United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-06-2018, 01:09 PM
boreez

United 2026 sounds like a flight number not a World Cup.

Unread 13-06-2018, 01:12 PM
naes_sean

Unread 13-06-2018, 01:13 PM
signed dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath
something something keepers building a good wall something something

Edit: So you could play one game in Anchorage, one in Hawaii, one in Cancun and one in Nova Scotia etc????

Menkul. Menkul. Chicken Orienkul.
Makes sense, mix it up, following a world cup in a country this size

Unread 13-06-2018, 01:14 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Do they even have the stadia to host a world cup?

Ibrox, Celtic Park, Aviva Stadium...

Rest of the stadiums with sufficient capacity are gaelic football aren't they?
Murrayfield and Thomond Park (rugby stadium in Limerick) were part of it. Pretty sure Croker and Pairc Ui Chaoimh (Cork GAA) were too.

GAA fields are not unsuitable as far as playing pitches go, they're slightly longer than a soccer pitch but rectangular. But they have standing areas, which is a no-nonsense for world cup venues and would need to be covered by seating which reduces capacity.

Unread 13-06-2018, 01:17 PM
sub three hours

Will they all 3 countries qualify automatically?

Unread 13-06-2018, 01:21 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours
Will they all 3 countries qualify automatically?
Yup.

Only FOURTY FIVE places left.

Unread 13-06-2018, 01:21 PM
Lok

A UK world cup would be awesome. Doubt we'll see it in my lifetime. Doesn't make any sense as it'd generate a £#%&!-ton of money for Fifa. Every match would sell out and there's plenty of big stadiums.

USA getting it again is a bit shit. I thought that if you failed with a bid (as they did for 2018) you couldn't bid again for a long time (20 years?). Have they got around that by making it a joint bid? They'll stick a few shitty group matches in Canada and Mexico and anything half decent will be in the USA.

I think I read somewhere they have 26 stadiums that hold over 80k and 8 over 100k. That plus loads of hotels means it was always going to win any non rigged election.

Unread 13-06-2018, 01:23 PM
Seamus

I cant understand why england hasnt applied.

its rather baffling

Unread 13-06-2018, 01:27 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus

its rather baffling
We applied to host in 2018 but it failed.

We also applied to host the 2006 World Cup bid. I remember it well as the bids went in around 1999 I think and I decided to do my GCSE graphics coursework on it and had to design a brochure and a logo. Wrote to the FA and they sent me a load of books, brochures and a pin badge about the bid and wished me luck in the project. The funny thing is, the logo I designed, looks very much like the one Russia 2018 has.

Cool story bro etc.

Unread 13-06-2018, 01:35 PM
Seamus

Quote:

We also applied to host the 2006 World Cup bid. I remember it well as the bids went in around 1999 I think and I decided to do my GCSE graphics coursework on it and had to design a brochure and a logo. Wrote to the FA and they sent me a load of books, brochures and a pin badge about the bid and wished me luck in the project. The funny thing is, the logo I designed, looks very much like the one Russia 2018 has.
do you think they sold it to Russia ?

Unread 13-06-2018, 01:35 PM
andyroo

Quote:

Yeah we had to go and play in that £#%&!ing ridiculous vanity tournament in Brazil and RUIN the FA Cup because it was supposed to help England's bid. Caused a bit of a kerfuffle at the time IIRC.

It's almost like Lok was making it up about failed bid countries not being allowed to reapply.

Unread 13-06-2018, 01:36 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
do you think they sold it to Russia ?

Unread 13-06-2018, 01:40 PM
MrBishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Murrayfield and Thomond Park (rugby stadium in Limerick) were part of it. Pretty sure Croker and Pairc Ui Chaoimh (Cork GAA) were too.

GAA fields are not unsuitable as far as playing pitches go, they're slightly longer than a soccer pitch but rectangular. But they have standing areas, which is a no-nonsense for world cup venues and would need to be covered by seating which reduces capacity.
Nope, only two stadiums in Ireland for the Euro 2008 bid - Croke Park and whatever would've then replaced Lansdowne Road

Having most grounds based in either Dublin or Glasgow was always a huge stumbling block for the bid

GAA pitches are more than 'slightly' longer 'n all, they're massive compared to football pitches, huge gap to the stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
USA getting it again is a bit shit. I thought that if you failed with a bid (as they did for 2018) you couldn't bid again for a long time (20 years?). Have they got around that by making it a joint bid? They'll stick a few shitty group matches in Canada and Mexico and anything half decent will be in the USA.
Don't think there's ever been such a rule. At the moment they rotate it around the confederations, but even then it's a recommendation more than an actual rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
I think I read somewhere they have 26 stadiums that hold over 80k and 8 over 100k. That plus loads of hotels means it was always going to win any non rigged election.
Most of those are university ('college') stadiums, big capacities but relatively poor facilities when compared to modern football grounds - and FIFA are all about pandering to sponsors

Unread 13-06-2018, 01:41 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
Challenge accepted

Meet you on Brooklyn bridge pal ?

Unread 13-06-2018, 01:48 PM
TheFatGoth

As if WC qualifiers weren't boring enough. 48 teams ffs

Unread 13-06-2018, 01:51 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

Meet you on Brooklyn bridge pal ?
yes but bring your bum bag and mouth guard.

I'll take care of the go pro.

Unread 13-06-2018, 02:58 PM
croberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishi
Nope, only two stadiums in Ireland for the Euro 2008 bid - Croke Park and whatever would've then replaced Lansdowne Road

Having most grounds based in either Dublin or Glasgow was always a huge stumbling block for the bid

GAA pitches are more than 'slightly' longer 'n all, they're massive compared to football pitches, huge gap to the stands.

Don't think there's ever been such a rule. At the moment they rotate it around the confederations, but even then it's a recommendation more than an actual rule

Most of those are university ('college') stadiums, big capacities but relatively poor facilities when compared to modern football grounds - and FIFA are all about pandering to sponsors
There's only one college stadium in the bid (Rose Bowl). The rest are NFL stadiums which have all either been built or rebuilt within the last 20 odd years.

Unread 13-06-2018, 03:17 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

its rather baffling
We've given up trying after it became abundantly clear we didn't know how to bribe the FIFA officials properly like the other candidates did.

We saw our arses after the last farce where they gave it to Russia and Qatar and rightly haven't bothered since. If I remember rightly the FA had some less than complimentary words to say about FIFA after that so we can forget about hosting another world cup for a long long time.

Absolutely mad though that the country that gave the world association football as it's known has only hosted one world cup in 100 years, whilst the USA, where football is about 8th down the pecking order after beach volleyball and bikini NFL gets two world cups 25 years. What a joke.

Unread 13-06-2018, 03:35 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
We've given up trying after it became abundantly clear we didn't know how to bribe the FIFA officials properly like the other candidates did.

We saw our arses after the last farce where they gave it to Russia and Qatar and rightly haven't bothered since. If I remember rightly the FA had some less than complimentary words to say about FIFA after that so we can forget about hosting another world cup for a long long time.

Absolutely mad though that the country that gave the world association football as it's known has only hosted one world cup in 100 years, whilst the USA, where football is about 8th down the pecking order after beach volleyball and bikini NFL gets two world cups 25 years. What a joke.
Game doesn't need promoting here.

Also, that stuff you said about corruption at FIFA.

Unread 13-06-2018, 03:39 PM
andyroo

Great supporter culture though

Closed Thread