United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-05-2016, 04:57 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
Absolutely.

LVG was just happy to have the job, he wouldn't push Woody hard.
Jose will.

Yes we will try to be as tight as possible with our initial offers but i'm sure Mourinho will let it be known if Woody is taking the piss getting the deal across the line ( LVG/Moyes both didn't seem to care )
Can imagine Mourinho (and especially Mendes) having a better grip of the current market too. Apparently when LvG showed up there was no information on players, he had to figure it out himself. Given he'd been out the club game for three years it's no surprise his signings smacked of the easy options. Mourinho should have a wider scope.

Unread 25-05-2016, 04:57 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Misread that, then went to do some research, come back and realised i'd misread.

Anyway, in his 6 full seasons at Chelsea he outscored us 4 times, scored the same as us once, and scored fewer once.
At least we should improve on set pieces now. That was the only way his first Chelsea ever seemed to £#%&!ing score. Winger fall over in a nice position for a Lampard inswinger.

Unread 25-05-2016, 04:58 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showpo...3&postcount=70

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showpo...8&postcount=73

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=101

Misread that, then went to do some research, come back and realised i'd misread.

Anyway, in his 6 full seasons at Chelsea he outscored us 4 times, scored the same as us once, and scored fewer once.
Tbf his time at Chelsea was often against a United in transition, be it under Fergie or Moyes/Van Gaal. But 72 goals is a modest number to win the league with. Perfectly represents a side that know where the goal is but don't push it.

Unread 25-05-2016, 04:59 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Negative, anti-football shithouse.

All hail the new Messiah..
You're going to hate this season if you don't let it gooooooo.
Don't do that to yourself. Nobody wins.

Atleast the LVG haters had an endgame in sight. You'll be doomed for years.

Unread 25-05-2016, 05:00 PM
dragflick

Quote:
http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showpo...3&postcount=70

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showpo...8&postcount=73

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=101

Rhodzy is MIA isn't he....

Riccers, you got any info' pal?

Unread 25-05-2016, 05:00 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
You're going to hate this season if you don't let it gooooooo.
Don't do that to yourself. Nobody wins.

Atleast the LVG haters had an endgame in sight. You'll be doomed for years.
He has to win me over. Simple as. He starts as a £#%&!ing @#%&!. Let's see how he does..

Unread 25-05-2016, 05:01 PM
92ToBury

I have every faith in Jose attracting the players and the same amount of certainty that Ed will £#%&! half the deals up.

Unread 25-05-2016, 05:03 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Yeah I don't think anyone would call Mourinho an attacking coach but he isn't a defensive one either
Basically he's a coach who likes a balance between attack and defence
That said after the last 2 seasons I'd take 72 goals for the next league season right now

It's not just purely goals that are entertaining but the speed and intensity with which you play
Take Tommy Doherty's teams in the 70s, known as one of the most exciting attacking sides in Utd's history but only scored 68 league goals in 42 games in the 75-76 season and 71 league goals in 42 games in the 76-77 season
Not particularly impressive numbers but it was how they played that made them such a memorable side

Anyway I think since he's now our manager we have to give Mou the benefit of the doubt on some of his past sides and judge him on what he does with us which is what most of us did with LvG
His approach to big games is where problems will arise if he doesn't change. The Premier League looks set to be more competitive than ever and that means even more big games. If United approach every game with the big six with negative intentions, home and away, it'll quickly be an issue.

I think he will change, or at least try to. For me, once again I won't be looking at results initially. I'm interested in what type of side he wants to build. If the indications are promising in that regard, he will get my support (I know it means a lot to him) for a long time, whatever mitigation or bad luck. If he's the same old Mourinho, it'll be hard to really embrace him.

Unread 25-05-2016, 05:04 PM
Switching Off

Up to August 2015

Unread 25-05-2016, 05:17 PM
Tiberian

Any of the current failures we hope that he might rehabilitate? Darmian possibly, his failings under LVG were how unsuited he was to a system that expected the full backs to take on a lot of attacking responsibility. Mou might like him in a more conservative role.

Perhaps Schneiderlin,, possibly the main disappointment of this season, more than enough in his game to have more expected from him.

Unread 25-05-2016, 05:21 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Can imagine Mourinho (and especially Mendes) having a better grip of the current market too. Apparently when LvG showed up there was no information on players, he had to figure it out himself. Given he'd been out the club game for three years it's no surprise his signings smacked of the easy options. Mourinho should have a wider scope.
yeah so we are led to believe

although we know it's utter horseshit don't we, and not least because van gaal gave his approval to 2 signings the club had lined up.

Unread 25-05-2016, 05:22 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
yeah so we are led to believe

although we know it's utter horseshit don't we, and not least because van gaal gave his approval to 2 signings the club had lined up.
Moyes had lined up. Having himself been appalled by the lack of scouting iirc.

Unread 25-05-2016, 05:25 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
He's won trophies everywhere he has gone. Has the biggest reputation in Europe and most of his ex players love him.

If Benzema pops up in the transfer gossip, its surely a goer now with Mou in charge and astronomical wages
Attracting them might be easier - signing them however is down to that chinless twonk Woodward, and he is clueless.

Unread 25-05-2016, 05:27 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Any of the current failures we hope that he might rehabilitate? Darmian possibly, his failings under LVG were how unsuited he was to a system that expected the full backs to take on a lot of attacking responsibility. Mou might like him in a more conservative role.

Perhaps Schneiderlin,, possibly the main disappointment of this season, more than enough in his game to have more expected from him.
Darmian not crossing the halfway line while Shaw gets forward feels like an obvious one to suit Mourinho. Van Gaal ended up preferring Valencia, possibly for his ball retention and recovery pace with the high line. Darmian the more natural defender which could appeal to Mouronho.

Could yet be a revival for Rojo. Mou will like his attitude and physicality.

No such luck for Januzaj would be my bold prediction

Unread 25-05-2016, 05:28 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian

Memphis could be the biggest one to benefit
He's been absolutely shit but playing in a team with much quicker transition from defence to attack could make a big difference to his game
Also Mou gives his attackers more positional freedom when in possession which could really help as well

Alternatively he could see him as a waste of space and get rid

Will be interesting to see what he does with Big Memph

Unread 25-05-2016, 05:33 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Moyes had lined up. Having himself been appalled by the lack of scouting iirc.
motes left in april. van gaal approved those deals. not sure why you're arguing tbh, although it does remove another piece from your script i suppose

Unread 25-05-2016, 05:35 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
He's been absolutely shit but playing in a team with much quicker transition from defence to attack could make a big difference to his game
Also Mou gives his attackers more positional freedom when in possession which could really help as well

Will be surprised if Memph is here in September. His attitude just isn't good enough and if Martial is to prosper on the left Mou will likely want someone more industrious on the right. Hopefully someone good going forward, but not likely to be a Memphis type imo.

Suppose back up to Martial a possibility, but that's unlikely to draw much from him in terms of confidence.

You'd expect Schneiderlin and Herrera to inevitably improve, albeit I expect both flawed in the long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
motes left in april. van gaal approved those deals. not sure why you're arguing tbh, although it does remove another piece from your script i suppose
I'm not arguing as far as I know. Van Gaal approved deals Moyes had lined up. Isn't this common knowledge?

Unread 25-05-2016, 05:40 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Darmian not crossing the halfway line while Shaw gets forward feels like an obvious one to suit Mourinho. Van Gaal ended up preferring Valencia, possibly for his ball retention and recovery pace with the high line. Darmian the more natural defender which could appeal to Mouronho.

Could yet be a revival for Rojo. Mou will like his attitude and physicality.

No such luck for Januzaj would be my bold prediction
It has surprised me but I think Valencia had done a more than decent job at FB over the last couple of years. We missed him during his spell out this season, would still have preferred Rafa of course but I do not see Mou binning him, managers love him. Rojo might be too reckless as a defender for Mou, hoping he can get Jones fit tbh, he will not as committed to the right foot/left foot balance in the back-line as LVG was.

Quote:

Martial is blocking his path though, if Zlatan does come he will not be moving off that left wing any time soon, stronger from there than centrally at this stage. Memphis has to show more to his game than this Ronaldo tribute act he has at the moment, develop his wing play, be better one v one, develop variation other than looking for the cut in and shoot. A spell on the right might help that process.

Unread 25-05-2016, 05:49 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
I'm not arguing as far as I know. Van Gaal approved deals Moyes had lined up. Isn't this common knowledge?

moyes left in april.

van gaal approved deals the club had lined up.

Quote:

that is absolutely the key difference.

the single biggest issue by far van gaal had was teaching his players that they could express themselves within his rigid positional structure.

be interesting to see how guardiola goes with that at city as well. hopefully mourinho's greater freedom will help us steal a march...

Unread 25-05-2016, 06:37 PM
dunk

http://www.101greatgoals.com/news/jo...reio-da-manha/

Well there's 3 off the list...

Been linked with that Joao Mario as well haven't we?
Closed Thread