United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-06-2008, 02:28 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Thumbs up Sir Alex Ferguson to leave Manchester United if Glazers sell Cristiano Ronaldo

Now there's a headline

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mai...ufnferg116.xml

Quote:
Sir Alex Ferguson has entrenched his position yet further with regard to the ongoing Cristiano Ronaldo transfer battle, apparently leaving Manchester United in little doubt that he will walk out of Old Trafford should the Portuguese be sold without his consent.

A source close to Ferguson explained: “Sir Alex has put his foot down. He is so adamant that if the club dared to cash in on Ronaldo against his wishes, it wouldn’t surprise me if he walked out.”

Celebrating the Champions League and Premier League double just weeks ago, Ferguson revealed in a television interview with Sir David Frost that he was considering retirement within three years. However, the Scot could decide to bring that date forward, especially if he can no longer trust the club's owners.

Ferguson has repeatedly stated that a mutual confidence between the manager and the club ownership is vital. The initial concerns that sprung up when the Glazer family took over United in 2005 were quelled when it was made clear that team affairs would be left solely with Ferguson.

Moreover, when the tenuous nature of Sven-Goran Eriksson’s position at Manchester City first became clear, Ferguson was quick to reaffirm the importance of a manager being given full support from his owners.

“At big clubs, it’s absolutely paramount that the board shows their class,” he said. "I'm very fortunate, the Glazer family have been tremendous. They have let me get on with my job and I think that speaks volumes for our club."

Early signs are that Ferguson still enjoys the Glazers' full backing. Indeed, they stood shoulder-to-shoulder with him regarding his hard line approach to let Ronaldo “rot in the stands” rather than sell him to Real.

The Americans have also discredited reports that money from a transfer would be used to alleviate debt, declaring instead that, if a transfer were to go ahead, the funds would be ploughed back into the squad.

Unread 16-06-2008, 02:43 PM
armchair

a source close to Ferguson

un-named of course

Unread 16-06-2008, 02:46 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

I had a conversation with a journo once who said that 50% of the time the source close to someone was them speaking off the record and the other 50% of the time it was made up by the journo himself.

Unread 16-06-2008, 02:53 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair

un-named of course
yeh you just stop reading after that

Unread 16-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Flix

I thought Fergie had instructed Gill to send out an all user email advising he was being sold

Unread 16-06-2008, 03:00 PM
naes_sean

Quote:

un-named of course
good enough for me!!

Unread 16-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Darth Vidic

Quote:
I thought Fergie had instructed Gill to send out an all user email advising he was being sold
Check your spam folder.

Unread 16-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Spiffy

£4M per year. I don't know why people think Fergie will walk if the Glazer's sell him. He sees his job as managing what's available. If he goes Fergie will stay just like he did when the Glazer's came in.

Unread 16-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Father Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
£4M per year. I don't know why people think Fergie will walk if the Glazer's sell him. He sees his job as managing what's available. If he goes Fergie will stay just like he did when the Glazer's came in.
Not getting your hopes up then?

Unread 16-06-2008, 05:28 PM
armchair

Wenger and Keane are both on more money than saf. O'Neill probably is too.

Unread 16-06-2008, 05:32 PM
red red robbo

Quote:

un-named of course
Not only is it a "source" but he is only offering his opinion, not what SAF has told him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by source
it wouldn’t surprise me if he walked out

Unread 16-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Christmas
Not getting your hopes up then?
Is there any point? He'll be here come what may, he doesn't get involved in the business end of things. First team only.

Unread 16-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Gizza

Quote:
Wenger and Keane are both on more money than saf. O'Neill probably is too.
And Scolari. And Capello for a part time job

Unread 16-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Jason Todd

No way would Fergie walk if Ronaldo was sold. His principles started to ease off a few years back over things a lot more important than one player so can hardly see them coming back all of a sudden.

Unread 16-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
I had a conversation with a journo once who said that 50% of the time the source close to someone was them speaking off the record and the other 50% of the time it was made up by the journo himself.
how do you know this journo was telling you the truth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Is there any point? He'll be here come what may, he doesn't get involved in the business end of things. First team only.
1st team only? Yeah right. You live in a fantasy world.

Unread 16-06-2008, 07:15 PM
£#%&! KFC

the 'story' has been dismissed as utter shite today by Gill

never mind eh

Unread 16-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Tumescent Throb

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC

never mind eh
anyone would think there are people out there feeling very pissed off that United are League and European Champions

Unread 16-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Withers

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC

never mind eh
Good.

I trust Mr Gill, he never tells lies like those naughty newspapers.

Which bit did he declare is %@#$&!s though? That Fergie would walk or that the Glazers would sell?

Unread 16-06-2008, 07:24 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
anyone would think there are people out there feeling very pissed off that United are League and European Champions
ex£#%&!inactly

more than a few @#%&!s on here for a start

I'll do them a copy of the End of Season DVd, after all they wouldn't want to give money to the Glazers right

Unread 17-06-2008, 09:51 PM
jem

Default it "wouldn't have surprised me"

if he'd walked out when the glazers took over.
Closed Thread