http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129695

Unread 01-11-2009, 07:00 AM
SNAFU

Default Re: Obertan

Major case of the nerves i think.

Unread 01-11-2009, 07:15 AM
borsuk

made more and better timed runs without the ball in 20 minutes than nani managed in an hour and, for all his nerves (and he was clearly desperate to do well) he looked a threat. ok, it was against a tired full back but he gave evra and wayne an option ahead of the ball, rather than staying constantly behind the full back. good to see. also impressive that he was able to get into two or three shooting positions inside the box in such a short time. very promising cameo, i thought.

Unread 01-11-2009, 07:42 AM
bcred

Agreed,I can't understand some of the negative comments made.
Bloody good cameo.

Unread 01-11-2009, 08:27 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
made more and better timed runs without the ball in 20 minutes than nani managed in an hour and, for all his nerves (and he was clearly desperate to do well) he looked a threat. ok, it was against a tired full back but he gave evra and wayne an option ahead of the ball, rather than staying constantly behind the full back. good to see. also impressive that he was able to get into two or three shooting positions inside the box in such a short time. very promising cameo, i thought.
thought the same myself.when he came on I though it was a halloween joke. he looks like a walking skeleton. ran like one too for that first break. could almost hear the bones jangling. but as he got into the game more, he looked a lot more direct than nani. but it was only his league debut. give him a few mroe game sunder his belt and he'll be shit.

Unread 01-11-2009, 09:37 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
thought the same myself.when he came on I though it was a halloween joke. he looks like a walking skeleton. ran like one too for that first break. could almost hear the bones jangling. but as he got into the game more, he looked a lot more direct than nani. but it was only his league debut. give him a few mroe game sunder his belt and he'll be shit.

good start for the lad. i'd like to see tosic given some chances as well, can't quite understand that one and i've long since lost patience with nani.

Unread 01-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Sloane

they didnt show his little trick in the box on motd, quick feet liked it

Unread 01-11-2009, 10:05 AM
wiganste

Quote:

good start for the lad. i'd like to see tosic given some chances as well, can't quite understand that one and i've long since lost patience with nani.
Nani is just shit. I've said he's got talent but no end product. He seems to have lost that talent too. Awful player

Unread 01-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Sloane

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Nani is just shit. I've said he's got talent but no end product. He seems to have lost that talent too. Awful player
was that his last chance yesterday? he didnt look happy coming off

Unread 01-11-2009, 10:16 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
I hope so. He just isn't United.

Will probably do well at a club like Sunderland or Everton. Just not good enough for United.

A prime example of his lack of quality stuck out like a sore thumb last night. The pass to Rooney for Berbatovs disallowed goal.

The ball should have been played one or two seconds earlier but he couldn't see that.

Unread 01-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Sloane

Quote:
I hope so. He just isn't United.

Will probably do well at a club like Sunderland or Everton. Just not good enough for United.

A prime example of his lack of quality stuck out like a sore thumb last night. The pass to Rooney for Berbatovs disallowed goal.

The ball should have been played one or two seconds earlier but he couldn't see that.
he gets the ball at his feet and slows it all down though because it takes him an age to make a decision about what to do and then he most often choices the wrong option

Unread 01-11-2009, 10:36 AM
The Mull

Quote:
Is/has there ever been a more frustrating player to wear the shirt?

Unread 01-11-2009, 11:06 AM
denis lawless

huge footballing brain...tiny footballing feet....

his miss near the end was shocking

Unread 01-11-2009, 11:14 AM
borsuk

Quote:
got a pat on the back from fergie, didn't look like fergie was upset with him tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
huge footballing brain...tiny footballing feet....

his miss near the end was shocking
young lad on his debut in front of 70-odd thousand? i'd say it was understandable, really. owen's was shocking.

Unread 01-11-2009, 11:18 AM
borsuk

Quote:
he gets the ball at his feet and slows it all down though because it takes him an age to make a decision about what to do and then he most often choices the wrong option
it's true. he's just very easy for halfway decent defenders to render ineffective because he slows things down and gets into a nice predictable standing start 1 on 2 every single time. never hits a first-time ball, never goes past the full back at pace, just stops with the ball at his feet and lets the defender get set. then rolls it back or tries to cut inside.

Unread 01-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
What he said. Give the lad a chance, he looks promising

Unread 01-11-2009, 12:03 PM
antonin jablonsky

Thumbs up Re: Obertan

I think there is an inherant class about his play and i predict a big future for him at United.

Unread 01-11-2009, 12:04 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I think there is an inherant class about his play and i predict a big future for him at United.
Since when will that stop people on here writing himn off?

We ought to sell him in January to save the bother.

Unread 01-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Mr_Ed

I've not read all this thread but Ronnie took 2/3 years to reach anything near his full potential...

Valencia worries me a bit because he's already in his twenties but we can't judge Obertan on a couple of performances given he's been out for 3 months...!

Unread 01-11-2009, 12:08 PM
borsuk

i think valencia has been doing well for us. improving all the time and gives us good balance on the right. nice defensive side to his play as well. needs more confidence and needs a more athletic and attacking full back behind him imo.

quite happy with valencia tbh.
Closed Thread