United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 31-10-2022, 04:47 PM
windy waffles

Football The backpass rule

As someone who was too young to really remember this, and as mentioned in the Italia 90 thread, thought I'd do a quick YouTube search on the back pass when it was allowed. Stunned that teams could do this. For those of you old enough, how frequent was shit like this? Never realised it was so rife.

Unread 31-10-2022, 04:49 PM
Zorg

Hansen > Grobbelaar > Whelan > Grobbelaar > Hansen > Grobbelaar > Hansen > Grobbelaar > Hansen > Grobbelaar > Hansen > Grobbelaar > Hansen > Grobbelaar > Hansen....

'The Liverpool way'

Unread 31-10-2022, 04:51 PM
moransbleedinghead

if you're brave enough, google some of the vermin's European cup wins, or Forest's, one of the best rule changes ever, no coincidence that it took the vermin almost 30 years since the scrapping of that rule to win the league again.

Unread 31-10-2022, 04:53 PM
Motown Manc

It's no coincidence that Liverpool fell off a cliff for 30 years after the pass back rule was changed. It was even more tedious watching them during that era than City's death by passing.

Unread 31-10-2022, 04:54 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Hansen > Grobbelaar > Whelan > Grobbelaar > Hansen > Grobbelaar > Hansen > Grobbelaar > Hansen > Grobbelaar > Hansen > Grobbelaar > Hansen > Grobbelaar > Hansen....

'The Liverpool way'
preceded by aldridge diving for a penalty.

Unread 31-10-2022, 07:01 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
As someone who was too young to really remember this, and as mentioned in the Italia 90 thread, thought I'd do a quick YouTube search on the back pass when it was allowed. Stunned that teams could do this. For those of you old enough, how frequent was shit like this? Never realised it was so rife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX2HcvMkOiA
Was the back pass law post Euro ‘92 then? My brain always puts that tournament as the first time it was implemented.

That and the 4 step rule for keepers, not sure how we enjoyed the game until they were £#%&!ed off.

Unread 31-10-2022, 07:16 PM
lenin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Was the back pass law post Euro ‘92 then? My brain always puts that tournament as the first time it was implemented.

That and the 4 step rule for keepers, not sure how we enjoyed the game until they were f***ed off.
Yes. The first few weeks of the PL were comedy gold as every keeper and clogging defender struggled to actually play football.

Simon Tracey was my personal favourite

Though you’d find good clips of most keepers from those first few weeks. Schmeichel even came a cropper at home to Everton.

It was infinitely better than shit like this from another player steeped in Scouse history:

Unread 01-11-2022, 03:33 AM
Denis Irwell

Sums Souness up nicely, aside from his over the ball “tackles” + elbows.

Utter @#%&!.

First memory I have of him was playing for Boro at OT in the league cup ‘74. pirouetting Pogba style, until Sammy Mac came along and whipped the ball away from him just outside their box. 1-0 United. Amazed Paisley took him on tbh but they ran a disciplined outfit.

Wouldn’t be surprised if there was a vid somewhere
Closed Thread