United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-11-2020, 03:15 PM
naes_sean

Default Everton vs Man Utd - Solskjaer Press Conference | Looking for Response from Players

Unread 06-11-2020, 03:20 PM
ScarFace

If you can't be bothered listening to him here's his big brother best bits

Asked about being inconstant
"There’s been too much made of not scoring against Arsenal and Chelsea, there’ve been nothing in those games and it’s not long ago we were the best thing since sliced bread against Leipzig and PSG."

Asked about being backed

"I've always had a very good, open and honest and positive dialogue with the club.
They've shown strong leadership since I come in and with me today it's sunny in Manchester, I don't expect the wind to turn"

Asked about the squads mood
"Times are different, times are strange, there is a strain on the players. Football is not the same without fans and passion. I don’t think anyone’s been in the situation the players are now - they've had months and months of playing with uncertainty and unknown with the virus and pandemic."

Basically, Arsenal were not unlucky not to be 3 nil up at half time. You should pity millionaires during the pandemic and a brief weather update.

Unread 06-11-2020, 03:23 PM
barca99

Just LOL.

Life sucked out of any enjoyment watching United again, same shite different week. Same press conferences, same post match interviews same old %@#$&!s.

Only positive its an early kick off gets it over and done with.

Happy Friday

Unread 06-11-2020, 03:34 PM
NedKelly

We’re at “covid is why we’re shit”

Unread 06-11-2020, 04:56 PM
Dr Stranger

Nothing out of the ordinary there.

A little hint at the end about complacency.... but really, what can he say? When the team is in the situation that it is, there’s nothing he can say that will help. Work hard, bounce back etc. All that matters is tomorrow.

Unread 06-11-2020, 05:49 PM
jem

Unread 06-11-2020, 06:08 PM
LaPaz

So he didn't say anything about playing too many games in a short time and having to freshen up the team?

Maybe he's saving that one for the post match press conference to explain why James started.

Unread 06-11-2020, 06:08 PM
ScarFace

He said in his press conference people are too reactionary about wins & losses.....The only reason he was offered the job you cheeky £#%&!er !

Unread 06-11-2020, 06:39 PM
LaPaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Nothing out of the ordinary there.

A little hint at the end about complacency.... but really, what can he say? When the team is in the situation that it is, there’s nothing he can say that will help. Work hard, bounce back etc. All that matters is tomorrow.
Sorry to say this but he's the manager he's had two days to work out the beginings of a way forward and all he's come up with is the same old soundbites which unfortunately leads me to start to believe he doesn't have an answer or even the start of a strategy that will lead us forward.

The way we conceded the first goal in Turkey has made me reassess how I feel about him continuing as manager.

Unread 06-11-2020, 06:53 PM
Parlabane

Why would he, in front of all the media outline what exactly he's going to do to change things.

You never hear managers discussing things like this in detail, press conferences are just platitudes / soundbites.

Fergie was famous for bullshitting his way through them and held the press in contempt, and I don't see why Ole shouldn't treat them any different, especially as they are already sharpening the knives for him.

Happy for him to keep the %@#$&!ings in house

Unread 06-11-2020, 07:12 PM
LaPaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlabane
Why would he, in front of all the media outline what exactly he's going to do to change things.

You never hear managers discussing things like this in detail, press conferences are just platitudes / soundbites.

Fergie was famous for bullshitting his way through them and held the press in contempt, and I don't see why Ole shouldn't treat them any different, especially as they are already sharpening the knives for him.

Happy for him to keep the %@#$&!ings in house
I take your point but please don't compare him to Fergie, the Ole out brigard do that constantly and it neither fair or relevant.

What i'm saying is he didn't do himself any favours and again looked like a dead man walking when he could of been a little more bullish.

I agree he shouldn't and doesn't single out individuals #@&%!ly but neither does he give the impression he's in control.

Unread 06-11-2020, 07:32 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPaz
Sorry to say this but he's the manager he's had two days to work out the beginings of a way forward and all he's come up with is the same old soundbites which unfortunately leads me to start to believe he doesn't have an answer or even the start of a strategy that will lead us forward.

The way we conceded the first goal in Turkey has made me reassess how I feel about him continuing as manager.
Working out the beginnings of a way forward would not be expressed in a press conference.

They don’t reflect reality or what is or isn’t happening behind the scenes. They’re a media obligation, not some insight into the workings of the club.

You can get a feeling from them, but we mostly read too much into them.

He speaks like he usually does. When we are in form, out of form and everything in between. He’s not the most articulate and expressive guys at the best of the times.

When the team is this shit, there is little they can say to sort it. That can only happen on the pitch.

Unread 06-11-2020, 07:52 PM
dunk

For the record, City, who had the closest to our ridiculous end of last season/pre-season/start of this season have, at the moment..

Scored 1 more goal than us *edit; sorry, no they haven’t. Both scored 9 in 6.
Been pasted at home in diabolical fashion (with 11 men IIRC)
Played 1 side from last season's top 6
Struggled against shit teams working hard
Have a massive 4 points more than us

I know we're all convinced we and Ole are shit, but there is always the chance that they're still suffering the post/pre-season hangover. City certainly seem to be, the rest look to be calming down a little.. none of the rest are in a constant cloud of hysteria and negativity either...

Unread 06-11-2020, 07:58 PM
LaPaz

Quote:
Working out the beginnings of a way forward would not be expressed in a press conference.

They don’t reflect reality or what is or isn’t happening behind the scenes. They’re a media obligation, not some insight into the workings of the club.

You can get a feeling from them, but we mostly read too much into them.

He speaks like he usually does. When we are in form, out of form and everything in between. He’s not the most articulate and expressive guys at the best of the times.

When the team is this shit, there is little they can say to sort it. That can only happen on the pitch.
No they need a plan as to what they are going to do and not someone who as I've said before looks like a dead man walking.

They need that plan before they det onto the pitch and if he goes into the dressing room looking like he did at the press conference he'll certainly not get the right reaction from the players.

We need leadership and he's not providing it.

Unread 06-11-2020, 08:00 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
For the record, City, who had the closest to our ridiculous end of last season/pre-season/start of this season have, at the moment..

Scored 1 more goal than us
Been pasted at home in diabolical fashion
Played 1 side from last season's top 6
Struggled against shit teams working hard
Have a massive 4 points more than us

I know we're all convinced we and Ole are shit, but there is always the chance that they're still suffering the post/pre-season hangover. City certainly seem to be, the rest look to be calming down a little.. none of the rest are in a constant cloud of hysteria and negativity either...
All fair, but my concern is we’ve shown these sorts of patterns of form lots outside of COVID too.

And we had no problems dealing with it when we restarted last year. In fact, we excelled and many pointed out that it helped us.

City are settling down now. As are Leicester, Arsenal, spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool. All the side you’d expect to be up there. We, however, are still as up and down as any point so far.

Unread 06-11-2020, 08:00 PM
Parlabane

Dunk stop being so objective - get aboard the hysteria train where Ole is sacked Poch is his replacement and all our woes are magically fixed in one fell swoop

Unread 06-11-2020, 08:02 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPaz
No they need a plan as to what they are going to do and not someone who as I've said before looks like a dead man walking.

They need that plan before they det onto the pitch and if he goes into the dressing room looking like he did at the press conference he'll certainly not get the right reaction from the players.
No, I mean that plan can only be recognised on the pitch. Not in a press conference. You seem to working on the assumption that what is said in the press conference is exactly what is happening behind the scenes. It isn’t.

Unread 06-11-2020, 08:03 PM
dunk

Quote:
All fair, but my concern is we’ve shown these sorts of patterns of form lots outside of COVID too.

And we had no problems dealing with it when we restarted last year. In fact, we excelled and many pointed out that it helped us.

City are settling down now. As are Leicester, Arsenal, spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool. All the side you’d expect to be up there. We, however, are still as up and down as any point so far.
In order for us to settle, our last 2 games were Chelsea and Arsenal. We conceded 1 goal, a penalty. Fair to say we were settling, but uninspired?

Wednesday deffo an aberration, no more so than @#%&!ting Leipzig 5-0 though.

We’re still 2-3 weeks behind the rest, so are City.

Agreed about the form, difficult to judge the team from project re-start () onwards though, imo.

The relentless swirling negativity and constant negative coverage is something else ramping up the pressure that the rest just don’t have to deal with.

Unread 06-11-2020, 08:11 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
In order for us to settle, our last 2 games were Chelsea and Arsenal. We conceded 1 goal, a penalty. Fair to say we were settling, but uninspired?

Wednesday deffo an aberration, no more so than @#%&!ting Leipzig 5-0 though.

We’re still 2-3 weeks behind the rest, so are City.

Agreed about the form, difficult to judge the team from project re-start () onwards though, imo.

The relentless swirling negativity and constant negative coverage is something else ramping up the pressure that the rest just don’t have to deal with.
We are nine games into the season, how long are you going to drag this excuse out for. It is piss poor.

And anyone complaining about pressure at Manchester United, should just walk out of the door right now and never return to Old Trafford.

Unread 06-11-2020, 08:14 PM
LaPaz

Quote:
No, I mean that plan can only be recognised on the pitch. Not in a press conference. You seem to working on the assumption that what is said in the press conference is exactly what is happening behind the scenes. It isn’t.
OK so we agree on the main point.

Your second point is wrong as that's not the point i'm trying to make. Obviously you can't take everything that's said in a press conference to be either true or not (how many times have we been told a player isn't fit only for him to play in the match) but the way he was today drains any confidence and even if he's lying through his ar*e he can't be like that and expect to suceed.
Closed Thread