United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-01-2015, 11:42 PM
Red Al

I think the money to buy him and wages could get us 2 decent players instead.

Would have loved him to be ripping the league apart but it's not happened and its lucky we have him on loan and didn't ***** 50 mil and 250grand + a week in wages.

Use the money elsewhere

Unread 15-01-2015, 11:47 PM
witter87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Al
I think the money to buy him and wages could get us 2 decent players instead.

Would have loved him to be ripping the league apart but it's not happened and its lucky we have him on loan and didn't ***** 50 mil and 250grand + a week in wages.

Use the money elsewhere
If Lvg wants him we will only about £25m for him.

Unread 15-01-2015, 11:48 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by witter87
If Lvg wants him we will only about £25m for him.
You are aware of United's recent record on transfer fees, right?

Unread 16-01-2015, 12:01 AM
witter87

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
You are aware of United's recent record on transfer fees, right?
£55m it is then.

Unread 16-01-2015, 10:13 AM
antonin jablonsky

Here's the minutes he's played for United in total.

14 Sept 23 m
21 Sept 72 min
27 Sept 65 min
5 Oct 73 min goal
20 Oct 18 min
29 Nov 20 min
2 Dec 12 min
14 Dec 12 min
20 Dec 90 mins goal
26 Dec 65 Min
28 Dec 90 min
1 Jan 64 min goal
4 Jan 60 min

That's it. He's played 90 minutes twice and under 30 5 times. In 5 months. In total, that's just over 7 full games and he's scored 3, so pretty close to a goal every 2 games, without ever getting into form. Not been given anywhere near a chance.​ Meanwhile, RVP regularly gets full games despite hardly looking like he's trying.

Unread 16-01-2015, 11:19 AM
dunk

I don't think he's shit. I think he's on the comeback trail from a serious injury and as such won't be fit enough to make much of an impact for us and that he doesn't bring anything different to the forwards we already have. That's my beef. If we'd bought him a year earlier I'd have been delighted.

I'm not much of a fan of RvP fwiw. Rooney should be upfront.

Unread 16-01-2015, 11:22 AM
General Woundwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I don't think he's shit. I think he's on the comeback trail from a serious injury and as such won't be fit enough to make much of an impact for us and that he doesn't bring anything different to the forwards we already have. That's my beef. If we'd bought him a year earlier I'd have been delighted.

I think this is fair enough tbh but I think he deserves special allowances for being so sexy. And it was a gamble worth taking, even though it's looking increasingly like it's doomed to failure.

Unread 16-01-2015, 11:24 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky

14 Sept 23 m
21 Sept 72 min
27 Sept 65 min
5 Oct 73 min goal
20 Oct 18 min
29 Nov 20 min
2 Dec 12 min
14 Dec 12 min
20 Dec 90 mins goal
26 Dec 65 Min
28 Dec 90 min
1 Jan 64 min goal
4 Jan 60 min

That's it. He's played 90 minutes twice and under 30 5 times. In 5 months. In total, that's just over 7 full games and he's scored 3, so pretty close to a goal every 2 games, without ever getting into form. Not been given anywhere near a chance.​ Meanwhile, RVP regularly gets full games despite hardly looking like he's trying.
Woah, woah, woah... coming in here, dropping irrefutable facts & reasonable assertions - it's not really on pal, where's the windmilling, the regurgitation of meaningless soundbites about how he's been shit & will be £#%&!ing off at the drop of a hat?

YMMS.

Unread 16-01-2015, 11:24 AM
Nani

Regardless of how well he plays between now and the end of the season it would be foolish to sign him without RVP leaving. Just think it would be completely unbalanced to have the two of them, and Rooney, all around 30 as our strikers. Need to invest in few younger strikers, ideally some with a bit of pace.

Agree with some of the sentiments here though, hasn't been great but has been doing more than RVP when he's played. Be interesting to see how he plays if he starts with RVP out. I fully expected Wilson as a loan striker with Di Maria just behind him though

Unread 16-01-2015, 11:25 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:

Never said he was shit.

Fwiw.

Edit - meant to quote bigmike

Unread 16-01-2015, 11:25 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Woundwort
I think this is fair enough tbh but I think he deserves special allowances for being so sexy. And it was a gamble worth taking, even though it's looking increasingly like it's doomed to failure.
Obv he's done wonders for our image amongst the female fans and the confused Hetero males in our support etc. But it was clearly doomed to failure from the beginning, at best he scores goals and forces one of RvP and Rooney out whilst either £#%&!ing off or costing a ridiculous amount of money for his age, or it pans out as it has thus far.

Said at the time of his signing, if he replaced RvP or Rooney then fine, but to replace a completely different style of forward and then lose all that other player brought (whether you rated him, he scored shitloads or whatever) was bad planning. A nice mix is required from your forwards imo, not 3 who are very similar. Spanks of a Woodward big name signing to me...

Unread 16-01-2015, 11:33 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:

Don't be daft, he's a midfielder.

Unread 16-01-2015, 11:33 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
Don't be daft, he's a midfielder.

Unread 16-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky

14 Sept 23 m
21 Sept 72 min
27 Sept 65 min
5 Oct 73 min goal
20 Oct 18 min
29 Nov 20 min
2 Dec 12 min
14 Dec 12 min
20 Dec 90 mins goal
26 Dec 65 Min
28 Dec 90 min
1 Jan 64 min goal
4 Jan 60 min

First off, your minutes are wrong, as they don't include injury time. If you add that in, he's on a goal every 230 minutes, which is actually closer to a goal every 3 games, which sounds substantially less impressive. Certainly a very poor return for a supposedly lethal striker, even accounting for being 'out of form'.

Contrast that to RVP, who I think everyone would agree has hardly been in form either, but has still managed a goal every 180 minutes, over a larger sample size too.

Secondly, claiming he hasn't been given a chance is a bit disingenuous. He's been 'fit' for a handful of games while he's been here. When he finally reached something approaching full fitness, he started 5 games in a row. Grabbed a couple of goals tbf, but he hardly excelled and made himself undroppable either.

Unread 16-01-2015, 11:40 AM
General Woundwort

Quote:
Spanks of a Woodward big name signing to me...
Same here (although I think you meant smacks) but I'm not so arsed about the money. City would've paid it and that's the environment we're operating in. Plus, the way RvP was 'performing' at the start of the season, it looked like money well spent. Heigh-ho, a few more months left to rattle one out over images of him in a United shirt.

Unread 16-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Stickman

If we were to pay 20 or over for him we'd be mental.

It won't happen though, no smoke without Fire and I reckon it's true re Van Gaal and him having tension.

Unread 16-01-2015, 11:42 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Woah, woah, woah... coming in here, dropping irrefutable facts & reasonable assertions - it's not really on pal, where's the windmilling, the regurgitation of meaningless soundbites about how he's been shit & will be £#%&!ing off at the drop of a hat?

YMMS.
Sorry. Been away a while.

Unread 16-01-2015, 12:16 PM
PeakyBlinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakyBlinder
Agree with this. Just said the same to a lad in work.

Nailed on it was Woodward flexing his transfer muscles. LvG wasn't going to reject having Falcao in his squad but that doesn't mean it was his signing.

Would be very surprised if he is here next season.

Quote:
Obv he's done wonders for our image amongst the female fans and the confused Hetero males in our support etc. But it was clearly doomed to failure from the beginning, at best he scores goals and forces one of RvP and Rooney out whilst either £#%&!ing off or costing a ridiculous amount of money for his age, or it pans out as it has thus far.

Said at the time of his signing, if he replaced RvP or Rooney then fine, but to replace a completely different style of forward and then lose all that other player brought (whether you rated him, he scored shitloads or whatever) was bad planning. A nice mix is required from your forwards imo, not 3 who are very similar. Spanks of a Woodward big name signing to me...
And myself.

It was the signing he had been waiting for and he wasn't going to pass up on it - regardless if Big Balls wanted him or not.

Unread 17-01-2015, 08:20 AM
djsst

Quote:
I am a fan of Radamel Falcao.

When you look at his record wherever he has been, it’s hard not to be. Look at the goals he has scored in Portugal, Spain and France. Let’s just say this: his record stands up.

But just because he has a great record in the past doesn’t mean he has a divine right to be in the Manchester United first team.

Some of the wailing about the fact that Louis Van Gaal left him out of the squad to play Southampton last Sunday made me smile. Van Gaal explained the reasons why he had put James Wilson on the bench instead of him after the game.

I thought people wanted the United boss to give the young players a chance but when he does it, some of the fans are still angry.

Falcao had played the last five games for the Red Devils before the Southampton match. Maybe Van Gaal just thought he needed a rest.

He arrived at Old Trafford with huge expectations surrounding him because of his prolific goalscoring record. But he has struggled with injuries and, as a result of those injuries, with his fitness.

Sure, he has not had the explosive impact that some were hoping for but I don’t think he’s done too badly. He got two goals in that run of five games to go with the one he scored against Aston Villa earlier in the season.

The kind of player that he is, he needs to be sharp to be pouncing on those chances in the box and it’s taking him time to get there.

He was never going to make the same kind of immediate impact that someone like Angel di Maria made. He’s not going to dribble past players in the middle of the park and terrorise defences with mazy runs. He’s about seizing on chances.

I actually think that United have handled the situation around him very wisely. They’ve taken him on loan. They’ve given themselves time to make their mind up about him.

People are talking about whether he’s worth the £42m that United would apparently have to pay to sign him permanently. Well, I’m sure United could work out a deal for less than that.

I’m not sure his parent-club Monaco can afford him any more and is anybody else going to pay £42m for him at the moment?

I certainly think he can be an asset for United and they will be looking to be stronger next season, not weaker.

Unread 17-01-2015, 08:25 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsst

great article tbf
Closed Thread