United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-12-2008, 06:04 PM
wonky no

Default the first time you saw rooney play in the flesh

i was asked the other day by a young lad wether i can remember seeing rooney play for the first time.

for me it was at OT and he came on at half time. we had battered everton in the first half but for some bizarre reason it was 0-0. in the second half rooney came on and he stole the show. absolute revelation in the everton side. it was one of those moments when you know you've seen some thing special. i think he was 17.

we ended up winning 3-0 even though everton were perhaps the more dominant in the second half. i remember thinking what a shame that @#%&! is scouse.

rooney for fat camp came the season after i think?

Unread 03-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Was at the same game. He was superb. As was Scholes' second goal

Unread 03-12-2008, 06:08 PM
thenorthwillriseagain

the time he scored the volley against newcastle

Unread 03-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Chorlton74

OT on Boxing Day in 2003 i think it was. Rooney and Ronnie tearing strips out of each other. Pissed it down all day, united won and went home to get drunk on super bock.

Unread 03-12-2008, 06:11 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
i was asked the other day by a young lad wether i can remember seeing rooney play for the first time.

for me it was at OT and he came on at half time. we had battered everton in the first half but for some bizarre reason it was 0-0. in the second half rooney came on and he stole the show. absolute revelation in the everton side. it was one of those moments when you know you've seen some thing special. i think he was 17.

we ended up winning 3-0 even though everton were perhaps the more dominant in the second half. i remember thinking what a shame that @#%&! is scouse.

Yep.
Same as me.

I honestly said to my Dad after the game that Rooney would play for United one day.
Even those first couple of seasons when he was still at Everton I used to look forward to MOTD or Super Sunday if Everton were playing because I wanted to see Rooney play.

Even now after 4 years of him being a Red, whether I'm at the game or watching in the Pub or whatever..I still look forward to watching him play.
£#%&!ing great player.

Unread 03-12-2008, 06:34 PM
wee man

Quote:

me too. Was a Monday night game I think and the 3 goals came in the last 3/4 minutes. Remember just before our first he broke through a few tackles and scuffed his shot - he would have had to for Barthez to have saved it. Always had the feeling he would end up at United.

Unread 03-12-2008, 06:34 PM
poppy

Saw him play for Everton when he came on as sub and stuck that last minute winner against Seaman.

My mate's a big Evertonian and got us tickets through his company. It included a curry and free ale before the game in one of those host houses opposite the main stand, while my then missus took his Yank girlfriend (now wife) to The Beatles museum.

All I had to do was pretend I was an Everton fan for the day. I remember chatting to John Bailey in the house and him looking down and clocking my little United pin badge that I had forgotten to take off. He was fine about it but the bloke that sorted the tickets wasn't too happy, saying an Evertonian could have had that ticket bla bla bla.

Corking day. And I'd like to say I was in on the secret long before most, but Rooney was already very well known to even non Evertonians at the time and was spoken of as the next big thing.

I also remember people on Red Issue saying it was a farce and a fix that he pipped John O'Shea for Young Player of the Year.

How times change.

Unread 03-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:

That would have been 7th October 2002 - the day I buried my old man so I wasn't there for obvious reasons.

I saw him play the season after when he took out Ronaldo on the right wing just near the South Stand - we were apoplectic...

Unread 03-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Yep.
Same as me.

I honestly said to my Dad after the game that Rooney would play for United one day.
Even those first couple of seasons when he was still at Everton I used to look forward to MOTD or Super Sunday if Everton were playing because I wanted to see Rooney play.

Even now after 4 years of him being a Red, whether I'm at the game or watching in the Pub or whatever..I still look forward to watching him play.
£#%&!ing great player.
I said the same thing to my step father during that game. Only I got the time frame right, I said (jokingly at the time) he'll be ours in two years. I was right almost to the day i think.

Unread 03-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
Saw him play for Everton when he came on as sub and stuck that last minute winner against Seaman.

My mate's a big Evertonian and got us tickets through his company. It included a curry and free ale before the game in one of those host houses opposite the main stand, while my then missus took his Yank girlfriend (now wife) to The Beatles museum.

All I had to do was pretend I was an Everton fan for the day. I remember chatting to John Bailey in the house and him looking down and clocking my little United pin badge that I had forgotten to take off. He was fine about it but the bloke that sorted the tickets wasn't too happy, saying an Evertonian could have had that ticket bla bla bla.

Corking day. And I'd like to say I was in on the secret long before most, but Rooney was already very well known to even non Evertonians at the time and was spoken of as the next big thing.

I also remember people on Red Issue saying it was a farce and a fix that he pipped John O'Shea for Young Player of the Year.

How times change.
Your memory is playing tricks on you. O'Shea was robbed, it was Jenas who won it in 2003.

Unread 03-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorlton74
OT on Boxing Day in 2003 i think it was. Rooney and Ronnie tearing strips out of each other. Pissed it down all day, united won and went home to get drunk on super bock.
Ronaldo dominated him. Rooney scythed him down with a shit knee high, wrap-around tackle.

Quote:

He hit the foot of the post if I remember rightly at 0-0 or 1-0, cutting in from the right-wing-side corner of the penalty area. I was in K and thought it was gonna squirm in. I think it was 0-0 or 1-0 because I just remember feeling dead relieved it didnt go in.

Unread 03-12-2008, 06:55 PM
waynes ear's

his debut for us

didnt last the full 90, neither did neworderdude, roon78 or el diablo

Unread 03-12-2008, 07:09 PM
poppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Your memory is playing tricks on you. O'Shea was robbed, it was Jenas who won it in 2003.
Might have been BBC Young Sports Personality or the North West Young Player. He definitely won some young doofer award while at Everton ahead of JOS and people on RI were complaining.

Unread 03-12-2008, 07:15 PM
poppy

Bravo Award maybe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bravo_Award

Unread 03-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
Surprised he beat Johnny.

Unread 03-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Sparky***

The first time i saw rooney play in the flesh was on his united debut vs Fenerbache. Despite our relatively poor season in 04/05 (and the horrible events of may 05) watching Wayne rooney every other weekend from my seat in the south stand made the whole season worthwhile. I was sat, dead in line when he hit that volley against Newcastle - what a moment.

I've always said the highest compliment I can pay wayne rooney is that he plays for united the way that I would. Heart and soul.

Unread 03-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Tumescent Throb

same as many... the match where Ronaldo dived like a bitch over Rooney's playful lunging full speed chest high challenge

dirty fat horrible scouse @#%&!

our dirty fat horrible scouse @#%&!

Unread 03-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
same as many... the match where Ronaldo dived like a bitch over Rooney's playful lunging full speed chest high challenge

dirty fat horrible scouse @#%&!

our dirty fat horrible scouse @#%&!
The irony is, that a few years after that challenge, a middlesbrough player launched into an identical assault on Ronaldo on the same bit of touchline. Who was the first over to defend Ronaldo?

Unread 03-12-2008, 08:50 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Who was the first over to defend Ronaldo?
Carlos @#%&!oz?

Unread 03-12-2008, 09:09 PM
dunk

Quote:

That was the first time I saw him in the flesh. The atmosphere that night was £#%&!ing bouncing, even in South Stand. Rooney made Silvestre look like a mug and I decided there and then he was going to be a top player. 16/17 ran from the halfway lie against 2 United defenders, Silvestre and another, twisted them both up and should've scored. They could do £#%&! all with him, and that was him upfront on his own. There was just a presence about him.

Scholes' 2nd was a joy to behold.
Closed Thread