United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-08-2016, 07:31 PM
Sandman

Because Eric encapsulated everything United supporters had always held dear to them, it's not enough just to win, we want to do it with flair, genius, and arrogance. Add in the rebel spirit and he was the perfect fit for United.

Unread 19-08-2016, 07:32 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
Because Eric encapsulated everything United supporters had always held dear to them, it's not enough just to win, we want to do it with flair, genius, and arrogance. Add in the rebel spirit and he was the perfect fit for United.
early wayne was full of flair and genius some of his goals are up there with cantona's best easily

Unread 19-08-2016, 07:32 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Technically superior to Rooney as well though.

I do think it is quite difficult to rate Eric on the all time Utd list, mostly because when he was at his peak the PL was still quite a poor league and it was just before Utd started to make significant strides in Europe.
Very much so.

We weren't dominant. People forget that. He was there at the start of the dominance and, as you say, English sides were all over the place in Europe. The format had changed, the 3 and 5 foreigners rule was killing us. But it wasn't about Europe when he arrived. By the time he'd gone, we were just starting to find our feet, but he was the biggest reason we were good enough to make those inroads in the first place

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopborsky
early wayne was full of flair and genius some of his goals are up there with cantona's best easily
He was and he did, but it was a totally different side. He also changed into a different player. He was never our best player until Ronaldo left or Scholes and Giggs retired. By which point, he was on the wane.

Btw, before Bunks & MJ clothes-line the thread, I'm not criticising him, just simply comparing.

Both are rightly club legends.

Unread 19-08-2016, 07:38 PM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of Darkness
Cantona was revolutionary . He changed us. He was utterly unique and Iconoclastic. He inspired us to be better and influenced The whole club players management fans media the lot . I £#%&!ing loved him as a man as a player and as a winner . I loved his politics and his £#%&! u attitude to the world .

Rooney is a very very good footballer . That's it .
Was.

Unread 19-08-2016, 07:39 PM
jem

how good rooney was has been partially obscured by how bad he has been. maybe people were more willing to forgive a thousand wasteful flicks of cantona because they knew he could have trapped the ball if he'd wanted to. also, eric's team only relied on him for inspiration. too many of rooney's teams have relied on him for £#%&!ing everything recently.

Unread 19-08-2016, 07:43 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
how good rooney was has been partially obscured by how bad he has been. maybe people were more willing to forgive a thousand wasteful flicks of cantona because they knew he could have trapped the ball if he'd wanted to. also, eric's team only relied on him for inspiration. too many of rooney's teams have relied on him for £#%&!ing everything recently.
great point

Unread 19-08-2016, 08:13 PM
TheFatGoth

Unread 19-08-2016, 08:59 PM
ScarFace

Scouse, @#%&!, wanted to leave for two rivals, scouse, been poor for the last 3seasons in comparison, ugly, no pazzaz, potato, England and isn't Cantona.

Unread 19-08-2016, 09:18 PM
Zorg

Cantona didn't play like a complete @#%&! for about four seasons running.

Unread 19-08-2016, 10:12 PM
jem

I wasn't having a go at him for playing with no midfield behind him.

Unread 19-08-2016, 10:14 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I wasn't having a go at him for playing with no midfield behind him.
I know you weren't, been a long time Rooney trumpeter...

Just hope some folk can enjoy this season with him as captain....doing the right things.

1 poor 1 good...

A goal and an assist...

Feeling Very Gay for Man U currently..TISI

Unread 19-08-2016, 10:15 PM
saffers

Cheeky assist for the wazster tonite

Unread 19-08-2016, 10:24 PM
Knockers

Love Rooney tbh but who said Eric was the Michael Hutchence to United's Kylie? That's why. Eric was your first pill.

Unread 19-08-2016, 10:27 PM
Buck

Cantona's style, confidence, aura, ability and the fact he led from the front to start the revolution is why. He's a genius and an enigma. Turn up, dominate, £#%&! off. That's Cantona.

Unread 19-08-2016, 10:36 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
Love Rooney tbh but who said Eric was the Michael Hutchence to United's Kylie? That's why. Eric was your first pill.

Turned into that old raver now, doing adverts for cash...but those times, THOSE times...he was a late shout for an after party.

Unread 20-08-2016, 01:38 AM
Pepe le Pew

Anyone that asks this question can't have seen Eric play.

Imagine city buying RVP (but younger, obv) after the last title & him getting even better and winning 4 titles in the next 5 years, including 2 doubles. Eric was better than that. That's why.

Unread 20-08-2016, 01:52 AM
dinger

Eric encapsulated United at that time, they hated us and he revelled in it. He was the perfect £#%&! you to everyone else in the league at the time. Rooney will never be held in the same regard. But he's been brilliant and he has suffered through some shite United teams tbf

Unread 20-08-2016, 04:19 AM
plopborsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe le Pew
Anyone that asks this question can't have seen Eric play.

Imagine city buying RVP (but younger, obv) after the last title & him getting even better and winning 4 titles in the next 5 years, including 2 doubles. Eric was better than that. That's why.
Not true this is not as simple as what these players have done on the pitch .

Unread 20-08-2016, 04:21 AM
Clarkie

This is actually a serious thread....On £#%&!ing Fred

I've seen it all now

There is no explaining Eric's aura or the sheer love we have for him....He's just that much of a magnificent bastard. End of.

Don't question something that is perfect

Unread 20-08-2016, 11:04 AM
King Eric

We'd gone for an eternity without winning the league then along came King Eric and ended the years of pain, of coming runners up to the Scousers. He was an incredible talent who I believe massively helped us become what we are today. Rooney who I really like has a not so nice side to him, I know Eric did also but Rooney's not so nice side erks the £#%&! out of his own fans at times, where Eric's annoyed the £#%&! out of opposition fans and the establishment. King Eric, pure Legend.
Closed Thread