United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-07-2012, 04:02 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
No it isn't. We haven't got the money to play those games anyway but to fall into the trap of signing people in case somebody else does is a horrible modern football idea and ultimately self defeating.
Well I certainly wouldn't advocate buying someone just because a rival is trying to, and I'm not advocating buying Van Persie. To be honest, I don't know whether it would be a good investment given his age and injury record, but he is a good player and would improve our team so on that basis alone the question should be asked.

And we do have the money. Whether Fergie is inclined or permitted to spend it is another matter.

Unread 05-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Well I certainly wouldn't advocate buying someone just because a rival is trying to, and I'm not advocating buying Van Persie. To be honest, I don't know whether it would be a good investment given his age and injury record, but he is a good player and would improve our team so on that basis alone the question should be asked.

And we do have the money. Whether Fergie is inclined or permitted to spend it is another matter.
Which is why the glazers are scraping around the states looking for someone to sub them 60 million...

Unread 05-07-2012, 04:05 PM
utd99

Also unless Van Persie's agent is Darren Lamb, he will also be aware that his client could earn more off field revenue as a Manchester United player than a City one.

Unread 05-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Also unless Van Persie's agent is Darren Lamb, he will also be aware that his client could earn more off field revenue as a Manchester United player than a City one.
Not as much of a signing on fee though...

Unread 05-07-2012, 04:06 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
Which is why the glazers are scraping around the states looking for someone to sub them 60 million...
You think the floatation will be undersubscribed then?

Unread 05-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:

Jesus...

We may as well do a Stretord end banner then, what times he land at ring way....£#%&!ing carrot cake shopping chorlton, £#%&! it....

Unread 05-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Baron

Would you sell Nani for £25m to buy van Persie?

Unread 05-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Jerry the Berry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon

No

Unread 05-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
In a £#%&!ing heartbeat.....

Unread 05-07-2012, 04:19 PM
dunk

Quote:
Hell No.

Unread 05-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Agent Dale Cooper

No, but I'd sell Ashley Young.

Unread 05-07-2012, 04:21 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry the Berry
No
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
In a £#%&!ing heartbeat.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Hell No.

30-15

Unread 05-07-2012, 04:37 PM
borsuk

Quote:
no

Unread 05-07-2012, 04:44 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
no
Which is of course not to imply that Nani doesn't have to improve both his decision making and consistency of performance to align with his athleticism and technique.

Unread 05-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
no
It's the only way we could afford it, so just throwing it out there. I know Nani has his detractors on here. & seeing as he's been touted for a move in the press, & Big Tone has taken on the 7 you'd think he'd be taking the right wing spot that Nani really flourishes on. A front three of van Persie, Rooney & Valencia is quite tasty, Carrick, Kagawa & 1 other behind...

Unread 05-07-2012, 04:46 PM
The Watcher

This is hilarious

Unread 05-07-2012, 04:47 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Hell No.
No. However, if Berbs and Anderson were moved on and together with Owen's departure funded most of the cost, now that would be a much easier sell.

Unread 05-07-2012, 04:53 PM
dunk

Quote:
No. However, if Berbs and Anderson were moved on and together with Owen's departure funded most of the cost, now that would be a much easier sell.
Still rather a midfielder than someone that is going to take playing time away from Welbeck...

I'd rather Hames or someone left footed that can play on the left too. RvP is a No. 9 these days, of which we have 3.

We need to replace OG too...

Unread 05-07-2012, 04:58 PM
borsuk

Quote:
It's the only way we could afford it, so just throwing it out there. I know Nani has his detractors on here. & seeing as he's been touted for a move in the press, & Big Tone has taken on the 7 you'd think he'd be taking the right wing spot that Nani really flourishes on. A front three of van Persie, Rooney & Valencia is quite tasty, Carrick, Kagawa & 1 other behind...
that's what i was getting at when i said rvp would make sense only as a replacement for rooney. first because rvp is most effective centrally, not wide, and second because it would inevitably means the relegation of welbeck to a bit-part player when he is on the verge of developing into a special talent and should not be held back. given rvp's age (2 years older than rooney) and injury record we'd have to be bonkers to take him in place of rooney, unless rooney wants out, as i said.

if we strengthen the midfield this summer and have kagawa playing in his most effective position (no 10 behind a sole striker) then it will be quite intriguing to see how much pressure welbeck starts to put on rooney. there was no question which of them was the better player at the euros. rooney needs to find some decent form.

Unread 05-07-2012, 06:38 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Not unless we sign a midfielder first.
Closed Thread