United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-09-2008, 09:52 PM
borsuk

Default well, i feel a bit more optimistic now

much better performance, that. just lacking the finish but we're getting there. they'll improve with each match now - this was really the first match where we didn't look like we were still in pre-season.

pluses:
park - excellent performance
fletcher - key player in m/f today. an excellent performance. on current form he has to be the first pick in m/f for us for the next few matches
evans - excellent composure, very good distribution, got forward well. certainly didn't look like the inexperienced youngster that he is, very impressive.
ronnie - not up to speed but back
rooney - creative, hardworking, clearly in some form. must be played up front.
hargreaves - good hour under his belt

minuses:
we only achieve a high tempo sporadically atm (and when we do we suddenly look capable of ripping teams apart)
neville - wtf has happened to his crossing?
nani - decent game overall but far too many crosses hitting the first defender
anderson - just doesn't look anywhere near form to me. poor passing, terrible shooting. let's hope he can play himself into some form soon.

still, today at least we looked like a united side and showed some coherence and organisation. on the up

Unread 17-09-2008, 09:57 PM
denis lawless

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk

pluses:
WUM

park = stump

he should be playing in one....

Unread 17-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Bunker Buster

Park and Nani.....

Two best players............

Honest.

Unread 17-09-2008, 10:01 PM
captain scarlet

Quote:
much better performance, that. just lacking the finish but we're getting there. they'll improve with each match now - this was really the first match where we didn't look like we were still in pre-season.

pluses:
fletcher - key player in m/f today. an excellent performance. on current form he has to be the first pick in m/f for us for the next few matches
evans - excellent composure, very good distribution, got forward well. certainly didn't look like the inexperienced youngster that he is, very impressive.

minuses:
we only achieve a high tempo sporadically atm (and when we do we suddenly look capable of ripping teams apart)
anderson - just doesn't look anywhere near form to me. poor passing, terrible shooting. let's hope he can play himself into some form soon.

still, today at least we looked like a united side and showed some coherence and organisation. on the up

I have read this three times as it helps me.

Unread 17-09-2008, 10:04 PM
red @rmy

Quote:

pluses:

minuses:

Not as good as some make out imo.

Like the effort he puts in though.

Unread 17-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Jez Quigley

Default Good shout

Borsuk - pretty much agree with all of that and well put.

Towards he end, I really thought Fletcher was going to get on the end of a move and be through on goal - he and Park were really good I thought.

Also struggling to see how SAF can drop Tevez - his work ethic is superb.

Unread 17-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by red @rmy
Not as good as some make out imo.

Like the effort he puts in though.
Yes he is, he hasn't even been fully fit since he's been at the club. Give him a chance.

Unread 17-09-2008, 10:11 PM
redmike

Quote:

pluses:

minuses:

Good summing up that, but we need to up it again if we are to avoid a defeat against that west london mob.

Unread 17-09-2008, 10:12 PM
red @rmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
Yes he is, he hasn't even been fully fit since he's been at the club. Give him a chance.
He was fit enough last season, this isn't a knee jerk reaction, I hope he proves me wrong, lets wait and see. Early part of the season yet.

Unread 17-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Whalefish

Don't think we played that badly given the personal out there. Fletcher and Hargreaves in the middle, no real sharp/incisive creativity as expected, but both did well enough. Park, first game back, did well. Nani ok if a bit wasteful from set pieces. Evans - no problem there, should have scored.

They have the best defence in the Spanish league for me, two superb centre backs, and are a good side. Will be different at theirs, especially if Nihat is fit. Wonderful little player. They'll at least have a go for 90mins.

I do however have an issue with our attacking play though, it's shit atm. Clumsy and sluggish in the main. Do we coach players not to shoot from distance these days, do players not work on it (Anderson take £#%&!ing note)? This sluggishness though is the main problem for me. Tevez apart, I'd bet an awful lot of money that we don't have single play approaching a decent standard of match fitness and sharpness.

£#%&!ing dreading Sunday.

Unread 17-09-2008, 10:25 PM
captain scarlet

Totally agree whalefish. The sluggishness you refer to is incredibly evident and very worrying if its an accurate reflection of fitness levels.

Unread 17-09-2008, 10:26 PM
ichiban

More Jonny Evans. That's what we need.

Unread 17-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain scarlet
Totally agree whalefish. The sluggishness you refer to is incredibly evident and very worrying if its an accurate reflection of fitness levels.
It'll pass, we'll improve. Nailed on. But what on earth were Utd doing preseason? Jollies around the world, generating a bit of cash etc. Playing against shite. It's hardly ideal.

Chelsea on the other hand - atm - look fit, sharp and well organised.

Unread 17-09-2008, 10:30 PM
redmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish

I do however have an issue with our attacking play though, it's shit atm. Clumsy and sluggish in the main. Do we coach players not to shoot from distance these days, do players not work on it (Anderson take £#%&!ing note)? This sluggishness though is the main problem for me. Tevez apart, I'd bet an awful lot of money that we don't have single play approaching a decent standard of match fitness and sharpness.

£#%&!ing dreading Sunday.
It has been the same for a while, even last season games in which utd have hogged possession for about 60% of a game and ending up with the paltry stats of about 3 shots on target, this sickness has even spread to the likes of scholes.

Pass pass pass, the utd sides of yesteryear thinking of the 98-2002 teams were far more clinical in front of goal.

Unread 17-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmike
It has been the same for a while, even last season games in which utd have hogged possession for about 60% of a game and ending up with the paltry stats of about 3 shots on target, this sickness has even spread to the likes of scholes.

Pass pass pass, the utd sides of yesteryear thinking of the 98-2002 teams were far more clinical in front of goal.
I watched it round the old dears. She was chatting to me and half way through several conversations I'd be getting up and screaming "Shoot for £#%&!s sake!!!" at the TV

My mum looked scared to death at one point but wasn't impressed when I blurted out "Oh for £#%&!s sake you useless @#%&!!"

Unread 17-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Bral

Park had a £#%&!ing stinker

Unread 17-09-2008, 10:40 PM
redmike

Smile

Quote:
I watched it round the old dears. She was chatting to me and half way through several conversations I'd be getting up and screaming "Shoot for £#%&!s sake!!!" at the TV

My mum looked scared to death at one point but wasn't impressed when I blurted out "Oh for £#%&!s sake you useless @#%&!!"
We've all been there, mrs goes into the conservatory with book in hand she knows whats coming.

Unread 17-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Gruber

Quote:
I'd be getting up and screaming "Shoot for £#%&!s sake!!!" at the TV
I woke the wife up shouting the same thing at Rooney when he tried to lay it on for Tevez, she wasn't best pleased as its her day off work. I said to her your not pleased, how do you think I £#%&!ing feel watching this, to which she threw a deaf one and went back to bed.

Now a full days work awaits me

Unread 17-09-2008, 10:46 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain scarlet
I have read this three times as it helps me.

Quote:
This sluggishness though is the main problem for me. Tevez apart, I'd bet an awful lot of money that we don't have single play approaching a decent standard of match fitness and sharpness.
absolutely. all the crap we've had since the weekend about tactics and formations has masked the simple fact that we're not out of pre-season yet. having said that, though, i think we showed bursts of high-tempo play tonight, for the first time this season. that is a step forward.

wes for neville will probably be the only change at the back for the weekend. i'd hope for a central m/f three against chelsea: fletcher, scholes and hargreaves, with berbatov up front and tecezf and rooney droppin back to m/f when we lose the ball.

Unread 17-09-2008, 11:13 PM
m14red

how is he going to drop one of rooney and tevez? he should do but i can see it turning in to £#%&!ing gerrard and lampard for ingerlund and he will keep shoe-horning all three -with berbatov -in to the team
Closed Thread