next would be Cantona, Robson, and Scholes.

Unread 18-11-2022, 10:51 PM
Fat Al

It's a question that cannot definitively answered.

1. It's subjective.
2. Even at the beginning of the 1990's, there weren't TV cameras at every top flight game. So you had to rely on people who were there. Eyewitnesses are very unreliable. I'm sure all of you have read match reports in a newspaper about game you attended & thought 'what game was this @#%&! watching?'
Do any of us have any idea of how good Utd payers of the pre-WW2 era were?
3. Different eras, different styles of play. There's a great clip of Utd playing Chelsea. Best is dribbling the ball through the entire Chelsea team & they're kicking lumps out of him but he just carries on. Would Ronaldo survive that? Would Duncan Edwards be able to play in the modern game or would it be too fast for him?

We can't even settle arguments about which player is best when compared to a players of the same era - Ronaldo v Messi.

Unread 18-11-2022, 10:57 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
3. Different eras, different styles of play. There's a great clip of Utd playing Chelsea. Best is dribbling the ball through the entire Chelsea team & they're kicking lumps out of him but he just carries on.

Think you mean this

Not quite as you described, but the attempted tackle was meant to maim him and he just rode it

I was at that game with me dad (a city fan) ….one of my greatest childhood memories

Unread 18-11-2022, 11:15 PM
Arnold Muhren

Best: Ronaldo
Favourite: Robbo

Unread 18-11-2022, 11:24 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
https://youtu.be/oAibNIju9QA

Think you mean this

Not quite as you described, but the attempted tackle was meant to maim him and he just rode it

I was at that game with me dad (a city fan) ….one of my greatest childhood memories
My favourite United goal, that. Remember my dad sitting me down to watch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Rooney or Buttner
I can’t believe it’s not Rooney!
Closed Thread