United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-09-2016, 10:19 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
£#%&! all you like over pep, but we made them look good and it had nothing to do with 6-line structures.
Spot on.

If we can be such a disorganised rabble, carrying 2 passengers in our team and almost come out of it with a 2-2 draw, it doesn't say so much for them being invincible.

Unread 14-09-2016, 11:13 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Yes, also pep has taken over a much stronger squad that hasn't lost 30 league games in the last 3 seasons. People seem to be overlooking this. These two teams haven't started on equal footing, only one squad is an unbalanced mess and it isn't Citys.
Don't agree with that really. They have great quality up top in Aguero and De Bruyne but other than that it's a squad that was awfully prepared for Guardiola's arrival. A back four and goalkeeper poor at building the play, the lumbering Toure in midfield. He'll be delighted that he's 100% so far because many of these players won't be there next season.

United's squad I don't feel is imbalanced. He has guys there in Carrick, Schnweini and Schneiderlin who would probably help control a midfield better, and the options that could be explored by dropping Rooney are interesting.

The main issue with us is still a little lack of leadership from the back into midfield, and the fact that we have a manager trying to erase two years of coaching of a manager who asks very different things. Blind being told not to play out from the back a good example from the weekend; Mourinho displeased at how often he looked to pass short instead of clearing his lines.

Unread 14-09-2016, 11:21 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Don't agree with that really. They have great quality up top in Aguero and De Bruyne but other than that it's a squad that was awfully prepared for Guardiola's arrival. A back four and goalkeeper poor at building the play, the lumbering Toure in midfield. He'll be delighted that he's 100% so far because many of these players won't be there next season.

United's squad I don't feel is imbalanced. He has guys there in Carrick, Schnweini and Schneiderlin who would probably help control a midfield better, and the options that could be explored by dropping Rooney are interesting.

The main issue with us is still a little lack of leadership from the back into midfield, and the fact that we have a manager trying to erase two years of coaching of a manager who asks very different things. Blind being told not to play out from the back a good example from the weekend; Mourinho displeased at how often he looked to pass short instead of clearing his lines.
Well maybe that's because he'd be better used to sit infront of the back 4 with a proper centre back behind him.

Unread 14-09-2016, 11:24 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Well maybe that's because he'd be better used to sit infront of the back 4 with a proper centre back behind him.
In a Mourinho side maybe, though he'd probably prefer more physicality. He was excellent for us last season, but I don't see him lasting the course. There's literally no point in playing Blind as a CB if you're going to tell him he can't play out. I'm expecting Smalling back in alongside Bailly before long.

Unread 14-09-2016, 11:41 PM
jem

agreed. we have midfield options, including hard/mobile players like valencia, tfm, schneidi... clever players like carrick and blind... attacking players like pogba, mkhit, herrera, lingard, schweini, pereira.... just not picking the right blend or number of them. we are short of solid fullbacks, if anything.

Unread 15-09-2016, 06:31 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
£#%&! all you like over pep, but we made them look good and it had nothing to do with 6-line structures.
what i'm saying is that guardiola has done nothing special, he's just given them immediately a strategy to slow the game - and the opponent - down, use the entire length of the field as well as the width to space the game out, and thereby exploit the pace and change of tempo his players are capable of.

Quote:

again though, mourinho gave his team - by the sounds of it - a very clear strategy to avoid the initial central press ie don't play certain passes, play it wide or long from centre back by default instead.

completely agree with you though, no point using blind in the back line if you don't want the team to play from there and sadly i expect we'll be back to two standard centre backs very soon. the whole idea of united developing into a top continental-style team is all but over for the foreseeable. if we get back to winning ways that's fine i suppose, but if we don't then what a £#%&!ing farce the last 3 years has been. and if city continue as they are, then even moreso...

Unread 15-09-2016, 08:51 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
guardiola has basically slowed city down and stretched the pitch long using his 6 line structure. [SIZE="1"]He's done this.....

Unread 15-09-2016, 08:54 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Spot on.

If we can be such a disorganised rabble, carrying 2 passengers in our team and almost come out of it with a 2-2 draw, it doesn't say so much for them being invincible.
Pogba and ???

Unread 15-09-2016, 09:00 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Pogba and ???
De Gea

Unread 15-09-2016, 09:15 AM
redhegemony

Without Mata and/or Carrick we look woefully short of passing ability probably why we ended up playing so long. Need to get a body in midfield who can distribute effectively.

Got good enough runners with the ball.

Unread 15-09-2016, 09:27 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
Without Mata and/or Carrick we look woefully short of passing ability probably why we ended up playing so long. Need to get a body in midfield who can distribute effectively.

Got good enough runners with the ball.
Carrick pogba
Mata miki martial

Unread 15-09-2016, 04:19 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
again though, mourinho gave his team - by the sounds of it - a very clear strategy to avoid the initial central press ie don't play certain passes, play it wide or long from centre back by default instead.

completely agree with you though, no point using blind in the back line if you don't want the team to play from there and sadly i expect we'll be back to two standard centre backs very soon. the whole idea of united developing into a top continental-style team is all but over for the foreseeable. if we get back to winning ways that's fine i suppose, but if we don't then what a £#%&!ing farce the last 3 years has been. and if city continue as they are, then even moreso...
Feel your pain, brother.

Smalling and Bailly shanking it in big games is the future.

Unread 15-09-2016, 04:43 PM
jem

Quote:
Feel your pain, brother.

Unread 15-09-2016, 07:13 PM
red in cumbria

Anybody starting to get deja vu now?

Unread 16-09-2016, 05:59 AM
Harri Jaffa

Thumbs up

Quote: