United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-01-2016, 02:08 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstool
Well that's why it's not the best ever league performance. The second 45 wasn't bad though.

Longer highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_S3DvL7h84
Can't abide Bower's commentary. Voice just lacks the gravitas

Unread 16-01-2016, 03:23 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
Unbelievable player.
Even Ronaldo did not get the crowd buzzing like Giggs, palpable electricity among the crowd when he picked the ball up. Have not been regularly in years but that murmuring wave when he was off on a run will always stay with me. Plus all the "£#%&! off Giggs" when he gave it away

Beautiful player.

Unread 16-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Watching that back, Gomes was shocking at times

Re the penalty, I could understand where Redknapp was coming from certainly. Think we were an hour in nearly and still very nervously plugging away. That could have turned out very different had we not been awarded that penalty, which was obviously never a foul.
All these years, I've felt either I've been wrong about this, or everyone else is. Gomes clearly brought down Carrick. The issue is whether he played the ball or not, and everyone assumed he did, because of the way the ball changes direction. But I always thought it was Carrick's touch that took it past Gomes, and it just brushes off his fingertips on the way. Even allowing for that slight touch, if a defender plays the ball but brings the man down, it's often a foul.

Unread 16-01-2016, 03:39 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Unread 16-01-2016, 03:42 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
All these years, I've felt either I've been wrong about this, or everyone else is. Gomes clearly brought down Carrick. The issue is whether he played the ball or not, and everyone assumed he did, because of the way the ball changes direction. But I always thought it was Carrick's touch that took it past Gomes, and it just brushes off his fingertips on the way. Even allowing for that slight touch, if a defender plays the ball but brings the man down, it's often a foul.
No, you're right.

In any case, I've always thought it wasn't that clear anyway. Even if you could make a case for it not being a foul, you could easily see why the ref thought ot was. It was never the ridiculous decision the media made it out to be.

Unread 16-01-2016, 03:42 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
There was certainly a case for it being a penalty. Not black and white at all.

As usual with decisions involving us, a complete lack of balance. Fronted as the most outrageous miscarriage of justice, that people remember it 7 years on when it should be a forgettable side note of a half of football where we scored FIVE £#%&!ING GOALS

Unread 16-01-2016, 03:46 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
There was certainly a case for it being a penalty. Not black and white at all.

As usual with decisions involving us, a complete lack of balance. Fronted as the most outrageous miscarriage of justice, that people remember it 7 years on when it should be a forgettable side note of a half of football where we scored FIVE £#%&!ING GOALS
It was typical Spurs as well, they were under pressure and the penalty gave them an excuse. All the focus was on that one moment and not asking why Spurs capitulated. On the other side it allowed the pundits and ABU's to discredit the performance, which was outstanding, relentless attacking at pace.

Unread 16-01-2016, 10:31 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Even Ronaldo did not get the crowd buzzing like Giggs, palpable electricity among the crowd when he picked the ball up. Have not been regularly in years but that murmuring wave when he was off on a run will always stay with me. Plus all the "£#%&! off Giggs" when he gave it away

Beautiful player.
so true. The Hughes hater that sat near us in the 90s had bi-polar when it came to giggs. Would almost want him dead if he ever dared give the ball away, often after an incredible, get you on the edge of the seat type run. Come to think of it, the whole crowd often used to groan when he'd give it away after those runs ffs They'd take that now!

I've been getting worked up recently at the prospect of us settling for Giggs as our next manager but what an outstanding player on every level. An absolute joy to watch and the ultimate professional. The standards he maintained for 20 odd years as well. Just brilliant.

Unread 17-01-2016, 12:41 AM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Has the 4-0 away to Bolton with a Rooney hattrick been mentioned? In the 06/07 season.

We destroyed them again at home too - that Ronaldo Rooney combination on the counter for Rooney's goal

Ronaldo was quicker with the ball than some of their players were without it

Unread 17-01-2016, 01:24 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
Has the 4-0 away to Bolton with a Rooney hattrick been mentioned? In the 06/07 season.

We destroyed them again at home too - that Ronaldo Rooney combination on the counter for Rooney's goal

Ronaldo was quicker with the ball than some of their players were without it
IIRC we had just 13 fit outfield players for that match as well. Then GNev picked up a horrific injury during it (and was never the same afterwards)

Unread 17-01-2016, 01:51 AM
Stickman

Quote:
He played the ball like a standard tackle where the player gets wiped in the process. Far too ambiguous to award the penalty in my book though obviously I'm glad he did.

We would have been choking had that been given at the other end.

Unread 17-01-2016, 02:10 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
He played the ball like a standard tackle where the player gets wiped in the process. Far too ambiguous to award the penalty in my book though obviously I'm glad he did.

We would have been choking had that been given at the other end.
I don't think Gomes played the ball. Of course, this was with dodgy video quality, but my memory from watching it slowed down at the time is that it was Carrick who changed the direction of the ball, and Gomes got only the slightest touch after that, which was also after or while clattering into Carrick.

Unread 17-01-2016, 07:22 AM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
I don't think Gomes played the ball. Of course, this was with dodgy video quality, but my memory from watching it slowed down at the time is that it was Carrick who changed the direction of the ball, and Gomes got only the slightest touch after that, which was also after or while clattering into Carrick.
Agreed

Unread 17-01-2016, 02:10 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Carrick absolutely changed the direction of the ball. Gomes hit the ball once redirected and clearly pushes it.

There's an angle from behind Gomes that clearly show this. It was never a foul in a month of Sunday's.
Closed Thread