United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Whalefish

Just what I've read, scouts posted regularly at their matches. Serious interest etc.

Not sure if they're any good though. I wouldn't be surprised if a younger striker and someone like Eidur arrives in the Summer. However I would like Rossi to be that younger striker.

I'd be quite happy with Saha, Wayne, Eidur and Rossi as our four options. Ole coming in for the odd match perhaps?

Unread 23-03-2007, 03:38 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Just what I've read, scouts posted regularly at their matches. Serious interest etc.

Not sure if they're any good though. I wouldn't be surprised if a younger striker and someone like Eidur arrives in the Summer. However I would like Rossi to be that younger striker.

I'd be quite happy with Saha, Wayne, Eidur and Rossi as our four options. Ole coming in for the odd match perhaps?

Ole before Smith Whales ?

Unread 23-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr Leavesey
Ole before Smith Whales ?
I don't rate Smith tbh and wouldn't have any complaints if he left. Sorry.

As for Ole, it was tagged on at the end tbh. I've said elsewhere I won't be surprised if he hangs up his boots soon. Still think he's done remarkably well this season though. 20 odd games and 10 goals. Can't complain.

Unread 23-03-2007, 03:52 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
I don't rate Smith tbh and wouldn't have any complaints if he left. Sorry.

As for Ole, it was tagged on at the end tbh. I've said elsewhere I won't be surprised if he hangs up his boots soon. Still think he's done remarkably well this season though. 20 odd games and 10 goals. Can't complain.
I only mentioned it because Oles days are numbered and Smith is relatively young.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if Smith was sold too - In fact he's probably the best option - Not needed in the squad but would get a sizeable fee I reckon (£5m ?)

Unread 23-03-2007, 03:53 PM
S/Side.Red

This Gudjohnsen stuff has got agents' work written all over it.

Barca are planning a bit of an overhaul of squad players in the summer and I'd be very surprised if he wasn't one of them. He's not particularly popular in the dressing room over there after his comments following the Liverpool game and he has only had an average impact this season.

I suspect Barca want him shipped out and his agent is trying to create a buzz ahead of the summer.

Agree with Serenity about him. Decent technique doesn't make up for the fact that he's too slow, too lazy and doesn't score enough goals.

Unread 23-03-2007, 03:57 PM
MUFC One Love

Rhodzy, you're thinking with your heart, not your head, sadly. You like Rossi and you're convincing yourself he'll be here, he won't, I fully expect him to be sold this summer, along with Pique.

Unread 23-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Rhodzy, you're thinking with your heart, not your head, sadly. You like Rossi and you're convincing yourself he'll be here, he won't, I fully expect him to be sold this summer, along with Pique.
Why do you think he'll be sold?

Unread 23-03-2007, 04:06 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodzy
Why do you think he'll be sold?
It's just quite clear he will IMO. He's been loaned out all over the show and even when we've been stuck for strikers we've still loaned him out. He's too small IMO , he doesn't have the pace to make up for his size. He's suited to the Italian game. If he was as talented as it gets made out he would have been at least making some sub appearances. He's what, 20 now? I just can't see him coming back and being part of our squad getting chances to play.

Unread 23-03-2007, 04:09 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
It's just quite clear he will IMO. He's been loaned out all over the show and even when we've been stuck for strikers we've still loaned him out. He's too small IMO , he doesn't have the pace to make up for his pace. He's suited to the Italian game. If he was as talented as it gets made out he would have been at least making some sub appearances. He's what, 20 now? I just can't see him coming back and being part of our squad getting chances to play.
Agreed.

To the quote in bold -

Let's face it though - You're right. Rossi will make it big in Italy or Spain even, but over here ? Nah, not in my opinion.

Unread 23-03-2007, 04:13 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Agreed.

To the quote in bold -

Let's face it though - You're right. Rossi will make it big in Italy or Spain even, but over here ? Nah, not in my opinion.
Edited.

Unread 23-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Agreed.

To the quote in bold -

Rossi has great accelaration.
Rossi can make it here, hes small, so is Scholes, so was Zola, didn't stop them from not making it, he has terrific technique, a great footballing brain and hes the best finisher at the club. (Said by many of the players)
People say we don't have money, why let a striker go when we are desperately short upfront and don't have the money to replace him.
Not everybodys a Rooney, some aren't going to make a big impact at 16 like he did.

Unread 23-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Whalefish

You lost me when he said he didn't have the pace tbh. Unless it's a different Rossi I don't remember him being slow.

And since when did pace guarantee you'd make it in the Premiership?

Fergie mentioned earlier in the season he wanted Rossi to go on loan for 12months to aid his development. For all his faults, I doubt he'd have changed his mind due to the odd injury. Moreover our recent stiking problems came after the window closed and the lad was loaned to Parma - following Henriks arrival.

Relying on a more experienced striker, or experienced players, during the second half of the season (and now the closing stages) is no surprise. Chucking Rossi in at the deep end, when every match is a must win, could potentially do more harm than good.

The old cliche that if he's good enough, he'll get games doesn't quite work for me I'm afraid. It doesn't always work like that. We'll soon see anyway. I hope he gets a chance in all fairness he's not had one yet.

Unread 23-03-2007, 04:22 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Rossi can make it here, hes small, so is Scholes, so was Zola, didn't stop them from not making it, he has terrific technique, a great footballing brain and hes the best finisher at the club. (Said by many of the players)
People say we don't have money, why let a striker go when we are desperately short upfront and don't have the money to replace him.
Not everybodys a Rooney, some aren't going to make a big impact at 16 like he did.
With all due respect, he's no where near Zola or Scholes' class. If he was going to be a big hit here, he would be at least in the squad. He's like there's no thinking behind his loan moves, he's just been palmed off, from Newcastle to Parma, doesn't make sense. He won't make it here and he'll be shifted for about 2 mil this summer.

Unread 23-03-2007, 04:23 PM
MUFC One Love

Look, I'm not anti-Rossi, I have nothing against him, but with the lack of players making at the club now, I just can't see Rossi making it. I'd put a lot of money on him not making it here.

Unread 23-03-2007, 04:26 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:

That's a decent arguement.

But to that I would say Michael Owen wouldn't have made it if not for his blinding pace - I mention that because I think they're fairly similar players.

And accleration and pace are two different things entirely - Don't you play Football Manager ?

Unread 23-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
With all due respect, he's no where near Zola or Scholes' class. If he was going to be a big hit here, he would be at least in the squad. He's like there's no thinking behind his loan moves, he's just been palmed off, from Newcastle to Parma, doesn't make sense. He won't make it here and he'll be shifted for about 2 mil this summer.
Again, not quite true. Fergie was quite firm in his belief that the lad needed 12months regular football. Just as he was re Foster when he first arrived - needed at least 2 years playing regular football at a higher level.

Sitting on the bench for Utd (and he would be at this stage of the season) isn't going to help.

The same will - IMO - apply to Evans. He'll get another 12months at another club. Possibly higher than Sunderland too.

Just because they're loaned out don't assume they're going to be binned. The standard of reserve team football nowadays is pretty poor and higher level football elsewhere is a necessity IMO.

Unread 23-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
I'm not saying he is, i'm saying they are both small too.
Rossi is not like Owen, his technique is much better than Owens.
Evans has been shipped out on loan, it doesn't mean we are going to sell him does it.

Unread 23-03-2007, 04:32 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Rossi is not like Owen, his technique is much better than Owens.
That doesn't mean they're not similar.

Unread 23-03-2007, 04:35 PM
MUFC One Love

Yeah but Whaley, how many do make it now? It isn't many and I can't see it changing anytime soon. Gibson has impressed me, as has Evans. Gibson HAS to be given games in the first team he has the lot.

Unread 23-03-2007, 04:37 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
He's like there's no thinking behind his loan moves, he's just been palmed off, from Newcastle to Parma, doesn't make sense.
Just because he's not ready now, it doesn't mean he never will be. Enough people in the game (including several in Italy) have said he has the talent to go a long way.

Fergie/United decided that a season in the Premiership, with Newcastle, playing infront of big crowds for a decent side would be a far better idea than just a game here and there at United and a another season in the reserves.

It didn't work out; Roeder is an idiot. So we got him back. We may have been willing to keep him here in the event that we needed another striker, but when Parma came in and said they would give him a half-season in Serie A as a first choice with Uefa Cup football and a high-pressure situation (they are in deep trouble relegation-wise) I think it was an excellent opportunity.

If United didn't care about Rossi or treated his future with the distain of "palming him off" they would have let him stay at Newcastle. I think they are desperate to give him the football he desperately needs, which he is getting at Parma.
Closed Thread