United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > News, Current Affairs & Politics

Old 17-10-2017, 03:58 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
we could offer to let ireland join the uk.
You are Boris Johnson and I claim my five pounds

Old 17-10-2017, 04:04 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
Please describe the inevitable resolution, how it will be achieved and when it will be achieved.
Jem is right in that some of these stories are published to 'encourage' resolution on a particular subject. Although it does just show up what hasn't been considered or deliberatley discounted because it doesn't matter right now...

Old 17-10-2017, 04:07 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
I think that had about 2% support in RoI the last time the question was asked in a poll
Look, we've established that people just don't know what's good for them and can't be trusted to make these sorts of decisions.

I guess we could offer to take RoI off the EU's hands in lieu of payment of the brexit bill

Old 17-10-2017, 04:07 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
we could offer to let ireland join the uk.
Whilst we are on the subject of Ireland / Norn / the EU, I see that bastion of EU cooperation, Airbus, is trying to help Bombardier out of its pickle with the US.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...oeing-c-series

Old 17-10-2017, 04:14 PM
20 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Not like yours to ask.

Old 17-10-2017, 04:36 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
to encourage the inevitable resolution which will let them fly to be achieved as soon as possible?
If that is the case, they would seem to be following the tory negotiation strategy - They need/hope it to happen, so therefore it must. Hasn't worked out so far has it?

I said from the off that brexit would not happen because the tories simply do not have the political, constitutional and diplomatic wherewithal, or the trade and economic expertise, to see these negotiations and the required follow on trade negotiations, through to anything like a satisfactory conclusion.

What I have seen since makes me even more assured that this shit ain't happening.

Old 17-10-2017, 04:40 PM
jem

Quote:
Whilst we are on the subject of Ireland / Norn / the EU, I see that bastion of EU cooperation, Airbus, is trying to help Bombardier out of its pickle with the US.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...oeing-c-series
heard it on the radio this morning, along with some guff about the uk having the third largest foreign inward investment after usa and china (obvs hadn't read the indie). not sure saving the company by moving manufacturing to the states does a lot for the irish, but it will irritate boeing.

Old 17-10-2017, 04:58 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
heard it on the radio this morning, along with some guff about the uk having the third largest foreign inward investment after usa and china (obvs hadn't read the indie). not sure saving the company by moving manufacturing to the states does a lot for the irish, but it will irritate boeing.
Final assembly at Airbus in the US. The wings will still be made in Norn thus safeguarding the NI jobs. Did you not hear/want to hear that bit ?

Or were you listening to the British Brexit Corporation ?

Old 17-10-2017, 05:05 PM
jem

Quote:
Final assembly at Airbus in the US. The wings will still be made in Norn thus safeguarding the NI jobs. Did you not hear/want to hear that bit ?

Or were you listening to the British Brexit Corporation ?
I was probably focusing on doing my tie up.

Old 17-10-2017, 05:27 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
to encourage the inevitable resolution which will let them fly to be achieved as soon as possible?
Inevitable resolution? Good Christ I suppose you think they could knock that together in an afternoon?

And what about the multitude of other agencies, bodies, rules and systems we’ll have to find alternatives to, very very very quickly, by people with no experience whatsoever of doing so, to avoid f***ing chaos?

I know people who actually know what they are talking about are unfashionable at the moment, but the Senior European Experts group has written papers on just how mind-bendingly complex this would be.

Long read but worth it to have some idea of what you’re talking about for a change.

http://senioreuropeanexperts.org/pap...tory-agencies/

http://senioreuropeanexperts.org/pap...-consequences/