United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-01-2017, 06:09 PM
MJ Ramone

Football Rooney Legend. Greatest Goalscorer in Clubs History. Fact.

Unread 21-01-2017, 06:12 PM
red in cumbria

ANOTHER thread

Still, this is a day you have long waited for. And it is worth celebrating, even if he is now past his best.

Congratulations, Wazza

Unread 21-01-2017, 06:16 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
ANOTHER thread

Still, this is a day you have long waited for. And it is worth celebrating, even if he is now past his best.

Congratulations, Wazza
totally uncalled for Ned.
This is a thread about a player who has scored more goals for Man United than anybody else.

When Sir Bobby reached 249 he was past his best too.

It's a brilliant achievement.

Unread 21-01-2017, 06:17 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
This is a thread about a player who has scored more goals for Man United than anybody else.

Really didn't mean it like that, pal. More that it puts the recent complaining into perspective.

He has been a fantastic player for us, nqat.

Unread 21-01-2017, 06:17 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:

When they say "I'd rather have sir bobby back...."

Unread 21-01-2017, 06:19 PM
andyroo

Giffed yet?

Unread 21-01-2017, 06:19 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

When they say "I'd rather have sir bobby back...."
Has he ever gone away? Like a creaky floorboard is sir Bobby

Unread 21-01-2017, 06:21 PM
Jethro

Don't think anyone is debating it, pal.

Unread 21-01-2017, 06:31 PM
Denis Irwell

Could do with another Rooney thread

Unread 21-01-2017, 06:32 PM
ziggyman17

with his ability and the way he burst on the scene, I thought he would have broken the record by the time he was 25 not 31,

Unread 21-01-2017, 06:44 PM
Tiberian

Where does he rank now? The problem with longevity can be that sometimes fans lose sight of how good a player was at their prime, not many can have that Cantona style arc, where we got his best years, he had matured as a pro, in his prime and retired before his decline became obvious.

Is Rooney a top 10 Utd player now? Best, Charlton, Law, Ronaldo, Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Robson, would not have him ahead of any of those but might be in the next tier?

Unread 21-01-2017, 06:50 PM
ziggyman17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Where does he rank now? The problem with longevity can be that sometimes fans lose sight of how good a player was at their prime, not many can have that Cantona style arc, where we got his best years, he had matured as a pro, in his prime and retired before his decline became obvious.

Is Rooney a top 10 Utd player now? Best, Charlton, Law, Ronaldo, Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Robson, would not have him ahead of any of those but might be in the next tier?
something about him pissing off to spend the best years of his career does not sit well with me and for that I would not have him in my top ten.......

Unread 21-01-2017, 06:53 PM
ZiggyStardust

Great achievement which makes him the top scorer in our history but doesn't necessarily make him the greatest

Unread 21-01-2017, 06:53 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
something about him pissing off to spend the best years of his career does not sit well with me and for that I would not have him in my top ten.......
I see where you are coming from. But for those few years, he was as good as any player for us has ever been.

Unread 21-01-2017, 06:54 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:

undoubtedly.

You (I don't mean you) can't question Rooneys inclusion because of a clumsy but hastily withdrawn transfer request yet have Ronaldo in there who couldn't wait to leave once he'd added consistency to his talent.
Keano messed the Club about over contracts too & was very close to leaving.

Rooney has to be in the top 10, not just for his goals but for his overall contribution over 12 years.

Unread 21-01-2017, 06:58 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
Yes, but best player in the world at a stage during his spell at Utd and the key player of perhaps our best ever team, or squad between 06-09.

Still think that purely aesthetically, the most fun Ronaldo to watch was the 06/07 version before the focus on goals as a means to match Messi.

Unread 21-01-2017, 06:59 PM
browser

Default Ye

He'd be in my all time united squad but wouldn't start. If we start talking logistics of a workable squad then I'd drop him for Ole, as he offers very little from the bench. It's certainly to his detriment that at his best he was selfless but it's a vastly underrated quality, in his best years for united he sacrificed his best qualities. During his peak years he was the complete footballer on a worldie level, to be the best however, you cannot yield. Imagine Eric as a winger

Quote:
undoubtedly.

You (I don't mean you) can't question Rooneys inclusion because of a clumsy but hastily withdrawn transfer request yet have Ronaldo in there who couldn't wait to leave once he'd added consistency to his talent.
Keano messed the Club about over contracts too & was very close to leaving.

Rooney has to be in the top 10, not just for his goals but for his overall contribution over 12 years.
We won things because of those players. Rooney always played a supporting role for me, the one champs league final he turned up in..we lost

Unread 21-01-2017, 07:03 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

no.

does rooney get in the best XI? even on the bench?

longevity has brought him a few individual records and allowed him to leave his mark on united forever. but his last 5 or 6 years has been a let down overall and we're only just beginning to work around it let alone get past it...

as far as the op goes, he's the highest goalscorer in united's history, but he's not the greatest goalscorer i've ever seen at united (and i didn't see best, law or charlton for starters).

Unread 21-01-2017, 07:17 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
no.

does rooney get in the best XI? even on the bench?

longevity has brought him a few individual records and allowed him to leave his mark on united forever. but his last 5 or 6 years has been a let down overall and we're only just beginning to work around it let alone get past it...

as far as the op goes, he's the highest goalscorer in united's history, but he's not the greatest goalscorer i've ever seen at united (and i didn't see best, law or charlton for starters).
Yes, much in his game has frustrated me over the years, and I would have been happy if we had moved him 2/3 years ago. As you say, this is the first season in a long time when he has not been the/a key figure in the team, Utd needed that refresh of the attack.

I do think he is a hard one to rank, he has always been more that just a goalscorer, his team ethic has always been impressive, the achievements are there. Certainly has not aged as gracefully as Scholes and Giggs who were still among the best in the league at 35, 36, 37.

Unread 21-01-2017, 07:18 PM
TheFatGoth

Closed Thread