United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Withers

Default Charging for the right to apply for aways and scrapping the loyalty pot?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...-united-glazer

Not sure they would be that daft, I imagine they are just testing the water.

Unread 23-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Sloane

Default Re: Charging for the right to apply for aways and scrapping the loyalty pot?

more away tickets to bribe exec renewals.
death to our away support if it happens

Unread 23-04-2010, 11:33 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Default United to charge to apply for away games

http://www.fcbusiness.co.uk/news/art...r+away+tickets

Manchester United are reportedly considering charging fans for the right to apply for away tickets in a move that could make the club £1m and has led one supporters' group to question whether it is a "cynical" move by the Glazer family to recoup the lost revenue from freezing season-ticket prices.

An article in The Guardian suggests that the club are discussing establishing a Premier League travel club in which supporters might have to pay a "nominal" joining fee, the initial figure under consideration being £20, if they want to follow Sir Alex Ferguson's team on the road.

The Independent Manchester United Supporters' Association estimate that more than 50,000 people would join such a scheme. If, as mooted, a charge is introduced, that would potentially make the club a seven-figure sum.

"Supporters would be paying £20 for what would feel like a one-in-50,000 chance of getting a ticket," the IMUSA spokesman, Mark Longden, said. "It's yet another cost for the supporters. You have to be cynical when the Glazer family are concerned and this seems to be a nice way of getting their money back from the season tickets."

United say that nothing has been finalised and that they will listen to the club's official fans' forum before making any decision. The 15-member forum will discuss the idea at a meeting tomorrow involving the chief executive, David Gill, the chief operating officer, Michael Bolingbroke, and the director of venue, Karl Evans.

England's best-supported club currently operate a loyalty-pot scheme for away games but are considering abandoning that policy, despite it forming part of the official Old Trafford charter.

The fans' forum has always opposed any change and United have gone along with that recommendation, but on this occasion some supporters, as well as club officials, have raised concerns that the loyalty pot is a "closed shop", with younger fans unable to break into it, and there is a feeling that the introduction of ID cards would alleviate the issue of persistent standing at away matches.

Several clubs, including Aston Villa, Bolton Wanderers and Manchester City, have cut the size of United's away allocation because of this problem. Sunderland are the latest, issuing only 1,700 tickets for the game at the Stadium of Light on 2 May. The Wearside club have explained their refusal to offer the recommended entitlement of 3,000 on United's followers being identified for "causing a significant safety risk".

United suspended the loyalty pot for a match at Bolton in 2006 to try to stop the fans from standing but it had little effect."There is an argument that they want to sanitise our away support," Longden said. "There is a lot of disillusionment among those in the loyalty pot as I think most people would recognise that loyalty should be recognised."

IMUSA used to be guaranteed a place on the fans' forum, alongside the Manchester United Supporters' Trust in its previous guise as Shareholders United, but that privilege was taken away after the Glazers bought the club

Unread 23-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Sloane

Default Re: United to charge to apply for away games

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142923

Unread 23-04-2010, 11:36 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
oh

dunk

There will be many complaints, and rightly so, but it could stop the people who apply for the odd one when it is a big game, applying and getting one, and give the more regular appliers more of a chance.

Slim hope, I know, but still...

MUFC One Love

United to add the Titanic to their museum.

Unread 23-04-2010, 11:41 AM
waynes ear's

god i wish someone would point cameras at away ends every £#%&!ing game up and down the country week in week out

someone tell that fat @#%&! Mark Longden to shut the £#%&! up and £#%&! off. waste of time that @#%&! even speaking

Unread 23-04-2010, 11:44 AM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
There will be many complaints, and rightly so, but it could stop the people who apply for the odd one when it is a big game, applying and getting one, and give the more regular appliers more of a chance.

Slim hope, I know, but still...
Say if 30000 stump up £25 to join this 'travel club', that's £750,000 in the clubs pocket for doing £#%&! all.

All it will do is bring the chances of the apllicant getting a ticket down from about 1 in 50 to 1 in 40.

Unread 23-04-2010, 11:47 AM
MUFC One Love

Just the next step in United picking our away support. They don't want any undesirables, do they?

£#%&!ing hell I hate United as a club tbh.

Unread 23-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Sloane

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Just the next step in United picking our away support. They don't want any undesirables, do they?

£#%&!ing hell I hate United as a club tbh.
its exatly what it is, and to encourage more exec renewals because they will have more chance of getting away tickets.

Unread 23-04-2010, 11:52 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
its exatly what it is, and to encourage more exec renewals because they will have more chance of getting away tickets.
I would say more clubs will also implement this, but looking at it a lot of clubs rely on their hardcore support etc. United can get away with having our support made up of complete #@&%!s.

The good thing is there has been more and more empty seats at O.T this season so the club know they can't push it now in terms of our home support.

Unread 23-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Spiffy

I'm glad they have done this, everyone should be boycotting next season anyway. All that green and gold means £#%&! all if they don't follow through with withdrawing their revenue stream.

Unread 23-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
I'd rather have OT filled with the prawn sandwich brigade and not have the Glazers than have OT filled with die hard reds and keep the Glazers.
but that's not the only choice, is it?

better to have ordinary fans at OT and be shut of the glazers. it would be achievable, too, if people boycotted OT but still went away and voiced their opposition to glaze there. short-term sacrifice for long-term gain.

Unread 23-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
but that's not the only choice, is it?

better to have ordinary fans at OT and be shut of the glazers. it would be achievable, too, if people boycotted OT but still went away and voiced their opposition to glaze there. short-term sacrifice for long-term gain.
True but we will never get it done, too many people don't really care.

Re away tickets, does the money go to United or the club who are playing at home? If it goes to the home club then fair do's, get everyone just going away.

Unread 23-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
True but we will never get it done, too many people don't really care.

Re away tickets, does the money go to United or the club who are playing at home? If it goes to the home club then fair do's, get everyone just going away.
just the home club, i think.

Unread 23-04-2010, 01:52 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
The point is being missed.

Lots of people DO just go away now. Do they pay premiums for their tickets off touts each time? No.

They get them off mates in the loyalty pot (and people who apply on execs)

If the loyalty pot gets disbanded it £#%&!s everything up for alot of our hardcore away support.

Unread 23-04-2010, 01:54 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
The point is being missed.

Lots of people DO just go away now. Do they pay premiums for their tickets off touts each time? No.

They get them off mates in the loyalty pot (and people who apply on execs)

If the loyalty pot gets disbanded it £#%&!s everything up for alot of our hardcore away support.
I know a few who have been doing just that this season, 1 who was forced to rely on others after being kicked out of the loyalty pot for getting his application for Bolton away in a few days late

Unread 23-04-2010, 02:01 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I know a few who have been doing just that this season, 1 who was forced to rely on others after being kicked out of the loyalty pot for getting his application for Bolton away in a few days late
A few days? Oh dear.

I'm still in it, miraculously. I actually missed an app for the Blackburn League Cup Semi a few years ago, phoned up ready to plead my case only to be told told the application was still open as we hadn't sold out at that point.

Unread 23-04-2010, 02:09 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
A few days? Oh dear.

I'm still in it, miraculously. I actually missed an app for the Blackburn League Cup Semi a few years ago, phoned up ready to plead my case only to be told told the application was still open as we hadn't sold out at that point.
That was fortunate.

The guy in question is a bit of a snapper and he was £#%&!ing fuming for days.

He's only missed 1 away in about 3 years prior to the Bolton escapade, he was unhappy.
Closed Thread