United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-12-2009, 12:25 AM
Sloppy

Default New deals for Giggs and Scholes

Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed that Manchester United are set to offer new contracts to Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes.
The veteran duo have become part of the furniture at Old Trafford over the years, having spent their entire careers to date with the Red Devils.
They are now set to be offered the opportunity to prolong their association with the club even further by penning fresh terms.
Giggs, the reigning PFA Player of the Year and latest member of the Premier League 100-goals club, will be rewarded for a number of performances which belie his years.
Scholes, who is also entering the twilight of his distinguished career, will also be awarded a new deal despite passing his 35th birthday.
Ferguson is convinced that the pair can still do a job at the highest level and is determined to tie them down for a further 12 months.
"Ryan will be offered a new contract for next season, which is an indication of what we think of him coming up to 37 next season, and Paul knows he will be offered one as well," Ferguson said.
Both Giggs and Scholes have seen their first-team opportunities limited of late in an effort to save their ageing legs for the games that matter most.
Ferguson, though, continues to be amazed by the level of performance they put in and believes they are capable of going on for some time yet.
Humility

"Ryan is an example to young people," said Ferguson.
"He has humility and he has never changed and I think he is having his best years now.
"He has retained that amazing quality in his game and also an enthusiasm to play."
He added: "I spoke to Paul and he said he didn't actually say he was thinking of his future.
"When you get to that age every player starts to think about what the future holds for him.
"But when you see Paul's performances at West Ham and in Wolfsburg last week there is no reason to think he can't do it again next year again.
"Maybe he thinks he should be playing every game. That's fine, but I know that's not fair.
"We want the quality. We want to see Scholes perform like he did on Tuesday and the best way of doing that is to gauge the games we know he is going to dominate."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...765829,00.html

Unread 12-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Switching Off

Default Re: New deals for Giggs and Scholes

They'll keep getting deals as long as they want them. So they should too.

Unread 12-12-2009, 12:31 AM
Sloppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
They'll keep getting deals as long as they want them. So they should too.
Will be a sad day when these 2 retire.

Unread 12-12-2009, 12:32 AM
History

I think because giggs, had so much pace when he was younger, and now has the football brain. He's just like a normal 30 year old. give him a 3 year contract

Unread 12-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Dont think Giggs will ever retire tbf. Can picture him bombing down the wing with grey hair, making Carragher's son look like a #@&%!.

Unread 12-12-2009, 12:35 AM
Sloppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Dont think Giggs will ever retire tbf. Can picture him bombing down the wing with grey hair, making Carragher's son look like a #@&%!.
Hes already got grey hair.

Unread 12-12-2009, 12:43 AM
Switching Off

Quote:
Hes already got grey hair.
Well all of it then. He'll still be match fit at 40.

Unread 12-12-2009, 01:23 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Quite possibly, when Fergie does - hell of a double whammy

Unread 12-12-2009, 01:25 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Quite possibly, when Fergie does - hell of a double whammy
er, surely that's a triple whammy

Unread 12-12-2009, 01:26 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
er, surely that's a triple whammy
U know what I mean, O pedantic one

Unread 12-12-2009, 01:28 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
U know what I mean, O pedantic one

Unread 12-12-2009, 02:02 AM
Camel

some might say it's because we've got no cash for new signings. those two must be on pretty hefty wages tho. if the club was that far in the shite already they'd be allowed to leave 'by mutual consent', surely?

fwiw, i think they have plenty to offer for the next season or two. but both should be rested for more games than they start.

Unread 12-12-2009, 02:04 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel
some might say it's because we've got no cash for new signings
"Some" people might indeed say that, but if so they are #@&%!s whose opinions aren't worth taking seriously

Unread 12-12-2009, 02:10 AM
Arnold Muhren

I see Scholes doing another year, two tops.

Giggs though, in his new role I can see him going as long as Sheringham easy. 1000 appearances anyone? He's a month younger than me and I can't run upstairs without being out of breath. What a legend and what a £#%&!ing career.

Unread 12-12-2009, 02:18 AM
Camel

Quote:
"Some" people might indeed say that, but if so they are #@&%!s whose opinions aren't worth taking seriously
pre-emptive strike

Unread 12-12-2009, 02:38 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Yeah, people who say we have no money for signings are clearly #@&%!s. I mean come on it's clear there are no problems at all at United financially.

Unread 12-12-2009, 11:34 AM
red in cumbria

Yawn. Read the messages properly - we all know about the debt, mate

To repeat - anybody saying we are extending these two players contracts because we "have no money" is a know-nothing #@&%!.

Hth helps

Unread 18-12-2009, 12:30 PM
toseeunited

Thumbs up Giggsy has signed a one year extension

SSN now

Unread 18-12-2009, 12:30 PM
shadowplay

Thumbs up Giggs

Just been announced he has signed a one-year extension.

Legend.

Unread 18-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Sloppy

Giggs has signed a one year extension today.
Closed Thread