United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Billy Bigbollox

Default First Row Sports to be blocked

ISPs being ordered to block First Row from showing PL games. Match day threads will be loads of fun

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23004880

Unread 21-06-2013, 08:00 PM
Ashley's Grime

Greedy £#%&!ing arseholes.

Unread 21-06-2013, 08:04 PM
RuffyPup

Thumbs down

How will I ever manage to get around that :shakehead:

Unread 21-06-2013, 08:05 PM
redhegemony

yep because that worked with TPB - presumably a proxy site will be up and around pretty quickly...

Unread 21-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Aman27deep

*yawn*

Before FRS there used to be a very popular website as well. Wonder how many remember it's name.

Another one with a different name will come up.

Unread 21-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Hopefully just for u.k providers

Unread 21-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Camel

didn't it get shut down before by homeland security just before the superbowl final last year? was back not long after. there are always ways around it, same as piratebay etc.

Unread 21-06-2013, 08:08 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel
didn't it get shut down before by homeland security just before the superbowl final last year? was back not long after. there are always ways around it, same as piratebay etc.
think that was rojadirecta. actually you're right, happened to fr too. any .com can be shut down by the feds. roja got their domain back eventually afaik http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...-forfeit-case/

Unread 21-06-2013, 08:11 PM
Mr Castro

Oh no, how will I cope. I can't possibly think how I'm going to manage to find another site.

They can shut down all they want, they'll never stop it.

It's not like watching 3pm football at home is illegal anyway.

Archaic rule.

Unread 07-07-2013, 06:17 PM
IanCake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman27deep
*yawn*

Before FRS there used to be a very popular website as well. Wonder how many remember it's name.

Another one with a different name will come up.
or with the same one (e.g. firstrow.org)
this will only make the "firstrow" more popular

Unread 07-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Alan

Greedy corporate @#%&!s in being greedy corporate @#%&!s shocker.

Unfortunately for them, the internet has and always will laugh in their faces.

What an absolute joke it is that they want to stop us from watching saturday games at 3pm from the UK, but johnny foreigner can watch all he likes. £#%&! off.

Unread 07-07-2013, 06:48 PM
MrBishi

I've made this point before, but -

When the internet first got popular, it was just fast enough for people to exchange MP3s. People will always take the path of least resistance, and downloading a song is easier than going out and buying a CD, so they chose that. The industry fought 'piracy' for years until some bright spark realised this is what the consumers want so they might as well make some money by offering it themselves.

Then the internet gets fast enough for people to download movies. The movie industry completely ignores what happened with music and decides to fight against 'piracy' for years until some bright spark realised this is what the consumers want so they might as well make some money by offering it themselves.

Now the internet is fast enough for people to stream football matches. The football industry has, of course, refused to pay any attention to what's been going on and will fight against 'piracy' for years until some bright spark realises this is what the consumers want so they might as well make some money by offering it themselves.

Bunch of short sighted £#%&!ing mongs.

Unread 07-07-2013, 07:00 PM
doudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishi
I've made this point before, but -

When the internet first got popular, it was just fast enough for people to exchange MP3s. People will always take the path of least resistance, and downloading a song is easier than going out and buying a CD, so they chose that. The industry fought 'piracy' for years until some bright spark realised this is what the consumers want so they might as well make some money by offering it themselves.

Then the internet gets fast enough for people to download movies. The movie industry completely ignores what happened with music and decides to fight against 'piracy' for years until some bright spark realised this is what the consumers want so they might as well make some money by offering it themselves.

Now the internet is fast enough for people to stream football matches. The football industry has, of course, refused to pay any attention to what's been going on and will fight against 'piracy' for years until some bright spark realises this is what the consumers want so they might as well make some money by offering it themselves.

Bunch of short sighted £#%&!ing mongs.
Absolutely right. If they offered a decent match stream for say, 4-5 quid people would pay in their millions.

Unread 07-07-2013, 07:06 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bigbollox
Match day threads will be loads of fun
That'll be a first

Unread 07-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Tumescent Throb

they're doing what they need to do

the short-sightedness was/is from those who massively underestimated - dismissed even - the potential for selling PL broadcast rights around the world. That market has not nearly been exhausted yet so streaming will continue to be forced to operate on the fringes and rightly so from the PL's pov

the other aspect is that the PL cannot risk being held responsible for a damaging drop-off in saturday 3pm attendances at football matches IRL across the country that might be expected if fans take the lazy armchair/pub option instead

even at United, if it wasn't for the 70,000 actual supporters who go to the home matches there would be less and less interest in having them on tele - and they're already on tele far too much, a fact that can clearly be picked up from the spoilt mard arsed whining and complacency shown in places like this, in the main from people who hardly ever go if they go at all.

Unread 07-07-2013, 07:52 PM
MrBishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
they're doing what they need to do

the short-sightedness was/is from those who massively underestimated - dismissed even - the potential for selling PL broadcast rights around the world. That market has not nearly been exhausted yet so streaming will continue to be forced to operate on the fringes and rightly so from the PL's pov

the other aspect is that the PL cannot risk being held responsible for a damaging drop-off in saturday 3pm attendances at football matches IRL across the country that might be expected if fans take the lazy armchair/pub option instead

even at United, if it wasn't for the 70,000 actual supporters who go to the home matches there would be less and less interest in having them on tele - and they're already on tele far too much, a fact that can clearly be picked up from the spoilt mard arsed whining and complacency shown in places like this, in the main from people who hardly ever go if they go at all.
Pubs already show 3pm games on TV through foreign channels, they've been legally allowed to do so. People who want to watch Utd on a stream will already do so. The whole idea that there are people who go to Rochdale vs Cheltenham because they've been blocked from watching Utd is a ridiculous one.

There will always be foreign broadcasters willing to pay because people will still watch games on TV even though streams would be available - much in the same way that streaming/downloading movies hasn't stopped people going to the cinema. Yes, the income from TV rights would be reduced, but that would be easily offset against the income from selling streaming subscriptions. Especially as - and this is the important part - the ones who are streaming get to control the advertising. The content providers would be getting paid by Carlsberg and LegalisedLoanSharks.com to advertise, and subscribers will be paying to watch the adverts. The Premier League can make lots of money from this, and they could have sole control instead of selling off rights, but they won't do it for years because they're run by £#%&!ing mongs.

To be honest, it could be the start of the Premier League all over again. Back then it was clubs breaking away from the Football League because clubs saw the value in televised football but the League wouldn't adapt; if the PL won't adapt to the current situation, then clubs will start streaming first and all shades of shit will hit the fan.

Unread 07-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishi
Pubs already show 3pm games on TV through foreign channels, they've been legally allowed to do so. People who want to watch Utd on a stream will already do so. The whole idea that there are people who go to Rochdale vs Cheltenham because they've been blocked from watching Utd is a ridiculous one.

There will always be foreign broadcasters willing to pay because people will still watch games on TV even though streams would be available - much in the same way that streaming/downloading movies hasn't stopped people going to the cinema. Yes, the income from TV rights would be reduced, but that would be easily offset against the income from selling streaming subscriptions. Especially as - and this is the important part - the ones who are streaming get to control the advertising. The content providers would be getting paid by Carlsberg and LegalisedLoanSharks.com to advertise, and subscribers will be paying to watch the adverts. The Premier League can make lots of money from this, and they could have sole control instead of selling off rights, but they won't do it for years because they're run by £#%&!ing mongs.

To be honest, it could be the start of the Premier League all over again. Back then it was clubs breaking away from the Football League because clubs saw the value in televised football but the League wouldn't adapt; if the PL won't adapt to the current situation, then clubs will start streaming first and all shades of shit will hit the fan.
think the point is not that they go there cus they can't watch 3pm football on tele, but that they might be less likely to bother if they could - that's what I meant by "the lazy option" anyhoo

it's true that the ruling has been made in favour of pubs screening foreign feeds recently, but we're still a long way from that option biting into sky's dominance, and after all, it is sky's (and especially its advertisers and sponsors, together with those of the clubs themselves and all that goes with them) that is being protected here as well.

the main thing for me is still the fact that United are already on tele far too much, and so I welcome the continuation of the broadcasting rules on that basis alone even without all the other stuff I've mentioned

Unread 07-07-2013, 08:29 PM
andyroo

Throb, why do you bother with a forum you so obviously hate? It can't be doing you any good.

Unread 07-07-2013, 08:33 PM
JakeB

The NBA provides an online subscription service (considerably cheaper than a Sky subscription) where you can watch every game streamed online, and I believe the whole season is archived for you to go back through too.

Friend of mine is heavily into basketball but living in the UAE, couldn't believe this service when he showed me it. Although I suppose the NBA makes less from international tv rights etc than the Premier League?

Unread 07-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Adz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeB
The NBA provides an online subscription service (considerably cheaper than a Sky subscription) where you can watch every game streamed online, and I believe the whole season is archived for you to go back through too.

Friend of mine is heavily into basketball but living in the UAE, couldn't believe this service when he showed me it. Although I suppose the NBA makes less from international tv rights etc than the Premier League?
The MLB do it as well and it's great value. Works out around £80 and you can watch every single regular and post season game.

There's blackouts though, so you couldn't watch Yankees games through it if you lived in the NY area etc.
Closed Thread