Quote:
Originally Posted by guerreiro
Same with SAF as well tbf. Pretty much everyone apart from Veron
Pretty much everyone apart from jem

Unread 19-07-2018, 12:41 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
As Manchester United, we don't aspire to functional & winning, we aspire to heart-stopping, thrilling, seat of your £#%&!ing pants football. If we win it's sublime, if we don't at least we go close. If we go close & bore everyone to £#%&!ing tears... all we have is the notion that it was all for absolutely £#%&! all. There's no glory in being a shit-@#%&! mate.
We may not aspire to functional football but we sure do aspire to win. Which is why under Ferie a lot of people accepted shit@#%&!ery as long as we had that league title triumph at the end.

No one really cared about us scraping past wolves at home by a 90th minute ji sung park winner cos we had a league title to be lifted in May.

This idealistic talk of entertaining football is just that, idealistic talk.

Unread 19-07-2018, 12:44 PM
Buck

Quote:
Fair enough, I don't believe any of us really wants to see him fail if he starts to play more of this cavalier football you mention. He showed all of his natural instincts the further the season progresses though, he has trust issues, he has insecurities about him place in the game. He has fear - specifically he who has the ball etc... it's all a bit small-time in the modern game, isn't it?

We didn't get vintage Louis, we're not getting vintage Mou. I can tolerate Mou as I see the progression, but much of the stuff I appreciate isn't played out in a coherent playing style that gets me (or anyone else) off their seat with any regularity.

As Manchester United, we don't aspire to functional & winning, we aspire to heart-stopping, thrilling, seat of your £#%&!ing pants football. If we win it's sublime, if we don't at least we go close. If we go close & bore everyone to £#%&!ing tears... all we have is the notion that it was all for absolutely £#%&! all. There's no glory in being a shit-@#%&! mate.

Unread 19-07-2018, 12:45 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
[/b]

I think its a myth we like to tell ourselves.

442, two wingers, attacking football.

Ferie was as pragmatic as the best of them.

Unread 19-07-2018, 12:48 PM
Ethers

Cavalier football? During which minutes was that exactly?

Unread 19-07-2018, 12:57 PM
sweetleftfoot

Baron doing the military two step down the nape of Mous neck here.

Love it.

Unread 19-07-2018, 01:14 PM
ScholesGingerSheen

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
We may not aspire to functional football but we sure do aspire to win. Which is why under Ferie a lot of people accepted shitc***ery as long as we had that league title triumph at the end.

No one really cared about us scraping past wolves at home by a 90th minute ji sung park winner cos we had a league title to be lifted in May.

This idealistic talk of entertaining football is just that, idealistic talk.
Our 5 lowest scoring seasons of the last ten years are the 5 years since he left, if you took the entirety of his Premier League record here and did the top 5 lowest scoring seasons, it would include 4 of the years since he left.

Scoring goals is entertaining and it also wins leagues, go figure.

Unread 19-07-2018, 01:33 PM
utd99

It appears Goth’s work here is done..... again.

Time to start secretly thinking of another forum wide brawl bait thread.

Unread 19-07-2018, 01:33 PM
Sparky***

Ok then, let's hear the suggestions for managers then.

Unread 19-07-2018, 01:39 PM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
AVB
Pochettino
Dyche
Allegri
Martinez
Low
Brendan

Unread 19-07-2018, 01:41 PM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
AVB
Pochettino
Dyche
Allegri
Martinez
Low
Brendan
Sessions.

Unread 19-07-2018, 01:47 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
One that fits a plan

And a plan

Unread 19-07-2018, 01:50 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
AVB
Pochettino
Dyche
Allegri
Martinez
Low
Brendan

Anybody got any sensible ones?

Unread 19-07-2018, 01:50 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
Sessions.

Unread 19-07-2018, 02:12 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
What's up, Sting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
tbf to jem He’s hated him for a decade, he didn’t want him first time round
that's what's up.

mou has just been mou. no one needed six months to know that didn't fit with united and to know what kind of football his teams play and his approach to the game. he needed to change. hasn't. £#%&! him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
he's hated every manager for decades.

Except for Fergie, you'd hope
fergie was a @#%&!, but I didn't hate him. gambler on "a team good enough to beat fulham", picker of shit midfields latterly, didn't know how to play 4-5-1 and mouthpiece of the oppressor.... but he could spot and develop a player and united were generally good to watch (despite saffers saying they were shit). just because he was one of the best managers ever doesn't mean he was above criticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
has already done a few things that are not typical Mourinho with the amount of young players promoted, at times cavalier football.
fake news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerreiro
Same with SAF as well tbf. Pretty much everyone apart from Veron
the list of united players I have loved and considered myself lucky to have seen is very long. veron is just a player that other people didn't like and fergie didn't know how to fit in. saying mcgrath or robson or scholes or giggs were top players is hardly contentious. maybe giggs went he had a lazy couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Pretty much everyone apart from jem
meh. true dat.

Unread 19-07-2018, 02:38 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Identity though Saffers, identity. Teams were terrified of 90's United because we had flying wingers, we had split strikers & expansive passing, overlapping fullbacks & we had hard @#%&!s doing it (& the odd soft lad) but they could all play. Fergie ended up being a more pragmatic manager by the end due to the Glazers influence, but also he was so good it was on auto-pilot to some degree & he was outsourcing shit left, right & centre. It was never United's mantra to be dull. You'll recall Van Persie's comments about Fergie's HT input "show me a dribble, show me a shot, try something" it was meant to free the players from the burden of rigidity. Freedom & expression - these aren't Mourinho traits. No real bother if you're smashing sides 4-0 of course, but I'm sure we're all realistic enough to know that's not happening any time soon.

Let's not be disingenuous, I said there's a lot of progress, but the football is simply just shit now - it is isn't it? And given he's had 2 years & spent far better than any of the last two helmets, it's not inspiring me or many others to think we'll be turning it on this year. Also, and this is simply observational based on Mou's career, he's exhibiting all the signs of his 3 year burn out. Sour face, fighting the world, issues behind the scenes. He's not a harmonious manager, he thrives on conflict & that's not from the Fergie handbook either (don't twist that statement - he's fighting everyone, not circling the wagons).

We can revisit this as & when it all goes down. I'm not really into the back & forth that we had to endure in the dark days of LvG but keep it respectful, what's the point in calling black white & vice versa...
Excellent post.

It's only a matter of time now before the implosion. Christ I wish they have a contingency plan.

Unread 19-07-2018, 02:49 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
It's only a matter of time now before the implosion. Christ I wish they have a contingency plan.
It's why a DoF type is really necessary, all credit to Siders for beating this drum for a few years now. Without a Fergie who owned the £#%&! out of the club from top to bottom over the course of his reign, it's simply not feasible to come in & take all that on. I don't think there's another club in the world that does it, especially not in the modern game since everything went ballistic moneywise.

Woodward should be left to do commercial work. We should have got Monchi before he went to Roma, it's mental to think of a man that capable of spotting talent isn't at an elite club (apologies to Roma & all that...).

Allowing a coach to come in & coach, not £#%&!ing moaning about his players, know it has nothing to do with his job etc - that is the way football works now. The days of yore are very much £#%&!ing yore.
Closed Thread