United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 27-07-2015, 03:42 PM
celtbion

Might be a gentle reminder to the powers that be to ensure he has the right talent available to make a push for the league in the short term.

Unread 27-07-2015, 03:52 PM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Remember Mourinho saying he would retire from football at 60. Now he says he wants the Portugal job at 70. Can see LvG being like him and Fergie and struggling to put it down. If he takes us where he wants to, it won't be easy to just walk away. Especially as he knows Giggsy will probably £#%&! it up

Unread 27-07-2015, 04:01 PM
Sparky***

Keep him here for until 2019 so he can cement his legacy and sort our youth team out.

Unread 27-07-2015, 04:11 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Keep him here for until 2019 so he can cement his legacy and sort our youth team out.
Agreed. A couple of cheeky leagues and/or CL's will do very nicely as well.

Unread 27-07-2015, 06:11 PM
NinoyAquino

lots of gaylordery on this thread. Love the man but extending his contract already? I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that we have second season syndrome with LVG in charge, we start badly and he gets the boot before christmas. Need to see improvements on last year before we even discuss a new contract.

Unread 27-07-2015, 06:56 PM
puressence

probably up there with eric retiring the day that man walks away

Unread 27-07-2015, 06:57 PM
dragflick

Glad everyone knows in advance when he's leaving so we have another Fergie in 2002 situation where the players don't give much of a shit etc. That's good. £#%&! sake.

Unread 27-07-2015, 07:07 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinoyAquino
lots of gaylordery on this thread. Love the man but extending his contract already? I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that we have second season syndrome with LVG in charge, we start badly and he gets the boot before christmas. Need to see improvements on last year before we even discuss a new contract.

Unread 27-07-2015, 07:16 PM
Vedder

Quote:

Unread 27-07-2015, 07:16 PM
Zorg

Quote:
You've set me off again with that ffs.

Unread 27-07-2015, 07:20 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Glad everyone knows in advance when he's leaving so we have another Fergie in 2002 situation where the players don't give much of a shit etc. That's good. £#%&! sake.
Did someone tell Di Maria that last year?

Unread 27-07-2015, 07:41 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinoyAquino
I think Utd are all in on LVG now, authorizing this level of spending and squad revolution surely means faith in a long term plan. It is a lot of trust in his vision, means the next manager needs to be someone who can follow in similar lines, be it Giggs after 3 years shadowing or Guardiola.

Unless there is a Moyes-esque season on the pitch or a breakdown in personal relations(the more likely event give his history) 3 years is the minimum he will be here.

Unread 27-07-2015, 08:10 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
I think Utd are all in on LVG now, authorizing this level of spending and squad revolution surely means faith in a long term plan. It is a lot of trust in his vision, means the next manager needs to be someone who can follow in similar lines, be it Giggs after 3 years shadowing or Guardiola.

Unless there is a Moyes-esque season on the pitch or a breakdown in personal relations(the more likely event give his history) 3 years is the minimum he will be here.
You have to consider the clubs he's worked at, though. Three years as Barca manager is a long time. And Bayern rarely have managers for much longer than that, either. LvG doesn't tend to have major problems with the players in general, and his relationship with Woodward seems good. I'd be very surprised if things fell apart to a strong degree. Although for all the money spent, I worry that no new CB and lack of attacking depth will undermine our chances of challenging this season.

For that reason it's incredibly still quite low pressure for LvG. Very few neutrals would tip United for a top 2 finish this season atm.

Unread 27-07-2015, 08:24 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
You have to consider the clubs he's worked at, though. Three years as Barca manager is a long time. And Bayern rarely have managers for much longer than that, either. LvG doesn't tend to have major problems with the players in general, and his relationship with Woodward seems good. I'd be very surprised if things fell apart to a strong degree. Although for all the money spent, I worry that no new CB and lack of attacking depth will undermine our chances of challenging this season.

For that reason it's incredibly still quite low pressure for LvG. Very few neutrals would tip United for a top 2 finish this season atm.
I have said before that it is a dream job for LVG, a level of control that most managers fantasize about, massive financial backing to build the squad he wants and low expectations amongst the fans, a perfect scenario.

I would expect Chelsea to be strong this season, the challenge for Mourinho will be moving on from Terry and perhaps the expectation of a good run in the CL. City are in a transition period, Arsenal should be strong, I know we say this every year but they have the best attacking options in the league and look to be building to something significant.

I would be disappointed if Utd do not challenge for the top 2, would hope for a cup win and a decent showing in Europe. Missed out on the FA Cup last year, not often that easy of a draw comes around. Mostly I want to be entertained by Utd again.

Unread 27-07-2015, 08:32 PM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:

relationships where one party or the other isn't particularly emotionally attached break down very quickly when straight talking people are involved

you cannot spend £300m and counting in 2 seasons and not be challenging for the top trophies. if he fails this season then next season - his last, presumably - the pressure will be intense.

great football - and far more of it than last season btw - together with real progress through the ranks is what i really want to see this season tbh, and a new centre forward would be nice, too (picked on merit in competition with Rooney before the fanboys kick-off)

Unread 27-07-2015, 08:37 PM
taff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakyBlinder
That was before 'Woody' was born.

Wouldn't suprise me if Woody has his croonies march him off site when LvG walks away.

Big boy shit.
i still wonder if there's unfinished business with united and mourinho. don't buy this 'job for life' %@#$&!s with chelsea and i suspect woodward would love him. van gaal protégé too

Unread 27-07-2015, 08:59 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantic Lisp
relationships where one party or the other isn't particularly emotionally attached break down very quickly when straight talking people are involved

you cannot spend £300m and counting in 2 seasons and not be challenging for the top trophies. if he fails this season then next season - his last, presumably - the pressure will be intense.

great football - and far more of it than last season btw - together with real progress through the ranks is what i really want to see this season tbh, and a new centre forward would be nice, too (picked on merit in competition with Rooney before the fanboys kick-off)
With one or two that's fine. Di Maria clearly wasn't up for it last season, while Valdes had his differences with the manager, and no doubt one or two others I suspect. It didn't seem to affect the group at all, because fallouts are part of the game. And in my experience players prefer straight-talking managers, especially ones who know the game. Whearas a seemingly weak or deceptive manager like Moyes or Benitez can lose players very easily. LvG was able to leave guys like Mata and Herrera out for spells last year without losing them, because they seemingly appreciated his reasoning and honesty. It's when a substantial amount of the the group as a whole don't believe in the 'philosophy' that things will go to shit.

Agree about the football. I think LvG could finish 3rd and comfortably still be in the job next summer as long as the football is good and our European campaign is respectful. There will, though, be definite strong pressure on him in the third year. He'd expect no less; it's what he's been used to most of his career.

Unread 27-07-2015, 10:13 PM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
With one or two that's fine. Di Maria clearly wasn't up for it last season, while Valdes had his differences with the manager, and no doubt one or two others I suspect. It didn't seem to affect the group at all, because fallouts are part of the game. And in my experience players prefer straight-talking managers, especially ones who know the game. Whearas a seemingly weak or deceptive manager like Moyes or Benitez can lose players very easily. LvG was able to leave guys like Mata and Herrera out for spells last year without losing them, because they seemingly appreciated his reasoning and honesty. It's when a substantial amount of the the group as a whole don't believe in the 'philosophy' that things will go to shit.

Agree about the football. I think LvG could finish 3rd and comfortably still be in the job next summer as long as the football is good and our European campaign is respectful. There will, though, be definite strong pressure on him in the third year. He'd expect no less; it's what he's been used to most of his career.
he can kiss rooney's arse and keep most of the rest onside for the time being, and plenty of the new signings are straight on message with that line as well - the politics of united's dressing room isn't exactly rocket science

the club's hierarchy may yet prove a different matter. LVG is cute enough not to be hinting yet that he might need more than 3 years to satisfy his ego, of course ;-}

Unread 27-07-2015, 10:23 PM
est.1878

Vividly recall eamon holmes having met frogson before VG announced and stated that would be medium term appointment till giggs took over in 2017
Closed Thread