United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-09-2016, 01:42 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
He was simply a ferocious player. Arguably the least talented out of beckham, Scholes and Giggs, yet outperformed them all on pretty much a weekly basis, whilst also improving the performances of all his teammates. If we were in the shit, you could always rely on him to drive us on. I've not seen a player with that influence over a team in the premier league era. He was a £#%&!ing incredible at his peak, and the forementioned players got nowhere near his output and consistency. He was pretty much an 8/10 every week.
The 1999/2000 season where the whole contract saga was going on he was £#%&!ing super human.

Unread 03-09-2016, 01:53 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
At his peak Keane couldn't have been more than 12st and 5'10" surely.

I don't get how he generated all this fear regardless of the 'nutty' persona.
Size isn't everything.

I remember an interview with him once, where the journo remarked that even thought he was surprisingly slight in purely physical terms, he had the presence of someone who would be prepared to launch themselves over the table at you without a seconds hesitation.

Unread 03-09-2016, 02:15 AM
Fat Al

Quite simply, he was a leader.

Turin in 1999. He £#%&!ing dragged Utd thru that tie by the scruff of their necks.

Unread 03-09-2016, 02:27 AM
Clarkie

"Didn't he start against West Brom?"
"I think he did yeah..."

Look at the way his expression changes

Unread 03-09-2016, 03:45 AM
The taste of...

Default lash cars

Said it before and will say it again

Keano would %@#$&! the younger players for turning up in flash motors

Robbo would have them down the pub.

Almost impossible to choose between them but Keano gets it for me.

Headcase.

Unread 03-09-2016, 07:24 AM
elhombre

Quote:

because he was hard as nails mentally.

quite a stupid point, really.

Unread 03-09-2016, 07:24 AM
Stickman

Quote:

He was about 5 8. Nowhere near 12 stone. 11

Unread 03-09-2016, 07:30 AM
forzagarza

Next we'll be hearing flyweight boxers are good at fighting.

Keane was 12 1/2 stone, 5 ft 10 btw. Which is about right if you're incredibly fit with a high muscle to fat ratio

Unread 03-09-2016, 09:32 AM
Pop

Never been replaced and unlikely he will with today's generation of snowflakes.

Look at him ffs

Then this £#%&!ing thing....

Unread 03-09-2016, 10:38 AM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
because he was hard as nails mentally.

quite a stupid point, really.
And obscenely intense in everything he did, and does. He must be an exhausting bastard to be around, that is intimidating just by itself.

Unread 03-09-2016, 02:18 PM
Swagger

https://vine.co/v/OjzXqmUlmzH

Unread 03-09-2016, 03:45 PM
Kent Brockman

Speed was never going to come out on top in that battle.

Unread 03-09-2016, 11:33 PM
Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
Next we'll be hearing flyweight boxers are good at fighting.

Keane was 12 1/2 stone, 5 ft 10 btw. Which is about right if you're incredibly fit with a high muscle to fat ratio
I remember reading in The Second Half that he ended up missing matches in the 2004/5 season because he'd gone on a detox diet and taken it to such an extreme that he'd gone down to 3-4% body fat.

3-4% body fat! That's pretty much anorexic. Gives an insight into how incredibly driven he was.

That said, I still reckon Beckham ran him close to Player of the Season in 99, despite his heroics in Turin.

The way Beckham came back and influenced critical games in that season after his national vilification post the France World Cup put him right up there with Keane in terms of mental toughness and endurance for me.

Unread 04-09-2016, 12:11 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
I remember reading in The Second Half that he ended up missing matches in the 2004/5 season because he'd gone on a detox diet and taken it to such an extreme that he'd gone down to 3-4% body fat.

3-4% body fat! That's pretty much anorexic. Gives an insight into how incredibly driven he was.

That said, I still reckon Beckham ran him close to Player of the Season in 99, despite his heroics in Turin.

The way Beckham came back and influenced critical games in that season after his national vilification post the France World Cup put him right up there with Keane in terms of mental toughness and endurance for me.
I'm not calling you out here, but there is absolutely no way he was 3-4% body fat at any point in his playing career.

Unread 04-09-2016, 12:14 AM
Cream

Quote:

Never get into a pissing contest with a man who's already wet.

Roy was £#%&!ing soaking.

Unread 04-09-2016, 12:21 AM
Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
I'm not calling you out here, but there is absolutely no way he was 3-4% body fat at any point in his playing career.
Here you go Billy - just to be sure I remembered it correctly, I googled Roy Keane 4% body fat and got this article, among others:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...etox-diet.html

I've still got the book upstairs, somewhere.

Unread 04-09-2016, 12:27 AM
Stickman

Quote:

That's absolutely mental, fitness models get down to 5-6% to go on stage and pretty much admit they feel ill until they put some fat back on - if he played at 4% he must have been burnt by half time.

Unread 04-09-2016, 01:02 AM
taff

Quote:

not the size of the dog in the fight etc etc.
Closed Thread