United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-06-2010, 01:30 PM
borsuk

Football veron regrets leaving united

got mixed feelings about what he brought to the team but i loved watching him, genuine world class was seba.

Quote:
Post 2002, the label of "traitor" stuck to the point of him being openly booed when playing for Argentina as recently as last year. His main crime, it seems, was to have played for United, to have embraced David Beckham as a team‑mate. "Manchester was a huge club, and I was the first Argentinian to play there," Verón says. "When I joined I think they had won eight or nine titles in the last 10 years. Going there was both professionally and personally a very big step.

"The most complicated thing for me there was the physical side. The first six months were good, and I got there in good shape having trained a little over the holidays. But I got there and we spent a week together and went out to play! I was used to intense pre-season, working very meticulously on the physical side … in that sense the structure of English football is completely different to everyone else.

"I remember going out to train in the freezing cold, I'd be shivering, and El Colorado [redhead] Scholes would come out and whack the ball without any warm-up whatsoever! I think it's just a genetic difference; they're born like that. If you look closely though when they play outside England they really struggle. Because the rigour of the training is different, the diet is different. For me, coming from five to six years of doing things one way, the change was too big. But I have to say that beyond the sporting side and the difficulties I enjoyed that group enormously, the players and the club were fantastic. The lads have been amazing and even now I get messages and texts from them. So in that sense a superb experience.

"The decision to move wasn't easy. If it was today I think I would approach it very differently. I mean, obviously to a certain extent one makes decisions because one is fairly sure – but I think with hindsight perhaps I wouldn't have moved because I was really comfortable at Manchester, and even the lads came to see me two or three times to talk me into staying.
I guess Mr Ferguson also has a pretty big say in who stays and who goes, but I think if the whole thing happened today I might handle it differently."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...eron-argentina

Unread 09-06-2010, 01:31 PM
believe

Default Re: veron regrets leaving united

i'd like to agree borsers but if you are world class you can make it anywhere.

Unread 09-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Fountz

good piece that.

Remember being chuffed to bits when he signed, really wanted him to do well.

Gutted when he left, he'd played great in the pre-season games over in the states aswell.

Him and Stam going really left me deflated.

Unread 09-06-2010, 01:36 PM
denis lawless

:bi:

Unread 09-06-2010, 01:37 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
i'd like to agree borsers but if you are world class you can make it anywhere.
nah-Scholes couldn't cut it on the left wing but he's still class

Switching Off

Reckon he would make it here today. Fergie was still ewxperimenting with his continental approach back then. Seems to know what he's doing much more now.

florentino ariza

i don't regret veron leaving united

one more time...he was £#%&!ing awful for us. blame him, the manager, the other players, whoever you want. The fact remains he was shite for us and we were a worse team when he played

believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrills_pills_bellyaches
nah-Scholes couldn't cut it on the left wing but he's still class
shut up.

Unread 09-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Dr Gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
good piece that.

Remember being chuffed to bits when he signed, really wanted him to do well.

Gutted when he left, he'd played great in the pre-season games over in the states aswell.

Him and Stam going really left me deflated.
Me too - I was more upset by his departure than Beckham's that summer ; shame it never worked out.

Unread 09-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Jack Duckworth

he was poor for us, regardless of how well he's done anywhere else.

Unread 09-06-2010, 02:05 PM
elephantstone

I alaways remember his last game for us after it had been announced he was joining Chelsea, we were on the US tour and he went out and put in an amazing performance against Juventus.....I know it was only a friendly but he looked what he was was, one of the best players in the world.....just not for us.

Unread 09-06-2010, 02:07 PM
florentino ariza

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
I alaways remember his last game for us after it had been announced he was joining Chelsea, we were on the US tour and he went out and put in an amazing performance against Juventus.....I know it was only a friendly but he looked what he was was, one of the best players in the world.....just not for us.
was not was

walk the dinosaur?

Unread 09-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
he was poor for us, regardless of how well he's done anywhere else.
correct.

Take away his rep and judge him on just what you saw at Utd and he wasnt a very effective player and hardly ever had any grip when we played Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal.

Someone will menton that ball for Forlan as proof he was on top against Chelsea though, even though he came off the bench. The league win in 02 03 had a lot to do with us lining up without him and Beckham for some of the key games in the un in imo.

Unread 09-06-2010, 02:12 PM
florentino ariza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
correct.

Take away his rep and judge him on just what you saw at Utd and he wasnt a very effective player and hardly ever had any grip when we played Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal.

Someone will menton that ball for Forlan as proof he was on top against Chelsea though, even though he came off the bench. The league win in 02 03 had a lot to do with us lining up without him and Beckham for some of the key games in the un in imo.
Solly on the right was dynamite in that run in

Unread 09-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Dr Gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
correct.

OGS had a fantastic run of games playing on the Right wing.

Unread 09-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by florentino ariza
i don't regret veron leaving united

one more time...he was £#%&!ing awful for us. blame him, the manager, the other players, whoever you want. The fact remains he was shite for us and we were a worse team when he played
I do think that South American players tend to need a season to bed in for the reasions Veron mentioned - I don't think many players have come over to England and been a sensation in their first season.

Unread 09-06-2010, 02:16 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
I do think that South American players tend to need a season to bed in for the reasions Veron mentioned - I don't think many players have come over to England and been a sensation in their first season.
Juninho and Anderson to name two

Unread 09-06-2010, 02:17 PM
florentino ariza

Quote:
oh come on, he is saying genetics!

that is an excuse for being a £#%&!ing @#%&!

Unread 09-06-2010, 02:21 PM
elephantstone

Quote:
the reasions to believe?

Unread 09-06-2010, 02:24 PM
dunk

Veron was excellent at OT against Arsenal when ending the 49 game run.

He was also injured for the vast majority of the 2nd half of his second season.

Nowhere near as bad as most claim, would have liked to see him stay longer, but having said that, he spent his entire time at Chelsea injured, so we may have dodged a bullet.

Lovely footballer though.
Closed Thread