United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Off Topic
Closed Thread

Old 29-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Barca '91

Question Gamblers: Help me out

I only ever do the fixed odds coupon and carelessly through money away at Cheltenham and The National so betting is a foreign language to me really.

Can you explain to me what;

a) A double / treble / whatever is and how they work etc

b) WTF all this 'laying' means on Betfair

c) Why I never seem to win

Cheers

Old 29-03-2007, 11:00 AM
HarkNowHear

double= 2 selections. You can bet each way or to win. Your stake goes onto the 1st selection and if it wins the winnings then go onto the 2nd selection, if that wins you are happy. If either selection loses you are not happy

eg

5 win double on 2/1 and 3/1 selections

5 win @ 2/1 returns 15 in total

the 15 then rolls onto the next selection

15 win @ 3/1 retuens 60

you now have 60 for a 5 bet,

same applies to trebles accumulators

only need one to lose to say tattyby to your cash

becomes more complicated with each way betting

Old 29-03-2007, 11:32 AM
tim887

Doubles, trebles etc are known as accumulators. You are betting that all the events will happen. In effect you are saying "I want to bet on the first one, and when it wins stick all the winnings on the second one."

To calculate, add 1 to each of the odds and multiple (this is because you get your stake back and are also putting that on the 2nd selection). So a double on a 2/1 and 3/1 horse = 12/1 ((2+1)*(3+1))

And yes one fuckup means you lose the lot. That's why people do things like 'Lucky 15s' which cover all the options instead of one big accumulator. You pick four horses/teams and bet 15 times your stake (50p Lucky 15 costs 7.50) for which you get:

1 * 50p 4fold
4 * 50p trebles
6 * 50p doubles
4 * 50p singles

So you get something back for 1 winner, and most likely make a small profit with 2. A fine way to spin your money out all afternoon, and a cheap-ish way to learn about accumulators; they even have a lucky 15 form you just write the names on in 4 boxes. But as I said to Dr Steven Hawking the other day, let's not run before we can walk, eh?

Have you used those eggs yet?

Old 29-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Barca '91

Cheers lads, I think I get it.

I dont know eff all about the gee gee's so say I wanted to stick a fiver on United to beat Blackburn and Chelsea to beat Watford Satdee. What do you write down on your betting slip? Is there any special lingo I need to learn so as not to look like a right nob head*

Oh and yeah those eggs went ages ago mate...I'm still alive and kicking. I binned the M&S Meatballs though.

* I do appreciate I manage to pull this off more often than not anyway

Old 29-03-2007, 12:18 PM
carlosartorial

Just write 'double' next to it. It's that easy.

Old 29-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Barca '91

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Just write 'double' next to it. It's that easy.
Dont I have to do any of that sign language the bookies at the race course do? Disappointed if not

Old 29-03-2007, 12:36 PM
tim887

United to beat Watford
Chelsea to beat Blackburn

5 WIN double

---------
(You don't need the 'win' bit because you can't beat each way on football, but best to get into good habits, eh?)

Old 29-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca '91
a) A double / treble / whatever is and how they work etc

b) WTF all this 'laying' means on Betfair

c) Why I never seem to win

Cheers
a) See above answers

b) You become the bookie and take bets. Like a bookie, you pay out if the thing wins, you keep the stake if it loses. You choose how much you take bets for, and on what outcome.

c) You're just crap.
Closed Thread