United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-02-2018, 08:14 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
There’s a big shortage of quality centre backs mate.
yet we have FIVE

although obviously Smalling is the opposite of quality

Unread 04-02-2018, 08:18 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
There’s a big shortage of quality centre backs mate. It’s a dying art.

Top six clubs sniffing around Evans is evidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Yep.

Hype built around a genuine lack of quality centre backs.

Somebody has to be the 'top level' defender at a smaller club.... even if they are not that great.

I've seen van Dyke for Southampton. He seemed good for them. Not much more. And they aren't an impressive side.

I was sceptical of Keane when he was linked. Ok for Burnley. Not much more.

Look at Evans for West Brom. Average at a big club....obviously better for a smaller one and suddenly he's good enough for a top club again

I can understand the Evans thing. Thought Arsenal might have gone for him. Not exceptional but he can play at that level, good pro, would be easy to shift on if it does not work out, decent stopgap until someone is identified.

I can see Maguire going for a similar fee at the end of the season. Lovely passer of a ball and makes those eye catching runs forward but not a good enough defender for a top club imo.

Unread 04-02-2018, 08:18 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
yet we have FIVE

although obviously Smalling is the opposite of quality
That is the key word in the sentence you quoted.

Unread 04-02-2018, 08:21 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
That is the key word in the sentence you quoted.
tbh I think Jones is alright and better than most of the centre-halves in the Premier League

If Bailly can ever stay fit he's a quality defender as is Rojo and Lindelof has plenty of promise

Unread 04-02-2018, 08:23 PM
andyroo

Quote:
tbh I think Jones is alright and better than most of the centre-halves in the Premier League

If Bailly can ever stay fit he's a quality defender as is Rojo and Lindelof has plenty of promise
I don't hate Jones, though I'm a bit annoyed about the other night. I think we £#%&!ed him around a bit early in his career though and we're paying.

Bailly has his strengths and weaknesses. Rojo terrifies me. Lindelöf... well, he needed a better start, let's put it that way. Still could come good.

Unread 04-02-2018, 08:26 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
I don't hate Jones, though I'm a bit annoyed about the other night. I think we f***ed him around a bit early in his career though and we're paying.

Bailly has his strengths and weaknesses. Rojo terrifies me. Lindelöf... well, he needed a better start, let's put it that way. Still could come good.
Jones certainly had a caust the other night...Smalling was worse

Rojo's a nutter and a decent player I like him...Lindelof will come good still very young in terms of central defender but I would like to see him playing more although when Bailly returns it's any 2 from 5......

Unread 04-02-2018, 08:34 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
I can understand the Evans thing. Thought Arsenal might have gone for him. Not exceptional but he can play at that level, good pro, would be easy to shift on if it does not work out, decent stopgap until someone is identified.

I can see Maguire going for a similar fee at the end of the season. Lovely passer of a ball and makes those eye catching runs forward but not a good enough defender for a top club imo.
It's more the perception

Pundits saying what a top player he is now when he was a name in a list of weaknesses when he was at United.

Unread 04-02-2018, 08:40 PM
dunk

Quote:

Think they had a sniff but wanted him for peanuts

I like that Maguire, stood out a mile for Hull in the League Cup Semi’s last year and for Leicester when I’ve seen them.

Unread 04-02-2018, 08:40 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
It's more the perception

Pundits saying what a top player he is now when he was a name in a list of weaknesses when he was at United.
Yes, tough job playing CB for a top club. Jones has had an excellent season, been one of the best in the league but one poor game and the narrative is back to him being a liability we have to shift. Good luck if he picks up an injury soon.

Still more annoyed with the midfield for the Spurs game, Pogba especially with his immaturity.

Unread 04-02-2018, 09:12 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Think they had a sniff but wanted him for peanuts

I like that Maguire, stood out a mile for Hull in the League Cup Semi’s last year and for Leicester when I’ve seen them.
He looks ungainly but deceptively tenacious. Expect him to get an England call-up sooner or later and it'll destroy him.

Evans is great in theory but terrible in practice. Good ball player but seems to resent the presence of other players on the pitch getting in his way. That "effort" vs Milton Keynes for crying out loud.

Unread 04-02-2018, 09:30 PM
Mr Kaboom

Quote:
He looks ungainly but deceptively tenacious. Expect him to get an England call-up sooner or later and it'll destroy him.

Evans is great in theory but terrible in practice. Good ball player but seems to resent the presence of other players on the pitch getting in his way. That "effort" vs Milton Keynes for crying out loud.
He's got 3 caps already mate

Unread 04-02-2018, 09:38 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kaboom
He's got 3 caps already mate

Unread 04-02-2018, 09:40 PM
andyroo

Yeah but like friendlies against Switzerland or something. Not like he's had everyone on his back after you go out of a World Cup.

Though I guess he'd have to be a United player for that to happen.

Unread 04-02-2018, 09:41 PM
saffers

Always said he was hype.

Unread 04-02-2018, 11:18 PM
utd99

Quote:
Yes, tough job playing CB for a top club. Jones has had an excellent season, been one of the best in the league but one poor game and the narrative is back to him being a liability we have to shift. Good luck if he picks up an injury soon.

Still more annoyed with the midfield for the Spurs game, Pogba especially with his immaturity.
Two. He was horrendous against Stoke too.

Jones is good, but you have to decide if you want a centre back who has two or three ‘mares a season and is injured for a third to half the year. I’d say third man in a four man rotation is his mark.

Unread 04-02-2018, 11:48 PM
taff

Quote:
Found the whole Van Dyjk saga odd. Turned into this hot property and compared to Rio joining Utd. Ferdinand had just been one of the outstanding defenders at a WC and part of a Leeds team who had gone to the SF of the CL.

Success at pub level in Scotland and mid table PL play. What created this hype around VVD?
city had a sniff, his price jumped and everyone based his attributes on that rather than the other way around.

been a hype train coming out of southampton in recent years too; most of them have been distinctly second-rate.

Unread 05-02-2018, 12:19 AM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff

been a hype train coming out of southampton in recent years too; most of them have been distinctly second-rate.
ahem.....

tbf to Shaw he loooks to have turned it around this season and needs to stay in the team but I noticed angry Jose screaming at him a few times in the second half yesterday

Unread 05-02-2018, 01:04 AM
sa7

Quote:
ahem.....

tbf to Shaw he loooks to have turned it around this season and needs to stay in the team but I noticed angry Jose screaming at him a few times in the second half yesterday
Probably pining for Ashley “Right Foot” Young to be back shit@#%&!ing his way up and down the touch line.

Unread 05-02-2018, 09:36 AM
sub three hours

Quote:
ahem.....

I saw that too and it does make you wonder if Jose has any positive long term plans for him. It seems like Shaw only gets a game when all other options in that area are injured.

Perhaps he wants him to go, but hasn't got the bottle to tell him directly.

Unread 05-02-2018, 11:23 AM
forwardirektion

Quote:
ahem.....

It was when he was walking to take throw ins in the second half.

Think he wanted to keep the intensity up
Closed Thread