United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-03-2007, 01:12 PM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
wonks, not read this as been busy but how did it get up to circa 120 replies?
Arguments, heated debates, name calling all mixed in with some Glazer bashing.

It's a joyus thread packed with fun and angst.......

Unread 24-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
You mean who have United signed since 2005? Vidic, Evra, Carrick, Nutsack and Larsson have arrived. Larsson's loan has ended and he's gone away again. Nutsack's loan is set to be made permanent in the summer.

Without wishing to get involved in this debate too heavily, this is the answer to your question. You could also argue that they have invested heavily in the team by ridding it of the burden of some deadwood.

Of course, I understand your point is not about how much they've invested in the team at all, but about what is the net transfer spend on the first team since they arrived. Sorry, but that's old ground and, to me anyway, fairly irrelevant at this stage.

edit: oh aye, and VDS and Park
how is it possibly irrelevant? it's the very essence of what we're arguing about

Unread 24-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
how is it possibly irrelevant? it's the very essence of what we're arguing about
It's the essence of the argument you're stuck on. But it's not the essence of creating a top class squad.

As i said before, supposing we buy no-one, bring through some of our brilliant kids, and sell some of the deadwood, then where would that sit within your net spend parameters? The answer is that it's a scenario that would blow the net spend argument out of the water and show it up for the political device that it is because bringing through the youth would represent the very essence of Manchester United.

Apparently, there is a "warchest", and apparently this is a direct quote from Gill (was it?) Don't know or care about either of these points tbh cus I rarely read the press and even more rarely hang off every word people spout forth via the media.

You're obviously convinced that unless £25m or whatever is spent every season over and above all out-goings* then either 1/ United will crash and burn for not spending it as we are so crap, or 2/ United will crash and burn because it clearly proves we can't afford to spend it, and therefore the pledge is merely part of some horrible charade.

Personally, I thought all the mocking of the warchest was a bit of fun, and that those who actually did add up all the outs and knocked it off all the ins (especially those who included Mikel!) as a deliberate attempt to make their case about United's finances were just fantasists stranded somewhere between Games Hell and Fanzine Land.

edit: *fees raised by out-going transfers, just to clarify

Unread 26-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
It's the essence of the argument you're stuck on. But it's not the essence of creating a top class squad.

As i said before, supposing we buy no-one, bring through some of our brilliant kids, and sell some of the deadwood, then where would that sit within your net spend parameters? The answer is that it's a scenario that would blow the net spend argument out of the water and show it up for the political device that it is because bringing through the youth would represent the very essence of Manchester United.

Apparently, there is a "warchest", and apparently this is a direct quote from Gill (was it?) Don't know or care about either of these points tbh cus I rarely read the press and even more rarely hang off every word people spout forth via the media.

You're obviously convinced that unless £25m or whatever is spent every season over and above all out-goings* then either 1/ United will crash and burn for not spending it as we are so crap, or 2/ United will crash and burn because it clearly proves we can't afford to spend it, and therefore the pledge is merely part of some horrible charade.

Personally, I thought all the mocking of the warchest was a bit of fun, and that those who actually did add up all the outs and knocked it off all the ins (especially those who included Mikel!) as a deliberate attempt to make their case about United's finances were just fantasists stranded somewhere between Games Hell and Fanzine Land.

edit: *fees raised by out-going transfers, just to clarify
we've spent nothing. i just wish they wouldn't come out with such shit
Closed Thread