United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-11-2022, 05:31 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Agree with the sentiment, disagree with the execution.
wait... the what? that escalated quickly.

Unread 20-11-2022, 08:00 PM
Joe Biden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach
This is true and not something I'm generally an advocate for.

However, he does have a point about the contradiction between Beckham's historic positioning on the matter [they gays] and his shilling for Qatar [the sonotgays.]

On balance, I do just about favour Joe's stance - though I do believe he is smart enough to have still have given a different £10k to the charities he cited.
Let's attack David Beckham becuase Muslims don't like gays

Unread 20-11-2022, 08:06 PM
Rorschach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Biden
Not quite what happened. But you hold your view and we can just disagree.

Unread 20-11-2022, 08:16 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Yes let’s. Because he’s the ambassador for a country whose law and culture is medieval.

Unread 20-11-2022, 08:25 PM
Joe Biden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Yes let’s. Because he’s the ambassador for a country whose law and culture is medieval.
So no Muslim countries are allowed ambassadors then? You know all Muslims dislike the LBGTQ+ people including the millions in the uk? It's blatant islamaphobia, it's their country their culture let them be. The guy would never dream of saying anything to a Muslim to he attacks Beckham. Does he allow Muslims to buy tickets to his show.... Bit of a hypocrite if he does.

Unread 20-11-2022, 08:30 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
This country mixes, deals and trades with loads of countries who are questionable. Questionable itself truth be known. Cheap shots from a cheap so called comedian who Becks has probably never heard of. £#%&! off

Unread 20-11-2022, 08:33 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
So no Muslim countries are allowed ambassadors then? .
I’m sure they can - Guess theirs is just a tough gig.

Homosexuality is against the law in Qatar punishable by 7 years in prison or even the death penalty.

That’s what Beckham is, I would argue, directly promoting.

Unread 20-11-2022, 08:46 PM
Sparky***

It's a close one but I think beckham has won this particular battle

Unread 20-11-2022, 08:49 PM
Joe Biden

Quote:
I’m sure they can - Guess theirs is just a tough gig.

Homosexuality is against the law in Qatar punishable by 7 years in prison or even the death penalty.

That’s what Beckham is, I would argue, directly promoting.
No I don't think he is.

Unread 20-11-2022, 08:54 PM
jem

Quote:
It's blatant islamaphobia, it's their country their culture let them be.
yeah, but... no.

Unread 20-11-2022, 08:58 PM
Joe Biden

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
yeah, but... no.
Well at least have the balls to attack Muslims directly instead of doing it a snide way through David Beckham.

Unread 20-11-2022, 09:00 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Well at least have the balls to attack Muslims directly instead of doing it a snide way through David Beckham.
Why would he attack the religion of peace?

Unread 20-11-2022, 09:10 PM
Wayne Jenkins

Quote:
The rainbow people are too much these days. We get it you're gay, but do you have to ram in down everybodys throat 24/7.
~2% of the population, constantly making noise, trying to force their agenda to everyone at every opportunity.

Never heard of the guy, but comes across as a grandstanding, clout-chasing #@&%!.

Unread 20-11-2022, 09:14 PM
Hyman_Roth

He’s working as an ambassador for the same Qatari administration that creates/upholds the law around homosexuality that everyone’s going on about. He isn’t just covering the wc for the bbc.

I guess it’s implicitly acknowledged that it was a controversial role - hence being paid £150m. All that’s happening is beckham is being criticised for taking on a pr role for a bunch of nasty @#%&!s by a low ranking comedian.

I think it’s right for him to be criticised but I’m not sure I’d give too much of a £#%&! for £150m.

Unread 20-11-2022, 09:22 PM
Dr Stranger

Their country, their culture….ok, but you don’t have to endorse it/support it/buy into it etc.

Happy to promote inclusivity in the PL and wear rainbow armbands, but we’ll ignore all that when we want to watch our football in a country that directly opposes it.

If you want to go, fine. If you want to take the money, fine, but don’t be surprised when people call into question your morals.

BBC can £#%&! off too. Full of snide. Still there, still covering it. Sat in their studio in their stadium in their country. If it bothers you this much, don’t cover it.

Like Hislop simply put to Neville, if you’re really against it, then don’t go.

Unread 20-11-2022, 09:28 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
This country mixes, deals and trades with loads of countries who are questionable. Questionable itself truth be known. Cheap shots from a cheap so called comedian who Becks has probably never heard of. £#%&! off
This.

Europe was gagging for Qatari LNG a couple of months ago too.

Unread 20-11-2022, 09:30 PM
Ethers

Quote:
He’s working as an ambassador for the same Qatari administration that creates/upholds the law around homosexuality that everyone’s going on about. He isn’t just covering the wc for the bbc.

I guess it’s implicitly acknowledged that it was a controversial role - hence being paid £150m. All that’s happening is beckham is being criticised for taking on a pr role for a bunch of nasty @#%&!s by a low ranking comedian.

I think it’s right for him to be criticised but I’m not sure I’d give too much of a £#%&! for £150m.
This.

Mad how anyone can think otherwise frankly.

Unread 20-11-2022, 09:31 PM
Joe Biden

Maybe Qatar has some positive things going for it as well. Beckham is being paid to promote that side of things. I've not seen anything from Beckham yet where he's promoting killing gays.

Unread 20-11-2022, 09:34 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Maybe Qatar has some positive things going for it as well. Beckham is being paid to promote that side of things. I've not seen anything from Beckham yet where he's promoting killing gays.
I’m sure there are plenty of good things to experience. Maybe the KKK put a hell of a buffet on too. I’d like to think the ‘gay’ stance would be a deal breaker though.

He’s not promoting killing gays. He’s happy to take money from a country that does. It isn’t complicated and doesn’t require any disingenuous reductionism.

Unread 20-11-2022, 09:37 PM
Joe Biden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
I’m sure there are plenty of good things to experience. Maybe the KKK put a hell of a buffet on too. I’d like to think the ‘gay’ stance would be a deal breaker though.

He’s not promoting killing gays. He’s happy to take money from a country that does. It isn’t complicated and doesn’t require any disingenuous reductionism.
They don't actually kill gays though do they? Not a single instance in history of a gay person being executed in Qatar.
Closed Thread