United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-11-2022, 07:40 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
I'd say United were the most handicapped by the rule. Having to class Scots, Welsh & Irish as 'foreign'.

Look at the non-English players in the United squad:
Schmeichel
Irwin
Cantona
McClair
Hughes
Giggs *
Kanchelskis
Keane

You can only play 3 of them. Only 2 of them outfield because you had to play Schmeichel. Not surprising Cantona didn't play well in Europe with the team missing some of those players.

* He might have been classed as English as he'd been with the club for a long time/early age (can't remember the exact rule nor when it was brought in).
Giggs was a ‘foreigner’. Always seemed to remember it was him and Hughes who would often miss out. I remember Schmeichel sitting out the 4-0 loss in the nou camp too.

Looking back, what an utterly ridiculous rule.

Unread 19-11-2022, 07:44 PM
andyroo

Hell of a weird chess game [/riccers]

Unread 19-11-2022, 07:45 PM
dunk

Wasn’t Eric in the stands in Barca because he was still suspended after taking on the whole of Galatasary at the Ali Semi Yen?

Unread 19-11-2022, 07:45 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Wasn’t Eric in the stands in Barca because he was still suspended after taking on the whole of Galatasary at the Ali Semi Yen?
Yes, but don’t tell Sleepy Joe.

Unread 19-11-2022, 08:28 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Yep. Not sure Eric sat any of the games out because of the foreigner rule. Joe can correct - he has an impeccable knowledge including on Liverpool squad players from 20 odd years ago.

And yes - farcical rule.

Unread 19-11-2022, 08:51 PM
Surfers do Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Biden
Well I guess we can rule George best out as well then. Left united at 26 or 27. Cantona signed for united at the same age best left so which one isn't a legend?
I'd say both were at United for the peaks of their careers.

Unread 19-11-2022, 09:00 PM
Joe Biden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfers do Charlie
I'd say both were at United for the peaks of their careers.
So if George best left united at the same age he did but went to real Madrid and won 4 European cups he then wouldn't be a united legend. Please, make it make sense.

Unread 19-11-2022, 09:42 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Tends to be players you'll never forget seeing, loads at utd during my years, we had some of the best teams, and players in their positions, in the world.

Picking a 'best' player is a silly question.

Unread 19-11-2022, 10:38 PM
Stickman

Quote:
If that rule never changed would Fergie have left Ronaldo in the stands?
Current Ronaldo wouldn’t make the squad.

Unread 20-11-2022, 01:28 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
Tends to be players you'll never forget seeing, loads at utd during my years, we had some of the best teams, and players in their positions, in the world.

Picking a 'best' player is a silly question.
‘Tis true, really.

Never mind different eras (makes no diff) but comparable players of the same era have different skills/characteristics, it’s a futile exercise. Just be glad you’ve seen them.

Unread 20-11-2022, 09:49 AM
Joe Biden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Current Ronaldo wouldn’t make the squad.
Neither would current Cantona.

Unread 20-11-2022, 11:13 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Neither would current Cantona.
Makes you think.

Unread 20-11-2022, 06:24 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Well I guess we can rule George best out as well then. Left united at 26 or 27. Cantona signed for united at the same age best left so which one isn't a legend?
Both gave their best years. George fell victim to the demon drink or did you miss that bit?

Unread 20-11-2022, 06:25 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Both gave their best years. George fell victim to the demon drink or did you miss that bit?
He played for about 37 clubs when he left us....

Unread 20-11-2022, 07:19 PM
Joe Biden

Quote:
Ah right so if Ronaldo left united to be a drunk he'd be a legend? Ronaldo is the ultimate professional and he gave everything he had to be successful for united, George best didn't.

Everybody gets a pass for their shortgivings but Ronaldo.

Unread 20-11-2022, 07:25 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Ah right so if Ronaldo left united to be a drunk he'd be a legend? Ronaldo is the ultimate professional and he gave everything he had to be successful for united, George best didn't.

Everybody gets a pass for their shortgivings but Ronaldo.
United failed George as much as George failed United.

Ronaldo declared himself a slave and wanted to £#%&! off to Madrid.

Unread 20-11-2022, 07:29 PM
Joe Biden

Quote:

Ronaldo declared himself a slave and wanted to f*** off to Madrid.
And Roy Keane held the club to ransom threating to leave.... And rio ferdinand did the same... And Wayne Rooney did the same. All legends.

The glazers were delighted to get 80m for Ronaldo, let's no pretend they wanted him to stay once they received that offer.

Unread 20-11-2022, 07:39 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:

Ronaldo declared himself a slave and wanted to £#%&! off to Madrid.
Done the business for utd and then wanted to go and live in his own part of the world......nothing much wrong with that for me. He told the club and they said no.....slave

Unread 20-11-2022, 11:08 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
Done the business for utd and then wanted to go and live in his own part of the world......nothing much wrong with that for me. He told the club and they said no.....slave
He was from a remote island in the Atlantic, not the biggest city on the Iberian peninsula. And his mum told him to do it. It was disappointing the way that he left the first time but most of the fans were pleased that he returned, albeit we were hoping for a direct return from Madrid. It's not worked out, somewhere between him seeing what we've all seen evolve since he left and his legs at 37 unsurprisingly not being what they were at 27. If he's taking one for the team and moaning about the state of United because he thinks it will help us long term, fair play, but I don't see that being Ronaldo. He wants out, he forgot how shit the weather is, etc. Reality is that he's not first choice and cannot handle that. Neither can sleepy Joe it appears either.

Unread 20-11-2022, 11:39 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
He was from a remote island in the Atlantic, not the biggest city on the Iberian peninsula. And his mum told him to do it. It was disappointing the way that he left the first time but most of the fans were pleased that he returned, albeit we were hoping for a direct return from Madrid. It's not worked out, somewhere between him seeing what we've all seen evolve since he left and his legs at 37 unsurprisingly not being what they were at 27. If he's taking one for the team and moaning about the state of United because he thinks it will help us long term, fair play, but I don't see that being Ronaldo. He wants out, he forgot how shit the weather is, etc. Reality is that he's not first choice and cannot handle that. Neither can sleepy Joe it appears either.
Definitely finito in the prem, which we should have known and he should have sussed Got a lot of pages though......
Closed Thread