United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Cantona's collar

Angry Football is dead

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...em/7063261.stm

Quote:
West Ham non-executive chairman Eggert Magnusson says the Premier League should consider switching games to the USA to boost its global profile.

American football's NFL is hosting a competitive fixture at Wembley on Sunday and the Hammers chief says the Premier League should follow suit.

"I can see that happening sooner rather than later - it would be good for the game," said Magnusson.

American billionaire Stan Kroenke has a 12.2% stake in Arsenal, and believes that the financial incentives of breaking into the USA market will eventually force the Premier League to act.

"There is probably a good chance of getting a game to go over there because both owners could agree to it," he said.

"I think there is a reasonable chance it could take place in the future.

"If the Premier League agreed to it you would have it done. It's something that would have to evolve over time - it would be great if it could be Arsenal."
How long before this happens?

With the increasing involvment of Americans in the Premier League its only a matter of time.

Football is dead

Unread 26-10-2007, 10:49 AM
n48

I saw the Liverpool owner interviewed yesterday and he quite smugly said that Liverpool fans should expect at least one of their games to be played in the states by next season at the earliest. It's inevitable - American owners or major shareholders are hardly going to ignore their home nations and the supposed untapped potential markets there are they? I don't like it but that's the modern world we live in.

Unread 26-10-2007, 10:54 AM
borsuk

Quote:
it would be great if it could be Arsenal
can't argue with that. they could just £#%&! off there permanently and play the odd game in london.

Unread 26-10-2007, 10:55 AM
Luffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by n48
I saw the Liverpool owner interviewed yesterday and he quite smugly said that Liverpool fans should expect at least one of their games to be played in the states by next season at the earliest. It's inevitable - American owners or major shareholders are hardly going to ignore their home nations and the supposed untapped potential markets there are they? I don't like it but that's the modern world we live in.
competitive games played there next season? cant see that happening with your bog standard epl game...maybe a friendly or special trophy or something ala amsterdam tournament or whatever.

I've nothing against trying to tap into the american market - if only to establish early fanbase and dominance over american clubs (cos they could be potential juggernauts if football took off over there). - but cant see teams moving their weekly fixture there, season ticket holders etc would be screwed.

kind of happy the glazers are silent owners now. in a way its better if their interests are purely financial and they have no dreams of building their own vision of a football club.

Unread 26-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Cantona's collar

Three of the top four teams in the country have American owners (Us, Arse and Dippers), its only a matter of time.

The Premier League won't do £#%&! all, they can't afford to upset three of the biggest, infact The three biggest teams (£#%&! Chelsea) in the league.

Unread 26-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Fat Al

This is a bad thing. It will not end well.

Unread 26-10-2007, 11:04 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantona's collar
Three of the top four teams in the country have American owners (Us, Arse and Dippers), its only a matter of time.

The Premier League won't do £#%&! all, they can't afford to upset three of the biggest, infact The three biggest teams (£#%&! Chelsea) in the league.

Arsenal are not owned by Americans.

Yet

Unread 26-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Mr_Ed

Unfortunately the game has been taken away from us and yet people are not prepared to do anything about it...

Could you imagine us playing the vermin in Soldier Field in Chicago - a few regulars would go and it would be carnage. Bring it on I suppose - they may never offer to do it again

Unread 26-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Default Eggbert Magnusson says league games should be played in U.S

Quote:
West Ham non-executive chairman Eggert Magnusson says the Premier League should consider switching games to the USA to boost its global profile.
American football's NFL is hosting a competitive fixture at Wembley on Sunday and the Hammers chief says the Premier League should follow suit.

"I can see that happening sooner rather than later - it would be good for the game," said Magnusson.
Do one.

Unread 26-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Whalefish

Conehead should be smashed in the face.

Unread 26-10-2007, 01:15 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Someone didn't realise how much it was going to cost to bankroll a football team.

Unread 26-10-2007, 01:16 PM
SilverSurfer

Quite like the idea of taking West Ham and fans off to the other side of the world. Just hope they don't come back.

Unread 26-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
Someone didn't realise how much it was going to cost to bankroll a football team.
Co-rrect.

Unread 26-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Spiffy

Wimbledon wanted to relocate to Dublin, the FA said no. They had to be based and play all their games in England. Hopefully the FA will block any attempt to change the rules in order to allow Liverpool to play in a more lucrative country, level playing field and all that.

Of course we know that Liverpool generally get the rules changed to suit themselves so expect Liverpool away to be in Florida next year.

Unread 26-10-2007, 01:42 PM
puressence

it would be brilliant a game in new york £#%&!ing magic

Unread 26-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
it would be brilliant a game in new york £#%&!ing magic
Would you really be happy paying £500+ in total to see us play a game against a team based 35 miles away from OT?

Unread 26-10-2007, 01:49 PM
1MUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantona's collar

How long before this happens?

With the increasing involvment of Americans in the Premier League its only a matter of time.

Football is dead

Get a grip you @#%&!, its never going to happen.

Unread 26-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Sparky***

If I still had my season ticket i wouldn't be too happy being asked to travel to north america to watch one of the biggest games of the season.

Unread 26-10-2007, 01:50 PM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Would you really be happy paying £500+ in total to see us play a game against a team based 35 miles away from OT?
he doesnt go

Unread 26-10-2007, 01:57 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MUFC
Get a grip you @#%&!, its never going to happen.
Do you not think it's been discussed this week?

It'll happen within 3 years, fact.
Closed Thread