United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-09-2012, 05:15 PM
utd99

Default The renaming of Old Trafford.

Changed the thread name because it morphed from Premier league FFP into a subject that I feel is far more important to our club.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think this travesty is becoming increasingly inevitable. I don't know about you lot but it will change the way I feel about the club I have supported since I was a boy.

Unread 05-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Switching Off

Whelan is spot on about City shaking us up. If the top clubs cared so much about the survival of everyone, they'd be filtering more money down the leagues, rather than forcing unfair and immoral regulations on them through threats of withdrawing financial support.

Bunch of @#%&!s.

Unread 05-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Tumescent Throb

supporters and football media types may pay lip service to some mythical moral duty to protect teams down through the pyramid, and yet far from the traditional method of trickle down being welcomed, huge mark-ups on english players moving between english teams are ridiculed and slated these days

Unread 05-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Whelan is spot on about City shaking us up. If the top clubs cared so much about the survival of everyone, they'd be filtering more money down the leagues, rather than forcing unfair and immoral regulations on them through threats of withdrawing financial support.

Bunch of @#%&!s.
considering every lower division team we've ever played - i'd like to say '£#%&! them'.

Unread 05-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
considering every lower division team we've ever played - i'd like to say '£#%&! them'.

Unread 05-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
supporters and football media types may pay lip service to some mythical moral duty to protect teams down through the pyramid, and yet far from the traditional method of trickle down being welcomed, huge mark-ups on english players moving between english teams are ridiculed and slated these days
Fair point about the transfer fees but the PL clubs are practically holding them to ransom, threatening to withold current TV revenues if they don't sign up to ridiculous rules about paying for their talent.

Unread 05-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Fair point about the transfer fees but the PL clubs are practically holding them to ransom, threatening to withold current TV revenues if they don't sign up to ridiculous rules about paying for their talent.
not aware of that tbh.

what talent? what revenues?

take it that's separate from the FL TV deal?

fill me in switch

Unread 05-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
not aware of that tbh.

what talent? what revenues?

take it that's separate from the FL TV deal?

fill me in switch
Just been trying to find a link. I cant remember the ins and outs but they made all lower league clubs sign up to a deal where a Premier League team can buy a homegrown league player and only pay compensation. They threatened to cut off the trickle down TV money if they didnt all sign up. Think it was voted through by around 80% of league clubs.

Happened earlier this year, didnt get much coverage, unsurprisingly

Unread 05-09-2012, 06:07 PM
utd99

This mad dash to optimize revenues will lead to the renaming of Old Trafford. There is no way that the Glazers are going to sit on that untapped income source forever.

Probably the only thing that has stopped them thus far is the fear of supporter backlash, but now they have shareholder interest to cite along with the imminent restrictions of FFP. They don't give a £#%&! about our history, they just needed the justification.

Unread 05-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Switching Off

Here you go, I got some key parts wrong

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/15381652

Still, it's just the way they bully smaller clubs into whatever they want.

Unread 05-09-2012, 07:22 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
This mad dash to optimize revenues will lead to the renaming of Old Trafford. There is no way that the Glazers are going to sit on that untapped income source forever.

Probably the only thing that has stopped them thus far is the fear of supporter backlash, but now they have shareholder interest to cite along with the imminent restrictions of FFP. They don't give a £#%&! about our history, they just needed the justification.
i'd be very surprised if they haven't already sounded out the idea with potential sponsors. if the response was positive and the amount was enough they wouldn't hesitate imo.

Unread 05-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Switching Off

Nobody would ever refer to it as anything other than Old Trafford, and as much as we moan about the media bias against United (sometimes justified, other times completely justified) Sky and MOTD would refer to it as Old Trafford too.

Unread 05-09-2012, 09:02 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Nobody would ever refer to it as anything other than Old Trafford, and as much as we moan about the media bias against United (sometimes justified, other times completely justified) Sky and MOTD would refer to it as Old Trafford too.
name changes are written into contracts and the media are obliged to follow them

Unread 05-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Not so sure. The football media have almost openly mocked the Sports Direct Arena, and most refer to it as that ironically, or as St James Park.
Really? Have to admit I've not thought to listen. Usually switch the sound off through the MOTD waffling anyway

Unread 05-09-2012, 09:16 PM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99

Unread 05-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Really? Have to admit I've not thought to listen. Usually switch the sound off through the MOTD waffling anyway
Well that's the impression ive always got, but not been particularly listening for it.

Unread 05-09-2012, 09:46 PM
evianfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
i'm alright jack. aren't you the one who cries on here at the apathy of those that still attend old trafford?

Unread 05-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by evianfree
i'm alright jack. aren't you the one who cries on here at the apathy of those that still attend old trafford?
You think these £#%&!ing other teams would be crying if manchester United were going to the wall, which isn't an impossibility given our current ownership?

No, they'd all be lining up to get their digs in and giving it the old 'USA, USA' chant.

Is football fair? no. Is it horribly slanted to favour a few big teams? yes. But if i sound uncaring it's only because it's the way the rest of english football has made me after 20 years of their swivel eyed bitterness and irrational hatred of us.

We're always held up as the demons of modern football, like the quintessential example of what happens when a football club becomes an awful corporate monster..booo hiss! horrible man utd, they're everything that's wrong with football (even though we're all trying our %@#$&!s off to emulate them by hook or by crook.)

A local football team going bust is no good thing but they'd all be dancing on our grave if it was the other way around. So yeah we are alright jack for the time being so £#%&! them.

Unread 05-09-2012, 11:00 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
I woudn't be so dismissive. The campaign against the Glazers may not have to weight to hurt them right now, but if they attempt to sell off our history I think the tide will really turn. Our history may mean nothing to them but it certainly means a lot to us.

Edit: Also be interesting to see which of the current lot sucking on the tit, who constantly remind us of how much they cherish our glorious history would have to %@#$&!s to oppose it.

Step forward Mssrs Charlton, Ferguson and Crerand, among others

Unread 05-09-2012, 11:03 PM
thenorthwillriseagain

heard someone say the capital one cup for the first time the other day
didn't miss a beat

league cup in case you didn't know
Closed Thread