United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-01-2017, 07:19 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Where does he rank now? The problem with longevity can be that sometimes fans lose sight of how good a player was at their prime, not many can have that Cantona style arc, where we got his best years, he had matured as a pro, in his prime and retired before his decline became obvious.

Is Rooney a top 10 Utd player now? Best, Charlton, Law, Ronaldo, Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Robson, would not have him ahead of any of those but might be in the next tier?
I'd say no he isn't

A fantastic achievement and in his prime he was a cracking player nqat

Trouble is he's been past his best for quite a few seasons now and sadly people tend to remember that a lot more than the earlier years

He would/could still produce some quality moments from time to time (like today) but they've dried up over the years

Still what an achievement for a player in modern day football to score 250 goals for one club, chuffed for him tbh.

Quote:
Yes, much in his game has frustrated me over the years, and I would have been happy if we had moved him 2/3 years ago. As you say, this is the first season in a long time when he has not been the/a key figure in the team, Utd needed that refresh of the attack.

I do think he is a hard one to rank, he has always been more that just a goalscorer, his team ethic has always been impressive, the achievements are there. Certainly has not aged as gracefully as Scholes and Giggs who were still among the best in the league at 35, 36, 37.
Tbf to him he's played professional football non stop since he was 16.

Giggs was a freak in that respect and reinvented himself a few times over the years.

Unread 21-01-2017, 07:23 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Yes, much in his game has frustrated me over the years, and I would have been happy if we had moved him 2/3 years ago. As you say, this is the first season in a long time when he has not been the/a key figure in the team, Utd needed that refresh of the attack.

I do think he is a hard one to rank, he has always been more that just a goalscorer, his team ethic has always been impressive, the achievements are there. Certainly has not aged as gracefully as Scholes and Giggs who were still among the best in the league at 35, 36, 37.
i think it's all exaggerated massively these days by big moments being replayed over and over again - and I'm very glad rooney's 250th goal was an absolute belter fit to grace any highlights reel...

but i've seen him play a few hundred times and he doesn't rank with the very best footballers for me...

on the other hand unlike ronaldo or pogba or many other brilliant technicians and ball players, with rooney you got a player bearing his soul on the pitch for united and that's £#%&!ing priceless in such a good player.

if i could watch the rooney ronaldo combination of 2006 to 2008 every week I'd be a happy man.

Unread 21-01-2017, 07:26 PM
Cream

Unread 21-01-2017, 07:33 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Still what an achievement for a player in modern day football to score 250 goals for one club, chuffed for him tbh.
Chuffed for MJ as well, and you are right, people were calling his decline from when he 18 based on his bodyshape and lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
i think it's all exaggerated massively these days by big moments being replayed over and over again - and I'm very glad rooney's 250th goal was an absolute belter fit to grace any highlights reel...

but i've seen him play a few hundred times and he doesn't rank with the very best footballers for me...

on the other hand unlike ronaldo or pogba or many other brilliant technicians and ball players, with rooney you got a player bearing his soul on the pitch for united and that's £#%&!ing priceless in such a good player.

if i could watch the rooney ronaldo combination of 2006 to 2008 every week I'd be a happy man.
Sums it up perfectly.

Unread 21-01-2017, 07:41 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

Agree

What made Rooney the player he was was the passion he had for the game, he'd litterlay run his %@#$&!s off (not litteraly) and was such selfless player. His aggression also, he'd go through a player and that would spur the team on, or go on a powerful run knocking defenders out of his path

Sadly the passion and aggression has gone from his game, or is just not what it once was

Also think most of his best football was from the left
Closed Thread