United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-11-2022, 10:42 AM
Patty_b

Rooney. Complete footballer.

Unread 20-11-2022, 11:34 AM
armchair

Giggs "can't cross, gives the ball away too much, always injured" and Rooney "no first touch, fat" always got terrible criticism but I can't remember much about Cantona. I remember Ronaldo getting criticism too "why's he talking all the freekicks."

edit: doesn't do it in europe , I suppose.

Unread 20-11-2022, 12:12 PM
Dasilvatwins

Personally, individual results for a player can be a yard stick to measure “United greatness”.

For me the best United player has to be someone who lifted the team , raised the whole game of the club. I’d love to say Cantona but I was too young when he played. Didn’t really see him play

In terms of player who I have seen to have the biggest impact on the game. Has to be scholes. We controlled 8-9/10 games in midfield thanks to him. Rooney too, came up trumps .

But judging by consensus and my own criteria, I think it would have to go to Cantona . Everybody talks about how he lifted the whole team/club. (Maybe best did the same )

I say to the younger lot in my family that during the 2000s they missed the vidic Rio Rooney Ronaldo carrick etc years. Turns out I missed an even greater set of years when Cantona was playing

Unread 20-11-2022, 12:32 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
Personally, individual results for a player can be a yard stick to measure “United greatness”.

For me the best United player has to be someone who lifted the team , raised the whole game of the club. I’d love to say Cantona but I was too young when he played. Didn’t really see him play

In terms of player who I have seen to have the biggest impact on the game. Has to be scholes. We controlled 8-9/10 games in midfield thanks to him.
Rooney too, came up trumps .

But judging by consensus and my own criteria, I think it would have to go to Cantona . Everybody talks about how he lifted the whole team/club. (Maybe best did the same )

I say to the younger lot in my family that during the 2000s they missed the vidic Rio Rooney Ronaldo carrick etc years. Turns out I missed an even greater set of years when Cantona was playing
Then the answer is Roy Keane. Comfortably the best midfielder of the Premier League era.

Unread 20-11-2022, 01:04 PM
Joe Biden

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Giggs "can't cross, gives the ball away too much, always injured" and Rooney "no first touch, fat" always got terrible criticism but I can't remember much about Cantona. I remember Ronaldo getting criticism too "why's he talking all the freekicks."

The only criticism I would aim at Cantona other than not cutting it in Europe is his temperament cost the club a domestic double. Other that he he truly was incredible, my favourite player growing up was kanchelskis but Cantona was the main guy. Easily better than Rooney as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Then the answer is Roy Keane. Comfortably the best midfielder of the Premier League era.
Ronaldo
Keane
Ferdinand

The best I've seen at United.

Shoutout to Scholes.

Unread 20-11-2022, 01:56 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Rooney. Complete footballer.
If the single best performance by a United player has a sway, the best I've seen at OT was Rooney's debut. He was simply unplayable that night. Best I've seen on the box, in my own lifetime at least, has to be Keane in Turin, in that semi. Actually, it's worthy of another thread (or even threads: best match and best season).

Unread 20-11-2022, 02:11 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair

Yes - doesn't do it in Europe would be for Eric. Also played in an extremely weak Premier League -- nothing like the competition faced in the late 90s w/ Arsenal and then Mourinho's Chelsea side in the 00s and teams of the late 00s.

RE: Rooney's first touch .. always thought that was v over-board. He was always atrocious when coming straight back from injuries, but his first touch was excellent when he was fully fit and on it.

Unread 20-11-2022, 02:19 PM
Joe Biden

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
If the single best performance by a United player has a sway, the best I've seen at OT was Rooney's debut. He was simply unplayable that night. Best I've seen on the box, in my own lifetime at least, has to be Keane in Turin, in that semi. Actually, it's worthy of another thread (or even threads: best match and best season).
Berbatov vs Liverpool > any single Rooney game.

Carlos Tevez at home vs barca in 08, the performance people pretend Rooney used to put in every week, truth is he never got close.

Unread 20-11-2022, 02:33 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Biden
Loved that match and the overhead kick was sublime; one of the best goals we've scored against the scouse that I've ever seen. But better that Rooney against Fenerbache? I don't think so. He was all over the pitch, that night, scored a hattrick - the youngest to ever do so in the CL - made another, and looked like he could have kicked the shit out of their whole team to boot. All as an 18 year old, playing at OT for the first time.

It was magical. That single performance was the epitome of what the club's all about.

Unread 20-11-2022, 05:59 PM
92ToBury

Quote:

Carlos Tevez at home vs barca in 08, the performance people pretend Rooney used to put in every week, truth is he never got close.
If we’re doing one game, Robbo v Barca beats them all and more Reds were there that night than berts on that £#%&!ing hill in Blackburn.

Unread 20-11-2022, 06:08 PM
GBMUFC2020

George Best closely followed by Denis Law

Unread 20-11-2022, 08:11 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
If we’re doing one game, Robbo v Barca beats them all and more Reds were there that night than berts on that £#%&!ing hill in Blackburn.
That was very £#%&!ing special

Unread 21-11-2022, 12:17 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Clueless contrary as per…

Thread: not even a mention of Law. Dragged United out of the aircrash to titles and trophies. Captain. Dazzled. Literally. Scotland’s greatest ever. European Footballer of the Year. Shankly rated him worlds best.
As mentioned before by me, my late dad's favourite ever United player.

Unread 21-11-2022, 02:13 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Only ever seen him relegate utd, bit before my time, but all the older lads used to rave about him, would have loved to see him in his hey day. We were completely shite when I first started going, Tommy Doc bought us back to life.

Unread 21-11-2022, 07:05 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Absolutely baffled how he’s gone under the radar. Maybe Charlton has always been visible at OT and a WC winner? George; dying often brings focus to a players career but of the “trinity “ Law was the most popular, certainly on the Stret. His feisty nature, took no shit from anyone but also would remonstrate with refs in a comical way that literally had the crowd laughing. Manic bundle of energy, extroverted and not only scored from acrobatic efforts and the best header I’ve ever seen, but scored a million tap-ins (you’ve gotta get there!) following up from keepers spilling 30 yarders from Herd and Charlton. Always acknowledged the Stret after scoring, as much as his team mates with his customary cuff clutching salute. Adored.

Eric was the closest.

Lost the 68 title to the Berts due to his injury. Otherwise, a double.

Didn’t relegate United. Modern myth. Needed to win. Didn’t. As seen from the table, other sides put United out of reach, not City.

Unread 22-11-2022, 11:43 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:

Good evening, Cristiano

Unread 22-11-2022, 11:52 PM
Chorlton74

Robson or Keane.

Can't decide.
Closed Thread