United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-01-2016, 04:57 PM
PeakyBlinder

Never gonna see performances like this again.

Unread 15-01-2016, 05:09 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

If it wasn't for that 5 goal penalty though we wouldn't have beaten spurs.

Man Redknapp is a state.

Unread 15-01-2016, 05:10 PM
Clarkie

Eric's first goal ffs.

Surprised that hasn't been mentioned

Battered them that day, even with all the injuries. Seba

Unread 15-01-2016, 06:21 PM
MagnificentSeven

4-0 at leeds in 1996 or 97. the one where cantona scored and then just calmly stood in front of a stand full of riled up scum fans.

Unread 15-01-2016, 06:29 PM
Sparky***

There was a period in the 1993/94 season where we just battered everyone who turned up at Old Trafford, it was absolutely wonderful to behold. There was a goal we scored against Swindon I think where Ryan Giggs just blasted past this bloke on the wing like he was standing still, crosses it in for Hughes to Score. £#%&! me.

In terms of maintaining a tempo and keeping relentlessly going for goals, the 9-0 v Ipswich is hard to top, especially considering it was only 3-0 at half time. Then there was the 6-0 v Newcastle in 07/08 at Old Trafford which I believe was 0-0 at half time. Crazy to think of us scoring 6 goals in one half these days.

I still say though, the best team performance at Old Trafford in recent years in terms of sheer excitement, atmosphere and adrenaline pumping awesomeness was the 7-1 against Roma in 2007. And yes I know it wasn't in the premier league but that, along with the 4-0 vs Porto in 1997 remain the benchmark of my time watching United taking into account quality of opposition and occasion. The atmosphere was tangible that night against Porto, it was like United had finally awoken in Europe after 40 years.

Unread 15-01-2016, 06:35 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
There was a period in the 1993/94 season where we just battered everyone who turned up at Old Trafford, it was absolutely wonderful to behold. There was a goal we scored against Swindon I think where Ryan Giggs just blasted past this bloke on the wing like he was standing still, crosses it in for Hughes to Score. £#%&! me.

In terms of maintaining a tempo and keeping relentlessly going for goals, the 9-0 v Ipswich is hard to top, especially considering it was only 3-0 at half time. Then there was the 6-0 v Newcastle in 07/08 at Old Trafford which I believe was 0-0 at half time. Crazy to think of us scoring 6 goals in one half these days.

I still say though, the best team performance at Old Trafford in recent years in terms of sheer excitement, atmosphere and adrenaline pumping awesomeness was the 7-1 against Roma in 2007. And yes I know it wasn't in the premier league but that, along with the 4-0 vs Porto in 1997 remain the benchmark of my time watching United taking into account quality of opposition and occasion. The atmosphere was tangible that night against Porto, it was like United had finally awoken in Europe after 40 years.
Juventus in 1997/98 was a special night.

Unread 15-01-2016, 06:39 PM
Sizlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentSeven
4-0 at leeds in 1996 or 97. the one where cantona scored and then just calmly stood in front of a stand full of riled up scum fans.
He had missed a penalty at 0-0 (his only ever miss) in front of the same stand so i think he might of had some stick from them.

Unread 15-01-2016, 06:40 PM
Sparky***

Special mention for the 2-0 at Old Trafford vs Newcastle in 1996. Andy Cole scoring a wonderful side foot effort on a freezing cold night, 2-0 didn't do us justice, we absolutely battered them.

Unread 15-01-2016, 06:45 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizlack
He had missed a penalty at 0-0 (his only ever miss) in front of the same stand so i think he might of had some stick from them.
Also missed V Blackburn (but scored in that game also )

Unread 15-01-2016, 06:46 PM
MJ Ramone

Thumbs up

Quote:
Special mention for the 2-0 at Old Trafford vs Newcastle in 1996. Andy Cole scoring a wonderful side foot effort on a freezing cold night, 2-0 didn't do us justice, we absolutely battered them.

frosty pitch.

£#%&!ing men against boys that evening tbh

Unread 15-01-2016, 06:50 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizlack
Also missed one against Blackburn in the same season. Scored 17 out of 19 penalties.

Unread 15-01-2016, 06:51 PM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakyBlinder
Good performance but Arsenal was ridiculously shit that day. And the youngsters that had playing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakyBlinder
8-1 away at Forest was pretty incredible.

Unread 15-01-2016, 06:54 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Classic Koppas.

Unread 15-01-2016, 07:02 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone

frosty pitch.

£#%&!ing men against boys that evening tbh
Had quite a few injuries that night too. May and Neville at centre half

Clarkie

The 2-1 in 1999 against Spurs was a great performance when you consider the pressure, the occasion and what was on the line.

Absolutely battered them that day. Their goal came from a long ball punt. Had nowt before that or after

thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
Great shout. Superb ball from Giggs...

almost the same goal when we thrashed em 5-1 in 99/00

same ball from Giggs & finish from Cole

(Third Goal 16:40)

Unread 15-01-2016, 07:03 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Had quite a few injuries that night too. May and Neville at centre half
Can't remember exactly but, what was wrong with Eric's head that night? He had some sort of mark on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrills_pills_bellyaches
Great shout. Superb ball from Giggs...

https://youtu.be/seUUgm3Ebho

almost the same goal when we thrashed em 5-1 in 99/00

same ball from Giggs & finish from Cole

https://youtu.be/AxBL_c1zOiw

(Third Goal 16:40)
That second game was on a Monday morning for some strange reason. Anyone remember why?

Unread 15-01-2016, 07:06 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Can't remember exactly but, what was wrong with Eric's head that night? He had some sort of mark on it
Can't remember. But I recall going into that game with most people thinking we'd get beaten comprehensively. Injuries and 5 games without a win, Newcastle flying.

Prunier came in for the next game against QPR such was the injury crisis

Unread 15-01-2016, 07:12 PM
ziggyman17

Quote:
remember it like it was yesterday... Brilliant performance, Keane was £#%&!ing unplayable..... was everywhere, winning tackles, breaking up play, attacking, scoring,

what a player he was..... no midfielder playing today would get near him in his prime.........

Unread 15-01-2016, 07:15 PM
carlosartorial

2-2 at Arsenal in 2002/03. They were arguably better than us at the time and it was virtually a title decider....don't recall ever being as nervous as I was before that game - ridiculously tense.
Closed Thread